Hypothetically, what would we do for supplies in a disaster?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
keysgirl
Greetings all,

I was just thinking about what I would do about ostomy supplies in an emergency situation, such as in Haiti. Mind you, I'm not trying to call it into existence, but it could be a problem. I'm sure there must be people there with ostomies, and if they can't get food and water, and don't have restroom facilities, or even clean and private situations...it's highly unlikely they have ostomy supplies.

If you ran out of supplies, and none were available, what would you do????

Hey, I just had an idea...I have some supplies that don't work for me. Maybe there are others of you out there who also have supplies you don't use. Maybe I could collect them and somehow send to Haiti...I'm just thinkin'. Ideas people?

Peace Love to all...Sadiqah
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gus

Well, necessity is the mother of invention. I'm sure each individual would work out some way to carry on. Me, I wouldn't care, I would go no shirt and leave it uncovered. Pretty sure it would be a lonely existence, but I was an interstate truck driver and solitude was a part of my day for over 20 years.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sweede
Hi Keysgirl,

Ostomy supplies are desperately needed in Haiti. There is an organization called the Catholic Medical Missionaries Board http://www.cmmb.org based in New York that has been running clinics in Haiti for some years now.
Last week, I contacted them and they are going to send me an address in the Dominican Republic to ship supplies to as soon as they set up a reliable channel. I have 3 pallets of assorted ostomy supplies/catheters, etc. waiting to be sent.
If anyone wishes to send ostomy supplies to Haiti from the States, there are two channels that I know of in which to do so.

The first is sending your supplies to Friends of Ostomates Worldwide http://www.fowusa.org/newsite/page.php?page=home. They have actually already sent a few pallets over to Haiti last week. It might be worth contacting them to see if they are arranging another shipment to be sent. Alternatively, you can contact Kathy Tebbitt at the Missionaries Board on 1 212 242 7757, and she will give you an address in the States where you can mail your donated supplies to personally.

Much respect to you for your willingness to create a collection point in which others can send them to you. I can't even begin to imagine how dire the lives of fellow ostomates in Haiti must be at the moment.

I wish you the very best of good fortune.
Sweede.xxx
WOUNDED DOE
Keysgirl, you brought up something very important! This is actually something that has been on my mind for many years, but especially since I watched in horror as our Twin Towers fell! There are many different situations that could bring on the concern, environmental disasters, warish disasters, many, many things when we think about it and it is always good to be prepared, and this is nothing at all to take lightly. Very good topic and I am surprised it has not come up sooner in here. I am also aware that many in New Orleans with ostomies were quite out of luck and in great need...

We all know how messy and uncomfortable it would be if we did not have available appliances, but there are other problems that would arise if we cannot keep our skin clean like skin irritations and sores! I would find something to use, that is for sure. I wouldn't care if it's cutting a hole in the ton of ziplock freezer bags I have and taping them on...don't care how funny that might sound, it would be better than nothing, but I would come up with ideas, that is for certain, and I'm the sort of person who would rip down my shower curtain 'n grab the scissors and hot glue gun to easily craft a few dozen reusable pouches with either tape and/or elastic belt to hold it on...I bet there are a thousand different things I'd try lol. I'm a little survivor...I'd think of somethin'.

If I could afford to stock up on ostomy supplies, I would do it in a heartbeat...to have them to use and to share...what a secure feeling that would be!

...and Sweede! Once again you came through with some great information to share!

Lots of love to all from your Doe!
banshie3by5

Need I say more?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
miata man

A timely reminder that all households should have an emergency plan and an emergency survival kit ready to use at any time.
Our kit has water, non-perishable food, a battery-operated torch and radio, toilet paper, plastic bags, a bucket, and a first aid kit including extra ostomy supplies and personal medicines.
Enough for a week or more. Plus a portable gas cooker.
I rotate the supplies to keep it all fresh.
You just never know when that earthquake, volcano, or storm is going to hit.

junopete

After a few months, once I got most things figured out, I always kept at least 3 full months of ostomy supplies on hand with another month in each vehicle I owned. I realize most cannot do this.
The Haiti thing is terrible. However, there are folks here in the US that need help and have needed help for a long time with ostomy supplies. They come first.

Rick.....

WOUNDED DOE

You are so right, Miata man!   My grandmother taught me to stash food like a squirrel ... "just in case"   and I have always done that, along with other supplies.   ...and like you, I rotate the food to keep everything fresh.   I was just having this conversation recently with another friend.   Always good advice for certain.

~Love to all from your Doe
WOUNDED DOE
Yes Rick, there are those here in the States who need some help with this and many of us are out here helping and doing what we can .... but people around the globe are doing their best to put Haiti first at this time because what has happened there is BEYOND DISASTER!!    

Keysgirl has a most excellent idea and her heart is as big as the sun, and like the sun, her influence is strong here ...and everywhere.    'Tis people like keysgirl who help those in need no matter where they are.....and perhaps where need is strongest at this time.    Her vision is vast and sincere and I have great respect for her.
cee

Honestly, when the earthquake hit in Haiti and the pictures and stories came, I donated money immediately to the American Red Cross and tagged it for Haiti specifically. I thought of children and adults trapped under buildings slowly suffocating. I never thought about people with ostomies needing new supplies. I am glad the organizations are helping with this but putting ostomies first is sort of odd to me.

markfrommaine

In an emergency, here are a couple of options. I used Coloplast products. On the bag is a white snap ring. This can easily be removed. In a pinch, you can use a plastic bag and snap the ring over it. As far as barriers go, you can reuse a barrier even if the glue is no longer sticky (if your stoma isn't flush) by using a retaining strap. On Coloplast barriers, you will see two small cutouts on either side. This is where the retaining strap hooks go. It might be uncomfortable, as you would need to cinch the strap tightly, but it is much better than having no alternative. I highly recommend the retaining strap for anyone who is active and is good to have with you under any circumstance. Mark
I apologize if this gets posted twice. I had some difficulties with the net.

WOUNDED DOE

Really great idea, Mark!!