Physical Activities After Ostomy Surgery: Roller Coasters & Weightlifting?

Replies
Views
CharK63

Dear Ryder,

I didn't ride a roller coaster until 6 months after my reversal. Then I had a hernia operation. Following that, I finally had a MRSA infection in my stoma site diagnosed that took 3 months to heal and this weekend I'm heading back to Santa Cruz Boardwalk to ride The Giant Dipper! Whoop, whoop!

I want to respond to your question about leakages burning. I had an inverted stoma that I couldn't place the barrier around, so I was almost in constant contact with bowel leakage. If you get to it fast enough, there's not much skin damage. I had more problems with the adhesives ripping my skin and then the leaks burned terrifically. I often had to change my bag 3 times a day, and freshly applied adhesives adhere more. After a couple of days, the bag is much easier to remove.

I don't know how familiar you are with the appliances, but I suggest you look at one before you decide it's worth shortening your life over.

There are many kinds of ostomy bags to fit your needs. I would have found something that worked for me, and some fellow ostomates gave me advice on how to adapt one for my problem.

If I say this wrong, friends, please correct me, but as I understand it, your stoma will stick out some so that the ring in the appliance fits around it, then the adhesive sticks it to your skin snugly and provides a 'barrier' against leakages. It takes some trial and error, and of course, it's not foolproof.

I was told that during my emergency operation, my surgeon worked at making mine stick out but couldn't. I had stoma repair surgery after 4 months that didn't work either because of skin folds. My body kept trying to heal the stoma incision (I'm chunky now, but I had lost 100 lbs., so there's a lot of loose skin.)

If you review comments from other members, you'll see how many folks' quality of life improved dramatically after surgery, as well as many who've decided to opt out of reversal surgery because they are content with managing the bag. There are many folks here that have had appliances forever it seems.

For myself, when I finally regained consciousness after 5 days in ICU, I was thrilled to be alive, and I'd do it again if I have to. Thank goodness you found this site. We are with you all the way.

Charlotte

GraphX12

Hi Rider,

I know you directed this question towards NJ Bain but I thought I would give you my experience. In 4 years of wearing the appliance, I have had 2 leaks. Both were my doing.

1st leak: The first couple of months following my surgery, I had a lot of gas which caused the bag to balloon. At this time, I also was unaware that it's best to wear a thin elastic security belt which attaches to the bag. (I use Hollister 2-piece appliances - don't know if this is the same for other manufacturers) As I was rolling over while waking up one morning, my arm came across and popped the ballooned bag off. I quickly learned about the security belt.

2nd leak: When I empty my bag, I usually pour water into it to flush everything out. While the bag is full of water, I kind of depress the bag with my hand a number of times to make sure the water circulates thoroughly. Sometimes I get a little too aggressive. One time while doing this, I guess the pressure was a little too much for the adhesive 'putty' seal between my skin and the flange. I got a very small trickle of water that ran out between the seal and my skin.

Neither of these leaks burned. So far, these are the only leaks I have had.

As far as how many times do I empty? It varies but on average about 8 to 10 times a day. Probably closer to 7 to 8. I believe this number can be quite different for other people.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rider1000rr

GraphX12, on average, you empty every 3 to 4 hours. Do you use deodorizer in your appliance? If so, does it help cut down on the odor? I know somebody with a colostomy, and that thing can clear a house. Does the ileostomy produce a foul odor? With a colostomy, the waste is more formed than with the ileostomy. I know I am asking a lot of questions. I need to know what to expect. This is a life-changing experience for me.

Rider1000rr

Can you do abdominal exercises to strengthen your abs.

Rider1000rr

Can you do abdominal exercises to strengthen your abs.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
NJ Bain

Rider1000rr,

I don't use a deodorizer in my pouch. Although, you can use mouthwash in the pouch if you so desire. The smell is just as bad with a colostomy or anyone taking a nasty shit. It also depends on your diet or other factors like if you have an infection.

I keep a book of matches in the bathroom and Febreze and the door closed since my bathroom doesn't have a fan. I've asked guests if they've ever smelled anything but everyone says it's no different than when they go number 2.

With an ileostomy, the output can be more watery, again, depending on what you eat. Once you empty the pouch, you can always do the courtesy flush. Just my 2 cents.

And yes, you can do abdominal exercises with an ileostomy. Just don't overdo it immediately after the surgery. Build your strength and abdominal wall up slowly.

Bain

CharK63

Good point about the belt! I forgot about it and I totally relied upon one.

It's an elastic band that hooks onto your appliance and you cinch it up to make it as secure as you like.

Charlotte

GraphX12

I wouldn't say I empty on a regular schedule. When I wake up in the morning, I usually empty twice within a couple of hours. Then it depends on what/when I eat and what I am doing. I find that if I am very active, I tend to empty less.

I have tried the deodorizers made specifically for ostomy bags but have found they are useless. Some may swear by them. I have used a tiny bit of mouthwash, as NJ Bain stated, in the past but am not sure if it can cause any issues with the stoma – feel free to jump in on this one NJ Bain. I change my entire appliance about every 5 – 6 days (You will probably change more frequently until you heal). I have found that just popping off the bag and putting a new one on after about 3 – 4 days really cuts down on odor (I use the Hollister 2 piece system). It seems to be coming more from the bag than the output. Some people use Tic Tacs or Altoids in the bag.

But really, everything NJ Bain says spot on. And as he stated, ileostomy output tends to be more watery than colostomy. I have struggled to keep things thickened up. So far what works best for me are bananas, mashed potatoes, and potato chips.

As far as abdominal exercises, I am currently recovering from my 2nd hernia surgery in 2 years, so I basically have no abs. I would really like to get into an exercise program but am cautious (I'm 60 yrs old).

Oh, and make sure you drink plenty of fluids. With an ileostomy, it is very easy to get dehydrated.

GraphX12

Ask away, Rider! That's what this forum is for! Who better to learn from than somebody that's been through it? We've all been through it, we all had our lives changed. You'll get through it too. You're not alone!

NJ Bain

The mouthwash doesn't really affect the stoma. Try to use one that's not alcohol-based as you might get a little sting from any exposed skin around the stoma. I've tried it and it gives your pouch that nice minty poop smell.....lol

Hydration is very important as GraphX12 says. After surgery, it will be a good idea to stock up on some Gatorade and drink plenty of water. Since you will no longer have your large intestine soaking up the water, you will have to compensate. Your body will adjust eventually.

Things that thicken my output are crackers, graham crackers, potatoes, cereal. I've noticed when I have pizza or a potpie, it thickens up nicely. It's kind of like having soft poop. If I eat bananas, I have to have something with it because it acts as a natural laxative and tends to cause a slight obstruction for me. Just chew your food very well and don't wolf it down. Like I said, your body will have an adjustment period and you will learn how certain foods affect you. Still, it's going to be way better than dealing with pain or running to the bathroom every time you turn around.

Bain

Rider1000rr

Thanks for all the info, all of you have been helpful. Do any of you eat spicy foods? If so, how does your body react to spicy food?

Rider1000rr

What is it like living with an ileostomy? The good, the bad, and the ugly?

stevos64

I'm 66 and lift lighter weights every week. When bench pressing, I put my feet up on the bench as it seems to put less strain on my stomach. For squats, I use a universal type gym and adjust the foot support to not go as deep. When I was squatting deeper, it seemed to loosen the adhesive bond on the flange. For extra protection, I have had good luck using a Nu-Hope belt which I get through the VA. It has a plastic collar that goes around the base of the bag and an elastic band that wraps around to the other side of the collar. It is comfortable and helps to keep everything where it should be. I also use a thin piece of foam between my ileostomy and clothing on the outside of the Nu-Hope collar. If you are ordering a Nu-Hope belt, from experience I can tell you to order the same diameter as your collar on the bag. For my 2-piece Hollisters, that is 2 5/8". Nu-Hope recommends the next size larger but those allow the Hollister bases to pull out of the Nu-Hope collar. Hope this helps.

Stevo

Rider1000rr

When you eat bananas, what do you eat with them? You said they cause obstructions. Do you ever eat spicy food? If so, how does it affect you?

GraphX12

Since I had UC for so many years, I have stayed away from spicy foods. But, I do have a weakness for BBQ ribs (Jim's Rib Haven, Rock Island, IL!!!). The mild sauce is the spiciest thing I eat. Expect to see some reddish output after these :-) Color of the sauce - not blood. And if I eat a half rack I can expect a full bag! But the spice (mild) has no effect.

NJ Bain

Rider,

Spicy food doesn't affect me at all. I love my hot wings. No more of that burning asshole problem when it comes out.

When I eat bananas, I eat them with cereal or something. And they don't cause obstructions with everyone. I, for some reason, can't tolerate them very well. But I do that with most foods that can cause obstructions. Just chew your food well and eat with something that digests normally.

I'll do a post about the good, bad, and the ugly later.

Bain

rongarm

Yes, it is okay to lift weights with your ostomy. But be somewhat careful to not put a great deal of stress on your body. Just saying.

WilcoFan

About a year after my ostomy surgery, my sister Michelle and I did a week-long "rollercoaster crawl". I did get medical clearance from my doctor. Anyway, we hit Cedar Point, Kennywood, Idlewild Park, Lakemont Park, and Knoebel's.

To back up a little bit, we'd always talked about doing a coaster crawl together. When I had my surgery done, I ended up being in the hospital for six weeks, including 10 days in ICU. She promised me that when I got better, we'd take that trip.

So if you get medical clearance, by all means ride as many coasters as you want.