Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,252 members

What can go wrong with a hernia operation?

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 am
Having only started reading the postings on this forum a few days back, forgive me if I am asking a question already raised.

I had a urostomy about 18 months ago, and some six months back noticed a swelling to the side and below the stoma. Surgeon said that it may need an operation should it get any larger but they are reluctant to do so as it can result in infection. I have noticed in other postings on this forum, members mention that they have had more than one hernia operation, and I just wonder why. What can - and did  go wrong?

Well, perhaps before that even, in summary, what does a hernia operation entail?
Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 pm
did you have the hernia operation
Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:28 pm
if you want to email me i can tell you all the trouble i had have had 2 hernia and did pick up an infection
Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:00 am
Thanks for your two replies. However, I can't see, on this site how to send emails, since email addresses are, apparently, forbidden by the administrator?

Cheers. Michael
Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 am
i've had one hernia operation, no real problems, but the hernia came back and that is my only problem. most doctors will tell you hernia opertion success is only about 50-50 at best. and you have to remember that a stoma, in itself, is a man made hernia .  we are gonna try again, but he says it's not ripe enough yet, meaning it's not big enough or causing any problems(pain, bag not sticking, etc). for your info, mine was a peristoma hernia under my ileostomy stoma............
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Hi, I also had a paristomal hernia about 18mths ago and it got to the point that I couldn't even get a baseplate to stick as it was very big. Anyway my Surgeon told me it was a very straight forward and easy operation! Well 2 day's later I woke up in the ICU, it all went horribly wrong for me. They had to removed another 3 inches from my stoma and had to make a new one as It had completely closed off from the pressure of the hernia. Then I got a massive abcess inside the abdomen and ended up back having more surgery to drain and remove the abcess. i ended up with a drain hanging out the side of my stoma going into the bag and had that for about 2 week's. I ended up staying in ICU for over a week and they had to give me an epidural for the pain as Morphine didn't even touch me?? It was a blessing when I had the epidural as I was completely numb from the chest down and it was lovely to be pain free. I'm not trying to scare you but as you would know with any kind of surgery involving (feacea's) can be a tad dangerous and there is alway's a chance of infection...... Hope this help's and good luck with your surgery. Hope it goes to plan. Also my hernia has started to come back now but nothing to worrie me at this stage.....  GOOD LUCK

Beverley......  xxxxxx
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.