Bill

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Have anyone heard from Bill Withers? Do you know if he will be back?

angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

veejay

Very good question Angel......does anyone know what has happened to Bill?

He has been a magnificent contributor on this site over the years.

Please help?

V.J.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
jaykay75

I've missed reading Bill's ;words too, but fear not... a few weeks ago he mentioned that he would be away for awhile.

Take care!

J.

iMacG5

Not to worry.  Bill had a trip planned and expected to be away for a few weeks (i think).  I miss his offerings as you do.

Ooops!  Didn't see Jaykay's reply..  We're on the same page.

Respectfully,

Mike

Bill

Hello everybody.

Thanks for your comments and concern but I've been on holiday in New Zealand and (on principle) I turned my phone and computer off.

I did mention that I was going away but maybe I should have made it clear on a separte blog - sorry about that! I'm stilll a bit jetlagged and trying to adjust to the reversal of time zones, so don't expect too much of me in the next few days 

Best wishes

Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
veejay

Welcome back Bill.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the Land of the Long White Cloud.

One thing that has always puzzled me about New Zealand is, where is "Old" Zealand?

America has New Jersey, New York, New England etc and we (Australians) have New South Wales but where is 'Old Zealand'?

V.J.

New Zealand does have New Plymouth which I find a bit odd?

Bill

Hello veejay.

Thanks, and it is good to be back, although the break was well worth it. 

In the 1640s, after most other places had been discovered by Europe, Abel Tasman from the Netherlands was sent down to the Pacific Islands and stumbled across a huge land mass they thought at the time was the “southern lands” which were lands predicted to cover a huge amount of the southern hemisphere. After circling the two islands, Tasman was captivated by the natural wildlife and called it “Nova Zeelandia” translating to New Zealand, named after the region of Zeeland in the Netherlands.(which was roughly the same shape)

Thus, to answer your question, 'Old Zealand' is in the Netherlands!

Interestingly,  the more disgruntled of the Maories call it 'The Land of The Wrong White Crowd'.

Best wishes

Bill

veejay

Thanks for the history lesson Bill. Very interesting. I knew you would know.

I think Tasmania is named after Abel Tasman.

There are many many Kiwis as we call them, in Australia.

One can pick their accent straight away. A sounds like E and I sounds like U

I would have thought New Plymouth would have been somewhere on the east coast of America but it is in New Zealand.

Looking forward to reading your on-going contributions.

Vincent J.

Bill

Hello Vincent.

There is a New Plymouth city in Payette County, Idaho, United States. and also a town called Plymouth in Plymouth County, Massachusetts where the Plymouth bretheren set up shop.   I know this because my grandfather was a member of the bretheren and also because I cheated and looked it up on Google.

Best wishes

Bill