Constant Leaks: Need Help with Drainable Pouches

Replies
Views
Gemd

I have had a leak a day since my birthday (Dec 26. A leak was not a fun birthday gift!) I usually use the opaque beige one-piece drainable pouch from Hollister. But I tried ConvaTec's similar version. Both have leaked. I change my pouch daily now because each pouch doesn't last even 24 hours before leaking. My output is a normal amount and texture, so what gives?

Past Member

Hi Gemd

I have had Crohn's disease for 50 years and an ileostomy for 38 years. I have experienced leaks for the past five years. I tried everything! Every product. Nothing worked for me. So now I am using three different kinds and the one that works (longer time frame) is Hollister 8661 (precut) to fit my stoma and the Bravo Protective Seal from Coloplast, and then I use the Bravo Elastic Barrier Strips (half moon) also from Coloplast for extra protection! The barrier has to be perfectly surrounding the stoma or it will leak. I also began to eat healthy but smaller portions and pray often.

The thing with being a believer in Jesus Christ is that even though I've been through it all... I am blessed with a calm and understanding that it all works out for the good.

I hope things work out for you and may God bless you and the new year!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,359 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gemd

I will look into the half moon as I use the protective deal... I think? It's like a gummy bear but donut-shaped. And yes, Jesus has been with me through this all... stage 3 cancer, 3 organs removed, celiac (or ??? My mucosal folds in my colon were flat), but I am still here to do His work. Amen to that and have a blessed 2019!

Past Member

Wow! We are similar in what we went through and our faith is great. I can honestly say I don't know any other kind of life. I have always been sick with the worst severe chronic Crohn's disease a person can imagine. I can go into a grocery store, department store, and have a leak, and I just park my cart, look for the ladies' room, clean up with Safe n Simple wipes, Smith and Nephew skin prep wipes, change the pouch, wash my hands, and carry on with my groceries! It became my normal, and I don't know of any other kind of life anymore. In my 20s, I used to cry and fall to the floor at the mercy of God through Jesus and have anxiety, you name it. I forgot how many times I've been hospitalized, at least 20 or 25 times. But with time and prayer and loving on other people, somewhere along the way, I was saved. Now I am just thankful to still be here and loving my life anyway! One day at a time.

You have a good attitude, and if you ever need any help or have questions, please send a message!

Again, take care!!! God bless you :)

Puppyluv56

Gem,

I am using the Convatec two-piece! I have not had the first leak since I started using them in June! Two-piece usually lasts me 6 days each. Once in a while, I will go 7-8, and on occasion, I have changed on day 4 or 5. Not often though. I always liked the Coloplast bag, so I have just received them but have not used them yet. This week. I also use the Bravo Y strips for extra confidence, but the pouch flange itself has not leaked to require the help of the Morning strip. I tried the rings, but I think they were worse than without! Call Convatec and Coloplast to request samples if you have not tried them yet, and Hollister for a sample of the two-piece! You may find them better! I hope you find the answer! It is horrible to not be comfortable leaving your home!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
countyclare

Unless you're having excessive amounts of liquid output, you really should not be having leaks if you're applying the pouch properly.

Also, avoid eating or drinking anything several hours before going to bed. Eating or drinking prior to going to bed can cause leaks because you are laying horizontally. You may want to consult with an enterostomal therapist (nurse) in your area for instruction / advice. Best of luck.

Longroad78

Gem,

You are going through so much and I am grateful you're staying so strong. Hope this helps a little.

I change my appliance out in the morning, but to remove it, I take a warm shower and let the water heat up the adhesive. It comes off without having to use adhesive remover. It also allows the area to be cleaned off really well. Use non-moisturizing soap because it can leave a film that might cause an issue with adhesion. Wrap your stoma with tissue or toilet paper when you step out, just in case it has a mind of its own when drying off and getting around. I use the Coloplast Sensura Mio Click, but I learned with the cold weather we are having in Texas that the last two changes I am having issues with the adhesive sticking well close to the inside near the stoma. I use the paste product around the stoma. I found that my supplies were cold and the adhesive is temperature sensitive. The colder it was, the less sticky it became. The half-moon adhesive strips have saved me both times from a full-out failure/leak. I could feel my skin burning from the output, but the half-moon strips stopped it from leaking out. Coloplast makes Sensura Xpro Click, which is an extended wear product, not the Mio system. To me, the adhesive was stronger and it is more resistant to the acidity of the output. Give it a try; they offer samples of that product.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Axis308

I had the same issues at one point. I switched to Convatec two-piece with the moldable flange. I also use a Hollister Adapt barrier ring as well and have not had any issues since.

Gemd

The cold Texas weather makes sense. Maybe I can use a blow dryer?

I eat well before bed but.. well my stoma produces right after I eat, a little output, and then 6-8 hours after a meal, I get rid of that meal. But I have to have dinner and eat more often than 6 hours apart (seems my blood sugar crashes more easily without a colon) and can't eat dinner at, say, 3pm. Oh well.

Longroad78

Sound like your stoma and digestive system is working like normal on your intact and output timing, do not feel like you need to stop eating and starve yourself to allow you a window to change your appliance. Just eat your normal meals but do not do like I do and eat large meals and too few of meals through the day. Do your normal small meals throughout the day and just do not eat too heavy after a certain time at night. You can still maintain your blood sugar levels. You probably see the normal predictable output at night and see in the morning your stoma is a little slow before the first cup of coffee and breakfast. Use that time to change things out. On the hairdryer, I have heard people use that or a heating blanket or just placing their hand on the finished appliance to warm things up. I am checking on if it is the wafer is too cold to start off with before I use it and also if I am not able to put pressure on the inside area closest to the stoma to allow the glue to adhere to the skin in that area allowing the output to get around the paste. Might sound strange but makes sense, one person I talked to uses a piece of PVC pipe fittings to go around his stoma to push the wafer against his skin better and more evenly and that fixed his problem. Have not tried that yet.

maddie50322

Leaking is not uncommon, but should be minimal when using the right products. Hollister products are the cheapest out there, which is why hospitals stock them. I personally don't like them. I have a few tips. The first is re-measure your stoma and see if it has changed size at all. The next is keep on trying samples until you find one that works for you. Most people love the Coloplast products. Try a convex wafer vs a flat one. Use adhesive spray (glue basically) and barrier strips. I use both of those and that was a game changer for me. I went from 1-2 time daily changes to 2 changes a week on Monday and Thursday.

Puppyluv56

My hospital uses the Convatec one-piece which are the crappiest pouches made! They leak and are only usable in the first week or so after surgery when you have little to no output! I love the Convatec two-piece but the pouch looks like an old sweater by the end of the week. It frays and looks picked! No leaks since I started using them in June! I love the Coloplast two-piece pouch so much better. The material is better, the closure is easier but I hate the clip-in system. Convatec is easy but that click thing is horrible on Coloplast! I cannot just burp the pouch for gas, it is a trip to the bathroom to deal with the whole thing! I had the bright idea to change everything over to Coloplast and now I am stuck! I will go back to the Convatec unless I get used to these. Hate to give that pouch up!

Leaks will be the deciding factor! Above all else! That is what makes or breaks it for me!

Puppy

Gemd

I'm on Hollister opaque one pieces still even though I probably get a leak a week. I tried Convatec's newer opaque bag and loved it, no leaks, but then it was just a single free sample so who knows. But new year, new insurance deductible, so Hollister is more affordable at $38 for ten bags...sigh...those nice Convatec ones were almost $100! So until my chemo costs rack up and I meet my deductible, it's pricey-enough leaky Hollister. Luckily, my diarrhea subsided so that lessens leak frequency.

Puppyluv56

Gem,
Call Coloplast and ask for samples of their two-piece drainable pouches and one-piece convex pouches and their Brava barrier strips! (These two-piece with barrier strips last me 10 days each now, no leaks!) They will send you three of each. Since you have had the Convatec one-piece as samples, ask them for samples of their two-piece. That will give you a chance to try some really good pouches and the price may be worth it if you are using ten times less!
Puppy

iMacG5

I use the same system as Axix308 with very good results.  I posted "Eakin Seals or Hollister Adapt Flat barrier Rings" some time ago.  Some folks replied with helpful information.  I think it's worth checking out.

Respectfully,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Gem,

I started using Coloplast two-piece system at the beginning of the month. The first pouch I replaced after 11 days and the second I still have on. Being my 15th day. No leak in sight. I did use the suggestion someone (was that you Mike) made here about the barrier rings, cutting in half (I cut in thirds), rolling into a rope, and wrapping around the outside of my stoma, then applying the flange. Seems to work really well. I will use a little more next time to make it thicker but otherwise, works well. I am not crazy about the click system on the Coloplast pouch. Cannot burp as easily as the Convatec but love the pouch more!

Gem, this would work well with those Convatec cut-to-fit as well! Probably get you at least a couple extra days from each!

How are they working for you?

Puppy

iMacG5

This might be just a little off topic but I eliminated the typical burping method by using KMEZVENT vents.  It's a little work to prep the pouches with these vents but way easier to burp.

Let's never stop looking to make our stuff better and easier.  I think we deserve it.

Mike

iMacG5

Hey Puppyluv, the Eakin Cohesive Seal 2 is a lot thicker.

Mike

Puppyluv56

Mike,

Is thicker better? The two-piece flange is already thick and sticks out more than a one-piece. I have tried a few different types of them and found no benefit until I tried rolling it into a rope and building it around the stone. The ring did not stick to my skin any better than the pouch barrier. Does your ring actually stick to your skin along the stone?

Candy

iMacG5

Hi Candy. I probably confused thicker with wider. When I flatten the rolled up barrier ring it’s only about the thickness of a double match book cover; like two covers, one on top of the other. It's actually about 5/64 of an inch (0.2 cm). The flattened seal is about a 3/8 inch wide. Close to 1/2 inch(around 1.3 cm). No, I don’t think thicker is better.
I tried the rope method a long time ago with little success. I think it’s failure was due to the “sweating” of the stoma. I know it’s not sweat but it’s always wet and could interfere with adhesion.
More good luck to all of us,
Mike

Puppyluv56

Thanks Mike,

I am trying the barrier ring as a whole now! Will see how it works! Got 17 days from the last pouch with using the rope made from the ring. Probably could have gone longer but due to my own stupidity, of releasing gas by unclipping the click pouch at the top, in the night, with no light, on the way to the bathroom, to find out it was not all air! Don't laugh! Shit happens! Literally! Lol Had to change at 3:00 in the am! That will teach me! I was just seeing how long it was possible to get out of one pouch!

Puppyluv

iMacG5

Hey Pup, most ostomates can't even imagine going 17 days between changes.  I'm nominating you for the poster child for THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.  Great to know it's possible.  We read so often about folks changing daily and more.  You are an inspiration!

Thanks so much,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Haha Mike! Thanks for the crown! Not worthy though! My own stupidity ended the run! Haha! You have to laugh at yourself sometimes! I have always gotten good time out of two-piece pouches! The one-piece, not so much! I don't use powders, glues, paste, rings (just now trying them, not sure why), barrier wipes! All I do is use the adhesive remover wipes, dry and put on a flange after cutting to fit of course! Works for me!

Thanks,

Candy

Sjb

I had daily leaks as well until I switched to a two-piece with a belt. I also use a cera ring that helps seal better. I have a huge hernia also. That piece of elastic provides just enough support to keep my device from leaking! I made my own belt with a wide piece of elastic and larger hooks to attach to loops.

Best of luck!

Puppyluv56

Ok, I have to tell on myself because my actions led to an accident waiting to happen, me! I sent this to my friend and just had to copy to tell on myself! Well, I am hoping your Friday has gone better than mine!! I have to just keep in mind, it is Friday!!!!
Drank my water like always. Started about an hour ahead of my appointment! I was hungry and had not had any Honey Nut Cheerios in a long time! BIG mistake! Lol In my defense, I did also eat a banana! I was halfway to treatment and those Cheerios started to come on back! That was fine so I immediately went to a back bathroom in the practice to empty my pouch and hopefully NOT pee! Have to have a full bladder for radiation. Had to pee soooo bad! Did not think I could make it through treatment so emptied my bladder some. Just could not stop at a little bit! As I was on the table getting treatment, more Cheerios came for a visit but since I had peed prior to treatment, I did not go back to finish emptying my bladder afterward thinking I could make it home. Well, all the way home, Cheerios continue to visit to the max and having to pee again so bad! I could hardly make it in the door! Made it to the bathroom, almost! Lol Started peeing before I could get my pants all the way off but finally got there!
As I am taking my wet panties off, I noticed those damn Cheerios were not only inside the pouch but broke out of jail to surprise me! It was a surprise breakout but I had just got comfortable not using the barrier strip! May have to rethink that! Lol
Haha! What a surprise that was since it had not happened in over 8 months!
So the moral of this story is DO NOT EAT Honey Nut Cheerios! EVER!!! Pee when you gotta!
Hope you are laughing at my expense! I would be laughing if it was you! Just who I am!
Have a better day than me! Lol

looking forward

That happens to me as well, but I have also gone as long as 5 days. Use the barrier strips and econ.

Puppyluv56

Looking forward!

I normally go 10 days minimum between pouch changes! That is without strips and barrier rings! Hahaha! This was just a BAD food choice! They would make you go the same prior to an Ostomy!

Just a funny day! Whew, glad it was over! Lol

Puppyluv

spyder

The style of using active lifestyle adhesive covers helped me.

spyder

The active lifestyle covers are the best.

Indigo55

I have an ileostomy and occasional nuisance leaks, and you made me think with your comment about not eating or drinking too much before bed. It never occurred to me that lying down could be a problem.