Opinions on Roe v. Wade and Abortion Rights?

Replies
Views
GraphX12

I know more women who are opposed to abortion than men. Why are men considered "bullies" on this issue?

dadnabbit

GraphX12-- I don't think that post was meant to imply that only men are bullies, just that bullies are bullies by virtue of wanting to impose their beliefs on everyone, making the choices for everyone. However, historically, men have had the freedom to voice more opinions and have created more law on almost all subjects. Women have become more vocal about their beliefs since the 70's, and so you are seeing more opinions being shared by them. Women still don't have equal rights, though. Can't seem to get that darned ERA passed!

Dadnabbit

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HarleyDoll

And my observation was made on the basis of the amount of capital letters and exclamation points you used in many of your posts, but particularly in the most recent one. Capital letters and exclamation points mean yelling in cyberspace. Probably a good idea to keep this discussion respectful by not yelling. This had been suggested earlier in the thread by you as well as others. Just a suggestion. Take it down a notch.

dadnabbit

Harley, when communicating by writing or texting, caps on all words might mean yelling, but capital letters and words are a means of emphasizing one's point of view. When not using voice, it is easier to be more expressive by changing to caps for that emphasis. Sorry if you think I'm "yelling" at you, but I'm just emphasizing my opinion. In all the many times I've posted anywhere in this manner, no one has ever told me that they felt as if I'm yelling at them. It is not meant to be disrespectful.

Dadnabbit

Xerxes

The sad part of this is that abortion will never go away. Women will turn once again to the backroom abortionists that use various implements to end the pregnancy. And, as in the past, many women will die in the end as a result of massive infections and hemorrhaging or be left scarred and unable to conceive.

Xerxes

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
GraphX12

My point was that I am bombarded daily (not on this forum, mind you) that men are trying to control women's bodies – hence bullying. At least in the U.S., lawmakers are elected to represent the voters, and women have had the right to vote since 1920. So women have an equal say in who gets elected to make laws.

Past Member

HarleyDoll,

I apologize for "speaking for everyone". Of course, I can only speak from my own personal experience. I've never met anyone who actually likes abortion. Maybe you know people who do. And I don't know anybody who doesn't treasure human life either, but maybe you do. And, I certainly have never met any women who would actually choose abortion as a method of birth control! I guess you know different people than I do.....

HarleyDoll

Your passive-aggressive, snotty reply is not appreciated, and I did not deserve it. I merely quoted what you already said. Kindly take your bad mood out on somebody else. As for the topic itself, I would suggest you do a little bit of research and see the percentages of how many women use abortion as birth control. And if they don't like it, then maybe they should do something about it. It's not my job, but maybe you think it's yours.

Past Member

You attacked me first. Maybe you forgot that. As far as your "research" goes, I find it decidedly flawed. No woman would prefer to lay on a table and go through an abortion rather than take a pill. Those who have multiple abortions are usually teenagers who shouldn't be having sex in the first place, since they can't seem to use birth control responsibly. If there is a way to stop them from doing that, I don't know what it might be.

As far as my "bad mood" goes...Take a look at your own mood, lady.

HarleyDoll

Some people really hate it when their very own words are used to prove a point against them in a debate. That person would be you and now you're playing the victim stating that you were attacked. LOL. You will have to forgive me for laughing at how predictable some of you are. Now you seem to be attributing blame to teenagers only as the repeat offenders. I would like to know how you know that. I am not sure if your head is on right here or what but lying on a table or taking a pill was never part of the original discussion nor was it something I engaged in debating with you. Neither was teenagers or the age of the murderesses. I fail to see how age is any kind of excuse for murdering your own baby. Obviously this is OK with you that is why you are defending this practice. I can't account for people with the morals of an alleycat.

Past Member

This site has always been known as a safe place for people to vent their anger and frustrations about things, although it usually isn't done by attacking another person. You've been doing that since you first posted. Your responses are all filtered through your anger...and it's considerable. This makes you impossible to talk to. If you want to take things out on me...go ahead. Vent away. I hope it makes you feel better. As for me, I'm done. Responding to you isn't worth the effort of typing. That should make you very happy because now you can say anything you want to without any argument from me! Enjoy.

kmedup

For the past several days, I have non-discriminately contributed to, and read and appreciated the posts on this thread, knowing full well – no, expecting that opinions will differ but also realizing that it's important to keep an open mind, to show respect, to avoid over-the-top emotion, to try and understand the differing opinions, and to value freedom of speech. Now, I am compelled to say, "HarleyDoll, you have turned an informative discussion unnecessarily ugly."

mild_mannered_super_hero

That's mighty high talk considering that you would value free speech for yourself and others....yet deny the very "right to life" to the unborn. Who will speak for them? When you enter a discussion as emotionally charged as this....you better be prepared to get your feelings hurt. Getting your feelings hurt is still better than being ripped from your mother's womb with a metal hook....that's what the babies get.

There is no "middle ground" on this subject.

HarleyDoll

Well, isn't that special. I've been yelled at, been treated in a passive-aggressive manner by insinuating that I hang out with whores that have abortions and calling me a lady, and not in a complementary way, but you kept your mouth shut for that or you waited till the person deleted her posts. If you've been following this, you know darn well I've been defending myself and my position, and that is not going to change, so get over it. And it has everything to do with my beliefs and not how I presented them. It's OK for you people to want to push your beliefs on us or on me, but if we state that we think abortion is murder, then we are terrible people, and you think it gives you free reign to attack us personally. Well, I'm here to remind you that it doesn't. Now get over yourself. And if you want respect, it needs to be earned, and I don't even know you, I've never even spoken to you before on this board that I know of, but you jump in here to tell me what an asshole I am. Good luck with that. What are you doing posting in here? I haven't posted anything to you, but you want to jump on the bandwagon, so don't act all shocked and odd when you get this post.

dadnabbit

An amazing lesson in tolerance---

We are bursting through the barricades and reaching for the sun, we are warriors, yeah that's what we've become

I won't let them break me down to dust, I know that there's a place for us, for we are glorious....

Look out cause here I come, and I'm marching on to the beat I drum,

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies, this is me

When the sharpest words want to cut me down, gonna send a flood and drown 'em out

I am brave, I am bruised, I am who I'm meant to be

This is me.....***

***This is me from the Greatest Showman written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, sung by Keala Settle

Inspired is what I get from this song.

Dadnabbit

kmedup

Hey dadnabbit,

I was away for a few days at the "Women Deliver" Conference in Vancouver, British Columbia https://womendeliver.org/ where my daughter was a guest presenter for her transmedia documentary Amplify Her. Her screening sold out. She managed to somehow snag me a pass which usually sells for $900. I was at Melinda Gates' presentation along with many talented and courageous women and girls from all over the world. Talk about a global perspective rather than just in our own backyards. I will never forget this awesome opportunity and the inspiring facilitators and speakers. Karen

dadnabbit

Karen, sounds awesome. I have to admit I've never heard of it. Your daughter's documentary "Amplify Her," is it available online to the public?

Nancy

iMacG5

Thanks, Nancy. The song is inspiring but your message is more inspiring. I think you’re suggesting we take a closer look at ourselves and those we’re communicating with in hopes of a better understanding and appreciation for all of us. I love debating for the sake of it but when a subject of this level of importance arises I need to listen, respect and attempt to understand that some folks feel so strongly about these things they’re not really able to discuss it without emotional overtones. As old as I am, I still don’t know how I feel about some things and I hope to develop a better understanding from knowledgeable folks presenting their opinions. If this forum was open only to folks who were affected by an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy, I wonder if the opinions would be different.
Respectfully,
Mike

dadnabbit

Thanks Mike, one thing I have learned up to this point is that life is fluid. I try to never close the door on the reality that more information can often result in a different perspective. An open mind and the ability and willingness to actually hear an opposing point of view are essential in order to live in harmony with the entire world. I hope to never lose the ability to see yet another side, even when my own opinions and feelings differ and do not change.

Peace

Nancy

Hermit

If I had known this was going to be discussed, I wouldn't have just joined as a lifetime member! 

HarleyDoll

Just Google it. LOL

Xerxes

Honest Abe,

I guess there's nothing like being open-minded.

Xerxes

iMacG5

Ya know Honestabe, some of us have opinions that are different from others. Hopefully those opinions were developed through thought, research and listening to others.  Sorry you're offended by other's concerns.  I guess some folks just don't care about some things and that's perfectly OK unless it hurts others.

Respectfully,

Mike

Hermit

I care about millions of babies being killed (abortions) every year! You're evidently a liberal! I am not going to debate! I would rather talk to my lady friends! Have a beautiful day!

Hermit

Was wondering the same thing! Very touchy subject! 

Baw

Nothing living looks like the final product at the beginning. Babies are like that. There were millions of abortions last year and I will bet that only a few abortions actually happened because of rape or incest. Probably most were the result of inconvenience or embarrassment. A baby's heartbeat begins before you know you are pregnant. Be it the first week or last month, where is the delineation between being a person or not being one? Instant presto change-oh or something? If you cannot answer that question, then perhaps there needs to be more thought. Babies have been born at 28 weeks and grown up to be happy, healthy individuals. God certainly has something to do with pregnancy anyway.

Did you know that people living in the US are not replacing themselves? No problem, I guess. People who do procreate, really procreate, will be happy to live here. People need to look at a sonogram before having it done. You might even see your unborn child sucking their thumb!

By the way, the Supreme Court has recently ruled that states may pass laws limiting or forbidding abortions.

BAW

kmedup

Opinions are as unique and different as people are, so here is my take on this volatile subject.

If abortion is a sin, is contraception a sin as well?

Ahhhh religion and culture - the demise of our world. Cultures and religions have been fighting since the beginning of time. How's that working so far? When you allow a bunch of old men to decide the fate of who I am as a woman, we sink back into a patriarchal society.

Let the government deal with education, health, infrastructure, defense, viruses, etc.

Babies and children are okay in cages - separated from their mothers - and executions are okay, although they are both living beings. You can't talk out of both sides of your know what. We call that self-righteous.

Not all people are religious, therefore the government should govern for all people. Remember the time when rich society people had their daughter flown out of the country - and not for a root canal. Just imagine.

dadnabbit

Hey Kmed--

It always stuns me when I am reminded that our own history is forgotten. America exists because men were running from religious persecution. We're still running.....:-)

Dadnabbit

xnine

I know this is a serious question but if you cannot provide 100% quality care for these babies, I think it is wrong to bring them into this world. It does not matter how they were conceived. What happened to sex ed in schools? I know they are not all from teenagers, but what is going on? If there is not a safe way, women will die. Whatever your belief, someone is going to die. I do not want to force my opinion on anyone, but if you do not have a real solution, that is it. That is all I have.

iMacG5

So X, I respect your opinion and share a lot of your preferences relative to bringing babies into the world. My concerns are in reference to the hypocrisy practiced by so many in authority. The church takes busloads of folks to Washington to scream and yell about how wrong it is to terminate a pregnancy for whatever reason. How many of those group leaders where guilty of child molestation? According to them it’s a mortal sin to terminate a pregnancy but when it comes to the abuse and molestation of those innocent children, the devil made them do it.  

Just a bit of my thoughts on these subjects with respect,

Mike