Pants with a bag: How to manage?

Replies
Views
ballpeen

Hello Sven, I've worn my bag under my slacks since I adopted this plastic thing. I always wear an ostomy belt underneath for extra confidence. I wear my pant belt above the bag. You'll have to make that decision depending on where the top of the bag is located. I wear loose fitting clothes also because of the hernia. Good luck to you. BALLPEEN

caweekley
I guess I am the strange one. I have had a colostomy since 2008. I am very short-waisted, so high-waisted pants are not an option for me. I just wear hip-hugger jeans, the ultra-low ones, and let my bag hang. I wear longer shirts that cover it up and never give it a thought. I like tighter jeans, so it works great. No pressure on the bag, and it all works.

I do wear yoga pants and think they are great. It gives me more support than just wearing jeans and letting it hang. But I have also found that wearing the long spandex-type camisoles and pulling it down over my bag with a second shirt over the top. That gives me a little more secure feeling with my bag closer to my body, but it is all just what is comfortable for you. I wear the looser shirt over the camisole so if I do EXPAND while out in public, there is nothing to be embarrassed about. I am the only one that can tell it.

I tend to be a people watcher, and I can tell you for a fact that I see very few people with an ostomy that you can tell by looking at them. I think we are all very aware that we wear a bag and cover it up very well, kind of like out of sight, out of mind?? I'm not sure, but I did see a man not too long ago that had a t-shirt on and had a big belly with his pants down low. I could actually see his pouch, but all I could think is good for you! If someone sees it and asks what it is, we are educating the masses. And for the others that just want to look, shame on them for not asking. No question is a dumb one unless it isn't asked!!

Just find a style of clothes that is comfortable for you and wear it. Our pouches are like badges of honor. We got them out of necessity and shouldn't be ashamed if they are noticeable. Shortly after I started wearing mine, my husband would tell me my bag was sticking out if I wore a little short of a shirt or if I lifted my arms over my head to reach for something at the grocery store. He said he did that because he didn't want me to be embarrassed. It was kind of him, but I soon learned I am not going to hide or be ashamed if it shows. I try to be modest but am not going to fear being seen if it were to happen.

Good luck in finding your style that is comfortable and works just for you!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sven

Okay, sorry for not replying to any of you guys. Apparently, I don't get an e-mail for replies on my posts. My uniform is a blue shirt and tan/brown slacks/jeans. No yoga pants, sweat pants, or anything resembling pajamas. Suspenders are within code, but I think scrubs are okay, and we sell them in tan. So that's an option for work.
I'm not terribly worried about anyone seeing Steve, but when I'm on the job, I know my managers will not take very kindly to me letting Steve see the world. I have an ileostomy that sits a little lower than my belly button on the right side, so the jeans I wear sit on my hips instead of at my waist. As far as swimming and sports, I saw a really cute one-piece with a little skirt attached that looks cute, so I might wear that. Not that I have any inclination to go swimming, yet. Haha. Summer continues long into October around here, and there are several water parks, so I may grab the beau and go swimming when I can get a proper suit. I'm looking into a support belt for outdoor activity, as well as something I can wear to work because I still get pain in my abdomen from time to time.
When I'm around the apartment or with my friends, I typically let the bag hang down outside of my pants. It doesn't get too full, so even though I wear a two-piece, I'm not worried about it coming apart and leaking everywhere.
I'll look into irrigating, though I have to be honest. I don't mind the bag since I just empty it whenever I go to pee. The bags I use now are the Hollister two-piece with a filter and clamp. Mostly because that's what I started with from the kit my WOC/ET nurse sent me after leaving the hospital. I like them quite well, except the filter gets clogged after roughly a day. Still trying to figure out how to fix that.
So wraps and intimacy belts are recommended for the bedroom? Got it. The beau hasn't complained about my bag rustling in the bed, but the fact that the plastic is between two bodies, well, yeah. Had an almost-pulled-the-bag-off moment recently, so definitely need to fix that. Haha! I will say, some of the bag covers are kinda funny. I'm thinking about getting the one that says "Shit Happens" and others similar, just because that is the sense of humor I have. Maybe even get some for holidays, just for the giggles.
I haven't had to wear a dress, yet, but I'll keep Spanx in mind.
Are there any stomach-supporting belts you guys would recommend? I'm a little worried about herniating something, since I'm going back to work soon, and sales may as well be a full-contact sport.

pphilli1

The Ostomysecrets underwear seems to work great at holding the pouch in the built-in pocket. I've recently bought some and plan on stocking up. They are secure enough to hold it all in place without bouncing around. Give it a shot.

sony34

I am going to try the Awestomy website and see what they have. My ostomy is at my belly button area too, and I have only found some of OstomySecret items to work for me. But if there is something better out there, I am definitely willing to try them out... Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
MissMeganM

No problem! I have the same problem with the Ostomysecrets items; only the bathing suit bottom really works for me. I think they are made more for peeps with colostomies, it seems like those are usually situated lower. I don't like the Ostomysecrets wraps because they are just too narrow and that pocket is tiny!!! I don't know how the hell people cram a pouch in there, I had to fold mine up like five times to get it to fit LOL

Past Member

I bought a Stealthbelt early on and never looked back. Check out www.stealthbelt.com. I have recommended them to so many people. I now have three, one could be wet after swimming, one to wear, and one extra "just in case". I've thought about Spanx but just haven't made the leap. I've also considered Tommy Copper compression clothing (either a camisole top or high-waisted pants) to give my poor aching lower back support at the same time as minimizing my stoma bump. Haven't quite pulled the trigger on that one yet either.

Anyway, good question! Check out what's out there and find what works best for you. I promise, there's something that will work perfectly just for you. Good luck!

Royal T

Hi Sven...
As a tall female, I wear pants with a high waistband designed for pregnant women. I buy them at the Tall Girls Shop. They are great because the front panel is made of an elastic material, so my bag can fill without being constricted. I just wear a longer styled top or sweater to cover the front panel.
T...

Teddiee

I disagree, I'm afraid....sorry. Keep your ostomy covered up!! I'm no prude and have had my ileostomy for years, but even I would be embarrassed seeing an ostomy appliance on show. There's no need for it to be on show whatsoever. With all the wonderful clothing available out there, this is not a problem. Ostomies.....better draped.

Teddiee

Keep it covered!!! Much better draped!!!

Nicky-T

Boo, I say. Who cares whether "they" can see it or not.

NT

Teddiee

Hmmmm.....on this topic, I have asked a few friends of mine for their honest opinion on ostomy appliances being "on show", or not. The age range of those asked was one 17-year-old, one 29, one 39, and one 57. Unanimous opinion? - They all preferred not to see ostomies on show, expressing their apologies on their opinion - and due respect to all ostomates.

flowerlady

Hi Royat T, same here, I wear maternity jeans with the nice stretchy material at the waist area and a long top over. My output is quite thick so I am not able to wear jeans that are tight in the abdomen area as it would restrict the output.