Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,310 members

Reversal

Posted by tmn86, on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 pm

what can I expect after my reversal?

Reply by warrior, on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:12 pm

first thing to do is research this idea. And this is the place to start. Keep an open mind. I am not a candidate for reversal. Altho they thought I would be..chrons developed in the stump. So I'm a permanent ilio.

Reply by Bagface, on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 pm

After my reversal,I was going to the bathroom 5-12 times a day. After about 4 weeks it slowed down to about 5 times; more depending on how much I eat. My reversal was 6 months ago and  I'm still "in training" Foods high in fat and chocolate cause diarrhea. I don't completely deny myself an indulgence sometimes, but I'm careful about what and how much I eat. It's challenging at times, but not insurmountable.

Reply by Bill, on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 am

I do hope you get lots of replies to this question, as itcan be pertinent to how you approach decision in this regard.

For my own part, I decided to stick with the stoma because I did not feel the surgeon fully understood the nature of my problems and the fact that the previous problems would probably return if I had a reversal. 

There have been a few past posts from folks who have had successful reversals and these can be found in the 'collections' section ( at the top of the page and in the section entitled 'ostomy reversals).

Unfortunately, many people who have successful reversals feel they no longer need a site like this and drift away. Thus, people like you don't get the benefit of their experience.

It is, as Warrior has pointed out, best to research the scenario in depth and apply your findings to your own situation to see whether this is the right path to take - given all the circumstances.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by xnine, on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:19 am

I was told that if I was reconnected I would be using Depends so it just depends what happens.

Reply by tmn86, on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am

Thank you so much for responding. It doesn’t sound like it’s as bad as everyone says. I hear a lot of negative responses it’s nice to hear it’s not that bad.

Bagface wrote:

After my reversal,I was going to the bathroom 5-12 times a day. After about 4 weeks it slowed down to about 5 times; more depending on how much I eat. My reversal was 6 months ago and  I'm still "in training" Foods high in fat and chocolate cause diarrhea. I don't completely deny myself an indulgence sometimes, but I'm careful about what and how much I eat. It's challenging at times, but not insurmountable.

Reply by tmn86, on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Also do you have to get up @ night?

Do you think this is a great decision? I’m really excited for it !

Bagface wrote:

Reply by Bagface, on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:18 am

tmn86--I eat a small meal at night. I learned early on not to eat too much at night, as it resulted in several trips to the bathroom! I'm very fortunate to have had a successful reversal, due largely in part to a wonderful surgeon. I feel excited for you!  I remember how nervous and excited I felt before my reversal, but I was definitely ready for it. I've heard the horror stories too, but as Bill said, there are many successes out there that you don't hear about. Some folks who've had poor outcomes go back to an ostomy. I'm anxious to hear how you make out. Keep us posted. This is a great website!

Reply by fable3, on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Hello! I am 6 years out from my last reversal surgery. During the first couple days in the hospital, I had a lot of gas. My stomach felt bloated and made a lot of noise. Nurses were very happy! When I was finally released, I experienced very painful passing of mucus/diarrhea about two or three times a day. I started slow with bland soft foods. I became constipated, which worried me more because I was still healing. The first few months were a bit of a struggle between constipation and diarrhea. I have never regretted my decision. I needed my bag and am grateful I had it. Saved my life! I had a two phase reversal... colostomy to ileostomy to full anastomosis ... over a 6 month period. I spent a month in the hospital due to adhesions from radiation after the first surgery, and then developed a peristomal infection. They wouldnt perform the final surgery until the infection had cleared. Long journey, but worth the adventure!

Reply by tmn86, on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 pm

I am excited , but nervious. I have 9 grandkids and am kinda scared that I won’t be as active as I was. 

Thank you for reminding me that it’s worth it😀

fable3 wrote:

Hello! I am 6 years out from my last reversal surgery. During the first couple days in the hospital, I had a lot of gas. My stomach felt bloated and made a lot of noise. Nurses were very happy! When I was finally released, I experienced very painful passing of mucus/diarrhea about two or three times a day. I started slow with bland soft foods. I became constipated, which worried me more because I was still healing. The first few months were a bit of a struggle between constipation and diarrhea. I have never regretted my decision. I needed my bag and am grateful I had it. Saved my life! I had a two phase reversal... colostomy to ileostomy to full anastomosis ... over a 6 month period. I spent a month in the hospital due to adhesions from radiation after the first surgery, and then developed a peristomal infection. They wouldnt perform the final surgery until the infection had cleared. Long journey, but worth the adventure!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.