Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,317 members

Sourdough bread

Posted by Newatthis, on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:15 pm

My wife makes delicious sourdough bread.  However my stoma pouch keeps filling up with air.

Can the bread be the source of ballooning  and if so is there an antidote to stop this. I like the bread and don't want to stop eating it. However.....

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:42 pm

yes, bread and grains/cereal are known gas producers. nothing i have tried completly eliminates this. for this reason i dont eat them, i suppose you could eat them when you know you will be home and the gas doesnt hurt much. i irrigate and as such completly forget about my ostomy, however a little bread and i have to worry about "fart noises" when i`m in a social situation...it just isnt worth it to me. 

Reply by Newatthis, on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:48 pm
mild_mannered_super_hero wrote:

yes, bread and grains/cereal are known gas producers. nothing i have tried completly eliminates this. for this reason i dont eat them, i suppose you could eat them when you know you will be home and the gas doesnt hurt much. i irrigate and as such completly forget about my ostomy, however a little bread and i have to worry about "fart noises" when i`m in a social situation...it just isnt worth it to me. 

I don't get any noises but I balloon a lot. I don't irrigate and have a closed pouch. Fortunately I also have an air release valve so I can let the air out,......just the inconvenience and smell

Reply by Tickpol , on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:28 am

Breads hold a lot of air by their nature.  You can probably reduce some of the gas by thoroughly chewing (32+ chews before you swallow).  That should break all the "bubbles" in the bread.  Also if you can limit your fluid intake to 4 oz during the meal.

I've found taking gas-x can also reduce the gas.

Dave

Reply by Newatthis, on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:43 am
Tickpol wrote:

Breads hold a lot of air by their nature.  You can probably reduce some of the gas by thoroughly chewing (32+ chews before you swallow).  That should break all the "bubbles" in the bread.  Also if you can limit your fluid intake to 4 oz during the meal.

I've found taking gas-x can also reduce the gas.

Dave

Thank you. I live in UK...I wonder if I can get gas-x over here? Will have to ask my pharmacist 

Reply by Tickpol , on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 am

The active ingredient is Simethicone.  You may be able to find a generic or the same product by another name.

Dave

Reply by dadnabbit, on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Newatthis,  I have found that both Gas X and Beano help alleviate gas "blowup", and both are available at Walmart online and Amazon.  Don't know how that works for you over in the UK, but I'm pretty sure they're both pretty universal....  Good luck

Peace

Dadnabbit

Reply by newyorktorque, on Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Bread will cause my bag to balloon as well but due to SBS I'm limited to what I should be eating and bread is allowed.  So I try to keep bread to a minimun when dining out and I cannot go to sleep right after I eat it to avoid the dreaded blow out.  I found this out the hard way after I ate stove top stuffing and fell asleep LOL!  Thank goodness for bed pads : )

Reply by Jd-bham, on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:29 am

I am two weeks in and learning. What is irrigate? 

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:27 pm
Jd-bham

irrigation is a flushing of the colon, its possible with correct diet to go 2 full days without any output. it eliminates leaks, irritated skin and other problems associated with a colostomy. not everyone qualifies as you must have some decending colon left and it must be healthy. most cancer survivors qualify. i suggest if you have a colostomy you ask your doctor or nurse if you are a candidate for irrigation. its a life changer !

Reply by Newatthis, on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:45 am
Jd-bham wrote:

To all that have written in connection with sourdough bread I thank you all for the information that you have posted, It has been very helpful

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.