Ileostomy Reversal Success Story - A Must Read!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Miniroll

Sorry, it's so difficult doing a post by phone - apologies for the autocorrect, etc!

My wound is already nearly healed. I'm able to dress it myself at home without input from nursing. My surgeon also warned that they would need to find and remove scar tissue at the time of takedown due to the number of abdominal surgeries I've had (including a c-section), but they found nothing. So, this is really good news for the future functionality of the jpouch.

I know healing has been helped by the amount of acupuncture I have, plus taking lots of strong arnica tablets before and after every surgery, and castor oil packs to help the scar tissue. The medics don't see the benefits of any of this, but I am absolutely certain it's why I've healed so quickly and well.

I would say reversal surgery is a difficult decision - especially if you are very indecisive like me and have little ones you are responsible for, as you have to think about the impact on them - it's not just you.

However, it's the best risky decision I've ever made and would recommend anyone who is considering it to take the chance. Good luck all.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Roshan

I had my colon ruptured and went through colon restructure surgery. Soon after my surgery, I developed an infection. Now I'm free of infection. But my surgeon is hesitant to do my surgery. He thinks that it would be very risky and even death can occur. I'm very scared but living with an ostomy is also very difficult. I just need emotional help, prayers, and advice. Should I go for reversal or keep my stoma? Reading some positive stories is encouraging, but I need to know more people who had a successful reversal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Roshan

Thank you, destinystar. I was looking for someone with positive views who had their ostomy reversed. I had my colon resection surgery due to perforation. One foot of my colon was removed. I developed a post-op infection which lasted about seven months. My doctor says I'm high risk for reversal. Your story gave me strength and hope. My doctor is considering my age as well. I'm a 72-year-old female, in good health other than my ostomy problem. What would you suggest for me? I will wait for your reply. Hope you are feeling great by now.

sjl

I had my ileostomy reversal five weeks ago. I went to a colorectal surgeon here in North Carolina who had an excellent reputation for complicated cases (as I was told mine would be).

Let me say that it's the best decision I have made in years.

I had my ileostomy for seven months prior to this surgery. I was in the hospital for 10 days because I had a GI complication and endoscopy. That was handled just fine. Prior to the procedure, I had spent about 45 minutes with the surgeon on a consult who warned me about all the negative aspects that could occur. He covered all the bases. He had also taken the time to thoroughly read my medical records going back years, so he had a very in-depth knowledge of my case.

My surgery took five hours, much longer than the average reversal procedure. I have had no pain and healing has progressed much better than I ever expected. I take Miralax and various products to make sure everything is passing nicely. I go an average of three times a day and have never had any accidents. Frankly, I am shocked at how easy this has been. I hope I haven't jinxed myself saying that.

I believe the secret is to find a competent, skilled surgeon who specializes. He was referred by my regular surgeon.

Just wanted to add another positive outcome. I feel very blessed.

holdenk
Reply to destinystar

Thank you for posting this information. I've had my ileostomy for a year and a half and plan to discuss my options at my next appointment soon. At first, I just figured I'd keep the bag since you hear of others doing that. But then I realized I should get all the facts before I make a decision.

I have a question. How often did you empty the bag when you had it? I can't believe you only use the bathroom once a day. Does it ever feel bloated or full? I obviously have no idea how it all works, and I'll soon find out, I suppose.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister