The Disrespectful Use of "Bag" for Ostomy Pouches

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the use of the term "bag" when referring to ostomy pouches and how it can be disrespectful, and provides insights and alternatives for respectful language.
Past Member

No wonder people have such misinformed and disrespectful attitudes towards people with ostomies, and worsened by ostomates who use the term, as well.

I find the use of the word "bag" to describe an ostomy pouch demeaning and disrespectful.

To me, it's my pouch, part of the appliance I wear, a result of life-saving surgery from a debilitating and killer illness, and deserving of more respect.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rosiesmom

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and feelings, please know that none of us mean to negate how important our appliances are to our lives. I personally have used both references at one time or another, mostly pouch, but bag has slipped out from time to time. There truly is enough to deal with in our daily lives as ostomy patients without getting hung up on the semantics of what to call it.

Sincerely, Gail aka Rosiesmom

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Pidgent, yes it is a very bad word for me to hear. Bags are 1 cent. Pouches are not bags. Only the people who use the name bags are in a sense bags.

Rosiesmom

I think you need to clarify your statement!!!!! I am most assuredly NOT a bag.

Past Member

No, I meant people who call pouches bags are probably bags. I don't like the word bags either. First thing the ostomy nurse told me, they don't sell bags. I'm with you, pouch is not a bag.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

The use of words is often a problematic pasttime. In the context of stomas the term 'pouch' sometimes refers to Jpouch, which is a different meaning to the external receptacle for waste.  

Mertle Dove

If I knew someone didn't like referring to their appliance as a bag, I would respect that person's wishes and call it a pouch. But to me, calling it a bag isn't intended to be derogatory in any way and does rather accurately describe what it is.

Donz14

I can't believe anyone would be so worried about what to call your appliance. I call mine a bag and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if others refer to it as such. Pouch is probably more accurate but who cares! We have much bigger things to be worried about, like being alive!

Rosiesmom

My sentiment exactly!

Charleston man

I'm going to be very blunt on my aspect of the appliance or pouch and or bag and come right out and say it's a sack, a sack full of sh... waste or whatever you want it to be. Whether it's demeaning or disrespectful, it holds what we as ostomates can no longer do as we once did, and having it as a life-saving apparatus makes no difference to me. Just my opinion, for there isn't anything I can do to change it, for I'm not remotely interested in having a J-Pouch. Eight years of having the above definition, I have accepted it graciously.

Rosiesmom

Touché, a bag a pouch by any other name is still what it is, a receptacle for disposing of waste. Which may also be called by any name you wish.

dadnabbit

Charleston Guy,

I'm with you. My Sensura Mio is a plastic bag covered with some softer gray material, glued to my stomach to collect bodily waste - aka shit. There is no offense or disrespect ever intended by using the term "bag" when I describe my appliance, but some folks seem to take offense. A rose is a rose is a rose....

I never understood naming the stoma either, but I totally respect anyone's desire to do so, especially if it helps them in the acceptance of their life-changing situation.

Peace

medic361

It is disrespectful to be told by someone else how to refer to something that I have earned. I earned this bag by surviving cancer. How dare you presume to have the right to try and tell me to call my bag something else. But guess what, feelings don't kill you. If we are going to be a society of victims, the wolves will be well fed!

Luv2Bak4U

Totally agree, mine has always been a "Pooch"

Charleston man

Sticks and stones may break my bones.

But words shall never hurt me.

funnygurl

Intrepidagent: If semantics is the biggest issue you have as an ostomate, you must be doing very well indeed. My bag is like my bra or my sanitary napkin. They do a job and are inanimate objects. They have a function and do not demand respect in my experience. If you feel disrespected, it may well be a reaction to your disrespectful behavior toward others and not what your ostomy receptacle is called.

Rosiesmom

Wow intelligent, (sorry if name incorrect) I wonder if you had any idea what an avalanche of emotions you were going to open up with your post. As I said in my first response, you are entitled to your feelings and opinions. By the very nature of that, you must allow those of us who feel differently to do so. I became a member of our exclusive group after a rectal cancer diagnosis. I too wear my pouch/bag/sack as a badge of the courage it took to go through the chemo radiation surgery that I endured to get here. Very much alive and making the most of every. So call it anything you want, I am one of the lucky ones still around to hear you. Take care and don't sweat the small stuff.

iMacG5

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Trying to think like I have a brain, a bag by any other name would still be the recipient of our waste and part of the appliance that probably saved our lives. Unfortunately, some might care more about what it’s called than what it does for us. Just a thought.

Respectfully,

Mike

dadnabbit

Mike, the analogy was only meant to point out that it doesn't matter what it's called, just the purpose that it serves. Obviously not the best analogy, but one meant with good will in an attempt to remind us that it doesn't matter what one chooses to call it, but rather to respect the purpose. For some of us it is a means to remind us of a life-saving situation, for others it is no more than a constant reminder of a terrible abuse of power that left them dissatisfied with the outcome. And no, it certainly does NOT smell sweet. :)

And Mike, you ALWAYS seem to think like you are using your very ample brain, because you apparently always give great consideration to your comments.

Peace

Past Member

I recently covered this exact topic: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-bag-or-pouch/

In short, "bag" is by far the most widely accepted term to describe it. Most other terms either cause confusion (even among other ostomates) or may simply be misunderstood as something else.

iMacG5

Thank you Dadnabbit.  You're very kind.

Sincerely,

Mike

Silveradokid

My "old bag" is either my wife or a discarded ostomy bag. I use the terminology with the greatest of love and respect, for without either one this life would be too miserable to continue...

Pinkie pooh

I guess I've never stopped to think about what I call it, really makes no difference to me but I respect those who are sensitive to it. First, I had an ileostomy then got reversed then a year and a half later I had to have a colostomy which became permanent. It's been 3 years now with my colostomy. And no, I do not and don't have any intention of naming it, do you name your butthole? I did not get to be my age by stressing or worrying about what I cannot change, I just go with the flow of life. Happy to be me.

ROCNwocn
Nurse

Forma,

Thank you for your comment. As an ostomy nurse of many years and someone who has trained at least 25 new ostomy nurses, I agree with you. During training, I was reminded not to refer to the pouch as a "bag". I have passed this on to those whom I have had the pleasure of training.

I must tell you that through the years, I have been referred to as "The Bag Lady". I tell everyone "Yes, I am"... I consider it a term of endearment.

Past Member

Hi from Baltimore. Do you know any nurses with ostomy?

weewee

I call mine a diaper.

Past Member

I don't wear my pouch unless I go for a long ride or a doctor appointment. I call my pouch my crap funnel things. Any thing but bag. After all, it's just food that keeps us cleaning, not the bags or pouch. It's the having to convey to toilet. The more you eat, the more you go. With not wearing a pouch, my stoma has come out and has gotten larger in diameter. My skin around stoma is back to normal. I think people should spend more time without the ' more often. Nice chat.

Hermit

You are correct! Much more to be concerned about!

kbd

It is a bag. Someone referring to my bag as a bag would have no effect on me. Enough PC culture out there without us making an issue of calling a bag a pouch.

MrPlod

I think if that's all you have to get concerned about, you are doing fine. Maybe you need to lighten up and, as long as you understand the description, all is well.