Rinsing ileostomy bag: necessary or not?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the necessity of rinsing an ileostomy bag and shares experiences and tips from community members.
BKB100564

Been an ostomate for 13 years. I rinse several times a day and wear a bag for a week. Never had an issue. May depend on the bag though. I use a Convatec 22771 cut to fit.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Wow, I just found all the people that this site keeps saying are members! They are all on this post! Where are all of you guys? Never seen most of those that posted. Come back to us! Lol

What a great stream of posts!

It does seem that most of us just have to do the rinsing for sanitary reasons! Seems about right! Even though I irrigate, on occasion there are presents, depending on my diet. Rinsing has never made any difference in the wear time of my flange. May even help it some! Irrigation also throws a lot of water at the wafer and has not seemed to lessen the wear time.

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

I have a hose that connects to the hose that fills the commode. It does not interfere with the filling of the commode tank and has a sprayer on the end. It is normally used to wash out cloth diapers. I take the pouch loose from the barrier, wipe the barrier clean, then hold the bag over the commode with the end clip off and wash the bag out. I wash it out from the top of the bag.

Puppyluv56

That would be awesome. My husband mentioned doing something like that a long time ago but just never got around to it. May have to mention it to him again. Would make things easier.  

Puppyluv

lovely

Need to clear up something when I said I wash it out from the top of the bag, I meant I spray it in the top of the pouch.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister