Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Atheists and Agnostics on this site

Past Member
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:23 pm
This is a great community. Consider joining.
I consider myself non-religious but spiritual. To quote my favorite author (Edward Abbey)

"I am not an Atheist, I am a Eartheist"

Even when I was deathly sick, I never felt the need to pray. My thoughts were with my family and how they would do without me.

I do not believe in a diety, I do not believe in an afterlife. I do believe in nature, in the cosmos, in things that happen that cannot be explained (yet).

I just wanted to see if others out there feel similar, please join this thread.

Aaron

PS-If you are religious, please refrain from commenting on this thread, it's not for you.
These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Past Member
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:50 pm
i don't necessarily believe in the afterlife or a specific deity, but i do believe in the concept of a soul. I like the idea that the Universe is sentient, and we are It trying to figure Itself out. I also like the idea of a "Prime Mover", a consciousness that we cannot comprehend that got the Universe going (with the Big Bang), which i guess could be considered a deity, but i don't pray to It.
Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 pm
I think sir;
That regardless of your admonition not to post replies to your post, you will receive some responses.  There are after all some things that simply cannot be explained by the "big bang" theory.  Merely by the fact that it is after all , a theory.  No one knows for sure.  I personally find much solace in the fact that there just might be another explaination.  It is hard to believe that something as  simple and as beautiful as a blade of grass, cannot be reproduced in a labratory by man,          just happened.

Yes my friend, I imagine that you have opened up your own Pandora's box, especially in this forum where so many have gotten solace and strength from the very diety that you so disdain.

Good luck though.................

Jack
Past Member
Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 pm
I think the request is about avoiding lengthy posts about accepting The Lord Jesus Christ as one's Personal Saviour and related.

And i detect no disdain to any deity, but thank you for your opinion.
Past Member
Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:37 pm

christiesdad wrote:

Yes my friend, I imagine that you have opened up your own Pandora's box, especially in this forum where so many have gotten solace and strength from the very diety that you so disdain.

Good luck though.............

Jack

You are the exact reason I asked religious people not to respond. You assume because I am not religious that I have disdain for a deity. Well you are wrong christiedad, I have disdain for people who feel the need to not give me the freedom to NOT be religious.

People like you...
Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 pm
Ok, so maybe the word disdain was not the best selection of a word for me to use and I have gotten my come-uppance about that and I appologize if I offended you sir.  What I meant was that there are a lot of people in here that dearly cling to their beliefs sir.

And of course you have every right to your convictions.  I should have not, as you so well pointed out, replied to this post.  I will not in the future.

be well,
Jack
Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 am

christiesdad wrote:
What I meant was that there are a lot of people in here that dearly cling to their beliefs sir.

There are indeed and those that do believe and those that don't will never agree. I think the saying goes something like 'you can argue my beliefs but not my faith'. For both sides of the camp that generally means end of a discussion that would just be going round in a circle.

I personally would like to say I am agnostic but I think athiest is more likely.
Past Member
Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 am
For me, it's a matter of faith, not necessarily a matter of belief. Does that make me agnostic?
Past Member
Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:26 pm
i'm a cross between agnostic, dyslexic and insomniac,.. i stay awake all night wondering if there really IS a Dog   Wink
Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:04 pm

waterboy wrote:
i'm a cross between agnostic, dyslexic and insomniac,.. i stay awake all night wondering if there really IS a Dog   Wink

Aw,, now sarcasam
Past Member
Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 pm
Actually, no,.. it's just plain old humor. You just can't help yourself, can you?
Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:26 pm
Hi waterboy, man but that saying has been around for a long time, I have no problem writing it down, but telling it to someone I always screw it up. Good one though, Ed
Sat May 25, 2013 1:28 pm
Hey Aaron, sorry I didn't see this earlier.  I'm very interested.  I actually wrote some stuff about God, prayer and the like and I have no real proof about so many of those things.  I listen to and respect all intelligent opinions on the subject and hope to learn from them.  
You write that you believe in nature and the cosmos.  I don't know what you mean by that but I'm interested. As far as things that can't be explained, hell (no pun intended), sometimes my own actions are unexplainable to me.
The most enticing question to me is "what was before the Big Bang?"  Or, "what was before the beginning?"  Any thoughts?
Respectfully,
Mike
Past Member
Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm

iMacG5 wrote:
The most enticing question to me is "what was before the Big Bang?"  Or, "what was before the beginning?"

This gets my theoretical physics juices flowing, which may not be on topic for this thread. Such as did Time exist before the Big Bang or was it created by it? If it did exist, then what was going on when it was Big Bang Eve?

But as far as theology and faith and all that rot, i will reintroduce the concept of the "Prime Mover", or that which got the Big Bang a'banging, because how else can you get something from nothing?

A
Sat May 25, 2013 7:02 pm
Some day when you have an hour to spare I'm sure you will find this lecture by Lawrence Krauss explain how we can get a universe from nothing, a really interesting lecture that most people will find rewarding, Ed, universalist,

Lawrence Krauss- The Universe From Nothing

http://www.openculture.com/2011/09/a_universe_from_nothing_by_lawrence_krauss.html
Past Member
Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Sinfulsot wrote:
But as far as theology and faith and all that rot, i will reintroduce the concept of the "Prime Mover", or that which got the Big Bang a'banging, because how else can you get something from nothing?

I guess i should have been more specific. It is ONE way, but certainly not the only way. I hope i find the time to review that lecture.
Sat May 25, 2013 11:47 pm
It will be worth your while, this guy has a great sense of humor, Ed
Past Member
Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 am
While that Krauss wrote the Physics of Star Trek and i find this sort of stuff very interesting, i think we're off topic.
Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 am
Could be, but I thought his lack of theology fit right in there with the original posters' vein of ideas, Ed
Sun May 26, 2013 10:53 am
Hey Sinful, can't wait for your "Prime Mover" concept.  In the meantime i"m adding some "BEGINNING" stuff.  Thanks for the motivation.
I was just thinking which is something I don’t do too often. I was thinking about the beginning; the beginning of everything.  According to the Book of Genesis, Luke, John, Bibles, Proverbs and other translations or transliterations, there was the beginning and something happened.  If we disregard religion, there’s the Big Bang Theory, which explains that our universe did have a beginning and further explains how it happened nearly 14 billion years ago.  So many of the attempts to translate the scriptures were done allegorically with or without selfish motives.  There are lots of interesting theories and some make lots of sense.  Some of us don’t entertain some theories because they don’t fit our religious beliefs.  For whatever specific reason, we’re here because something happened some time ago, way back at the beginning.  Here’s my problem.  What was it like before the beginning?  What was before the beginning, before the Big Bang or the seven days or seventy zillion years it took for some supreme power to create the universe? Einstein said,  “The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible”.   OK for Einstein but most of it is way beyond my comprehension.  I know there are things like gravity, mass, speed, time, protons, electrons, neutrons, electro magnetism, and more that I don’t know about.  Did they always exist?  Did they exist before the Big Bang or before the “Creation” of the universe? Where were they before the beginning?  When I think about how long ago things like pyramids were built I wonder how much “time” there was before the first was built.  Time.  Was there always time? Was there time before the beginning?
See, that’s why I don’t think a lot.  I end up with so many more questions than answers. Another problem is I don’t know where to find the answers to these questions.  Depending on whom I ask I’ll get a scientific or religious answer or just a weird look.
Thanks for your patience.  Mike
Past Member
Mon May 27, 2013 10:32 pm
I think the Prime Mover concept is just another way to say Intelligent Design. assuming i understand what that means.
Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 am
Here in Wales there are quite a few Pagan,s who believe in the earth God,s.There was a Pagan Wedding not long ago.It made the main TV channels as well.We still have Druids and an Arch Druid.Sounds strange to some. We are a bit behind the times.The after life is debatable
Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:38 am
I am with you guys.  What is the correct  version of creation?
The biblical or the scientific? Both seem  to  me  to have credence.  Is  it  possible that the two theories coincide?  I would suspect that there  was  a pretty big bang somewhere  along  the line.  But  that does not  explain things like grass, flower petals etc.  I mean, we have put men on  the moon  but cannot create one blade  of  grass nor one flower petal.  Yet  we  can  clone?  And, if it was the big bang, how is it that, if every thing was created at one time, what keeps  the  process continuing?  When grass or a flower  dies, why does it come back, but not humans.  I know that babies are born to replace those  that have passed  on.  But all grass blades look  the  same, so why don't we humans?
I have an idea as far as the religious theory goes;  religion was created by the rich to keep  the  poor in check.  The rich told the poor  that  while on this  earth they would  always be poor and down trodden.  But if they behaved, one day they would walk on streets of gold and live in  mansions. Since the poor had  no choice, they succumbed to this belief, in order  to survive.  The rich embedded the clergy to spread this word and rewarded them well for their services.  Know any poor clergymen in todays world?  It's working!
My poor Grandmother would have a fit it she were to read what I have just written, God bless her.
Jack
Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm

In my humble opinion I don't believe we have to go back as far as the Big Bang theory to understand a wee bit of the working of the cosmos. About four and a half billion years ago a star in our neighborhood went Super Nova discharging enough material to cause a flaming ball of molten iron which in turn was blasted with remnants of that star with enough force to create a satellite of the larger portion of the remnants which gave us the Earth and the Moon. Now thinking of this ball of molten material and the beginning of our planet and the multitude of changes it had to go through to evolve into this beautiful Pale Blue Dot we call earth. We have to be grateful to our world of brilliant scientists to bring us the causes that brought us to where we are today and our understanding of the cosmos, which basically followed the processes of which we can be familiar with because of our understanding of our Earth and Moon and our neighbors in our universe.And so we follow the trail from a ball of molten iron and other materials to what we have today, and all this started four and a half billion years ago and if we just step back in time to a measly ten thousand years and as we go forward we are blessed with the interpretations of a people not in the least capable of telling us how they know how and when this stage of the Earth came to be but they had no trouble coming up with a plethora of gods and their laws for just about every section of the Earth where man has set foot and each one of them have to be right, and this righteousness has caused mankind to be constantly at war and if you do not follow our path to our promised land in the hereafter, then be prepared to suffer or die. And when it comes to inflicting pain and suffering there is no peer to religious atrocities, and yet we seem to thrive on this mass of molten material that still resides at the center of our Pale Blue Dot, and so if we were to spend more time thinking of how we arrived at where we are at present I think it would be time well spent rather than trying to understand how the Big Bang came to be. Although the theories about how and when this event took place can surely keep ones mind working overtime hoping that scientists can find a way to make this more easily understood, and there you have my two cents worth and kudos to the other posters for joining in a fascinating post, Ed
Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 am
Yes Ed! That does it for me mate.
Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 am

christiesdad wrote:

I have an idea as far as the religious theory goes;  religion was created by the rich to keep  the  poor in check.  The rich told the poor  that  while on this  earth they would  always be poor and down trodden.  But if they behaved, one day they would walk on streets of gold and live in  mansions. Since the poor had  no choice, they succumbed to this belief
Jack

without the concept of religion or "god" there is no right or wrong. there are no "rules".

man then is no different than any other animal, to lie, cheat, steal and even to kill is acceptable if it benefits you. are you saying that is what you belive??

would someone who doesnt belive in god please explain the difference between right and wrong...of good vs evil to me. i am interested to hear your basic concept of these terms and more importantly how you arrive at them.

there are so many things in nature that simply cannot be explained without god....... would anyone agree??

this is not meant to be combative, i am simply curious.
Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:55 pm
So with religion we would all know good from evil. It seems to me that most of the problems around the globe at present and in the past do and have been caused by religion and the need to impose those beliefs on others. Some believe that their religion or God superior to another. It appears to be that without a God or belief in some form of religion then maybe I am better off. So if there is a deity then please explain the difference between what should occur to what is occurring in the world or has occurred in the past. Surely these powers have the ability to install that knowledge of right from wrong or good from evil or maybe it is us non believers that cause the problems  as we do not possess the ability to differentiate the two.

We have the power within to know the difference of right from wrong. This is a product of generations before me instilling these innate beliefs upon my distant relatives and comes from experience. If you want to believe that a God initiated this then so be it.As many in my family over time and presently share the same non beliefs as myself and we have a loving family environment I will happily settle for what we have than to hold onto a tenuous grip upon a belief in something not tangible and appears to cause more problems than we desire. By all means have the theory that without a God or person telling you what to believe there is chaos but we have the same innate right to live our lives safe in the knowledge that we can decipher the difference between good and evil without a belief in some form of higher being.
Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:47 am

mild_mannered_super_hero wrote:

without the concept of religion or "god" there is no right or wrong. there are no "rules".

man then is no different than any other animal, to lie, cheat, steal and even to kill is acceptable if it benefits you. are you saying that is what you belive??

would someone who doesnt belive in god please explain the difference between right and wrong...of good vs evil to me. i am interested to hear your basic concept of these terms and more importantly how you arrive at them.

there are so many things in nature that simply cannot be explained without god....... would anyone agree??

this is not meant to be combative, i am simply curious.

MMSH,
re "is that what you believe?" part of my post. No I do not believe that all those things are fine as long as they benefit me. If you back check on my post, you will see me reference to with all we can do, we cannot produce one single blade of grass. That is what makes me believe that there is a Superior Being who can do just that. thereby, in my belief, there has to be and must be a Superior Being with all power. My remark about religion being created by the rich to control the poor was  just my idle thought.  Through out history, those in power, kept power by the "carrot/stick" premise  not  merely by armed force.  Armed  force  will  eventually  fail as a  controlling  force. (i.e.=the Romans, the Mongols, the Egyptians, etc) Not so  trickery.
Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm

christiesdad wrote:

That is what makes me believe that there is a Superior Being who can do just that. thereby, in my belief, there has to be and must be a Superior Being with all power.

ok jack, i was just curious.

i personally have no doubt there is a god......i find it hard to comprehend someone who doesnt.

i have lived a rural lifestyle all my life, so many things in nature that i am very familar with cannot be explained via any other "logic".

i will exit this thread, since the original poster doesnt welcome any dissenting opinions
Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:13 pm
MMSH,
Don't do  this.  The  original  poster  hasn't  replied  since  his  original post  except  the  one  time  when he  admonished  me  in  that  I  was  the  reason  he  said  not  to  reply.  Screw  him!.  Your  desertation  talents  are  far  superior  for an  old  country  boy.  You  are  above  all that.  Besides,  you  are  not a quitter.

Jack
* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.