Strange odor from stoma - seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Fi Trix

Hi

Sometimes I get a strange smell which I assume is from my stoma. There is no leak from my appliance, I am sure, and my husband can't smell anything, but I am so aware of it. I know it sounds strange, but it's like the smell is almost at the back of my nose/throat. This only happens every now and again, and I can't link it to any particular food I have eaten.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? I have had my ileostomy for a year now, and it is still all quite new to me.

Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

I'm aware of a situation in which one of the components of the plastic pouch was not up to spec.  The company admitted their error, replaced the pouches and were very apologetic.  If you call the manufacturer of your appliance they might offer you some help.  

If you don't see a leak there should be no odour.

Good luck,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Fi Trix

Thanks, Mike.

Unfortunately, this has happened with different boxes of pouches, so I can only assume they are not faulty.

warrior

Agree with Mike. I often have that odor. It's almost like the bag sweats. Never thought it could be a defect. Thanks for the tip. It usually means I have to change the entire appliance or clean it out. I saw after replacing mine recently a gap between the "o" ring and wafer where poo obviously can linger. Even the ring squashes and allows an odor. That's what I have found. Small leak...passing through gap. Try washing the bag out next time. No, don't remove it. Just drain it then add water. Close it up. Swish it around a bit and drain again. Think of it as a flushing process.

t

Fi Trix

You got me thinking it could be the actual appliance, and now after investigating, I think it is actually the filter where the smell is coming from.

The pouches I am using are Salts Confidence BE drainable convex, and they don't come with the little stickers like previous ones I have used. Not that I really ever knew the purpose of the stickers!

I will speak with the manufacturers tomorrow and see if they can shed some light.

Thanks for all your help.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
newyorktorque

It's summer here and if there is an odor, I can't help but think it may be because of the heat.

warrior

I don't use vented pouches. Naturally, with a filtered pouch, it likely will vent. But charcoal is supposed to prevent odor. Maybe you're right. The filter is bad. Mine still smells. No filter.

iMacG5

Hey Fi Trix, now that I know you're using filtered pouches, my thoughts are different.  So many of our experts here with so many years of experimenting have written their opinions relative to filters.  Many are discouraging and many have unequivically stated they just don't work.  Before looking any further I suggest you investigate the possibility of the filter not doing its job as well as you would like.  Next time you experience a problem cover the filter with non-porous tape and see if it goes away.

Keep us posted,

Mike

Puppyluv56

It is funny that filtered pouches work for such a short time. The circles or stickers are there to cover your filter when you get into the shower or are swimming. I usually forget to use them but the filter goes bad so fast that it probably makes no difference. They would be good to use over the filter when you know poo has contaminated it and that smell does come out. It does not help with releasing any gas but then it was not working anyway.

Puppyluv

Fi Trix

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I will keep you updated with how I get on.