Looking for StealthBelt Pro users' feedback

Replies
Views
Stu54

Yes, I have a Stealth Belt. I thought, after seeing all the advertisements about them, that it would solve all my problems. I could live a near-normal life, do all sorts of things they say or show people waterskiing, diving, even reports of people doing Tough Mudder assault course. Well, I can't do very much at all. The belt has not done much for me. To be honest, I don't see that it's possible for the belt to help you do all these things. My advice? Just don't believe all the hype about them. But you can try for yourself. I live in the UK. It took 5 weeks to get it, not cheap. I even got caught for customs charges, import duty £50 on top of the purchase price.

Jamcoop1

My husband loves the Stealth Belt! It was a game changer for him as he could tuck in his shirts, not feel the pouch dangling vertically all of the time, sleep and shower with it on, and feel like he is not wearing a pouch at all. Great for sports also. Absolutely was worth the price - he bought two of them. It took him 48 hours to adjust/adapt to it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ranger2705

Had my colostomy in Dec. of last year. Bought the Stealth Belt Pro and wear it 24/7. Couldn't be happier. Thought it might be too hot this summer but has not been a problem. Have gone swimming in pools and the ocean. Wear a swim shirt so it doesn't show. Never had a leak. Was a little concerned about the horizontal position but hasn't been much of an issue. I just run my hand across the bag from time to time to push any output to the side. All in all, best $130 I have spent since surgery.

Xerxes

Bob, thanks for the info on the vertical stealth belt and thanks for the compliment about my name.

Xerxes

NewlifeVictoria

Hi ostomy friends, I have another hernia and I need a nice belt. I think will that help. I have been doing too much, I guess. The doctor said I didn't need a belt, well months later and I know we have one when they do a stoma, but they should tell us to wear a belt?! But anyway, please let me know please which one, what to do because I guess from lifting boxes my hernia got big. I don't know what to do. I don't know what belt. They're not cheap. Also, I know everyone is different, but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Victoria.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Tickpol

Looking at the Stealth Belt, I think that what they're saying is that the belt can survive whatever you try to do. I learned as a kid that PF Flyers didn't make me run faster or jump higher (60's kids sneaker that had that advertising claim). I see the Stealth Belt as helping appearance (cosmetics) but in no tangible way aiding in performance.

This is my 2 cents, and after 20 surgeries (more than one hernia), my rule of thumb is that if you wonder if you should do something because of weight or other strain, don't do it.

I have used a true support belt (a foot wide with an opening for my appliance) after detecting the hernia and prior to surgery. I wouldn't consider one as a preventative in any way other than as a reminder to be more thoughtful about respecting my body's limitations.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, thanks everyone who shares their information on belts!! Thank you. I want a soft, but strong kind of not so costly, but anyway I don't think of price if it works. So, can anyone tell me any experiences they have or had!! I'm also in more pain trying to get anything that will help me figure out what I need. Thanks in advance for the help and support here. People care and love each other. Lol, well we do help the situation because we all know it's there for life and we need to figure it out! I know people that don't have our problems, they have no idea! Bull; bull; bull; bull; bull; bull; on me, but I know I have to try to make it feel and look so great.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi everyone, hope you're all enjoying their holiday weekend. And I also want to add, how awesome this site brings help and friendship!! I just got scared haha. My happy is really making a lot of noise! Anyway, it's been very hard to accept, but I must say it's the reason I'm sitting here writing. This stuff isn't easy to figure out, but with help and experiences from others, I will say it does help... I don't know with the belt? Seems like I can't get comfortable with something over my happy stoma. Please enjoy and write when you can. Enjoy the holiday weekend. I'm not doing anything different today! But thinking fall is coming. How's everyone doing? Hope everyone is well and dancing around and feeling good!! I'm not going to complain anymore. Have a great day!! Hugs, Victoria

w30bob

Tickpol,

I hate to disagree with you, but I call it like I see it. PF Flyers definitely made me run faster, and you were just "uncool" if you didn't have a pair. That was until red Keds and Converse All Stars took over the top "gotta have" shoe position back when people were normal. But without my PF's.........my brother could easily outrun me in a race. With them, I kicked his ass. Now stepping on a stone in bare feet at full stride may have had something to do with it.........but having my PF's on always prevented that.

Later Bro,

Bob

Tickpol

Search "Ostomy Support Belt" in Amazon. You should be able to get away with something that'll help you out for around $40 (US).

What I found is that it will depend on how tall you are for how wide, but wider is better than not.   Too wide and you can't bend over!

Pay attention to the opening size.   If the opening is too much bigger than your appliance width, it will wear away at your seal as you move.

Make sure it's breathable.   You'd be surprised how much heat you generate under there (in my mind, neoprene is only good if you're going to immerse yourself in water).

Make sure it's washable.

I've got one that is a single, horizontal elastic band from top to bottom.   I have another that has about 4 horizontal elastic bands.   The first one makes me feel more secure, but the second one is more forgiving if I'm bending over.

Make sure it's washable (I really mean it LOL).

Hope you get relief soon!

Dave

Past Member

I have been very pleased with all of my Stealthbelt products. Definitely worth the cost. And much better than any other product I have found. Even though they show their products with bags being worn horizontally, they will make any of their belts to be used if the bag is worn vertically. They have a good return policy.

Tickpol

I'm a high volume ostomy person. I can put out over 300 ml within 45 minutes of eating and/or drinking. I'm not sure if my volume allows me to be a candidate for a stealth belt. I'm hoping that someone else who's high volume could share their experience.

Dave

w30bob

Hi Dave,

Being short gutted, I'm high output too.......I could easily triple your numbers, but it's not a contest. For me, I need to know exactly how full my bag is all the time. It's those times that I forget that I'm not a normal human being and don't check that I run into problems. It also depends on the shape of your stoma. If you got a good one that your barrier seals well all around, that would make something like the Stealth Belt a more viable option. Mine is a bit wacked and one side is flush while the rest is raised........so you can guess where it leaks, when it does. I just watched the Stealth Belt video on their site again. I like the belt part for barrier support, but would have to cut the bag holder part off. The way I check my bag all day is to simply put my right hand under my shirt and feel the bag. With the Stealth Belt, that wouldn't really be possible. I also empty it way more than most folks, so anything that adds to the emptying process is not a positive for me. I'm pretty sure I'd wear out their zipper in no time.

Now I've had my ostomy for 5 years this past September, and I've been slowly reducing my output as I better understand how to properly hydrate, assert a little self-control when eating, and by determining my body's natural cycle for bowel activity. What I'm saying is in the past, I used to drink and eat way too much for fear of losing weight and dehydrating. I'm learning I don't need all that food and drink, as most is just passing through because my limited bowel absorption surface area is full.....as in there are no more parking spots, so whatever flows in leaves just as quickly. I'm also understanding better how the stomach determines when to dump contents into the small bowel based on composition........so I can reduce my output when I have to, but it's still not at a quantity most ostomates are familiar with.

So for me, the Stealth Belt is a no. It would just complicate my frequent emptyings. But if I ever get to a point where my frequency and volume of output get closer to the norm, I'll definitely look into it. Or more likely just make my own. But I can see how it would be very beneficial to folks with less output. Just embroider a Nike swoosh logo on it, and you might just start a major fashion trend.......as other athletes will see it and think it's something that gives you an advantage. Now wouldn't that be the shit if people started wearing ostomy bag covers as a fashion statement! Ok......on that note, I'm done. Have a great evening.

Regards,

Bob

Tickpol

Bob,

I'm right there with you although I'm miles behind in learning how my "new" gut is functioning. I'm still at that stage of keeping something in the pipe at all times; it's been hell trying to put on weight. I don't think I'd have the confidence to wear the stealth belt on a day-in day-out basis. I do have a special occasion coming up in December and keeping my shirt untucked isn't a viable option. I'm thinking of getting one for "occasional" wear but I aspire to someday know my gut well enough to be able to take advantage of one.

Appreciate your advice and the articles you've shared. Still pushing back on the ORS but I think that at some point we all arrive at the same destination. LOL

Dave

Past Member

I have high output as well. I have to empty every hour even if I haven't eaten. Though I don't wear it every day, when I do it has not been a problem.  

w30bob

Hi lawheeler3,

That's good to know. As I learn to better control my output, maybe a Stealth Belt might become a viable option. I'm not consistently in the "emptying once per hour" group, but that's a nice goal to shoot for. But I'm working on it and who knows... I might just get there... at least for parts of the day. But for now, I'll keep experimenting. I bought a sewing machine last year, taught myself to sew, and I've been making bag covers and such from different materials. Maybe I'll make a Stealthbelt clone and see if I like it. Glad to hear it's working for you, as it looks like a decently made product. I'm certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from trying it... by all means, have at it!

Thanks,

Bob

T-Spoon

I have a stealth belt and the only leaks I have experienced have been when I wear it. Sucks, I was liking it. It didn't make me feel worried or insecure about my bag hanging down below my shirt.

Superme

I have 5 Stealthbelts and knowing that, you would know that these are a very favorable part of my wardrobe. Hell yes, they are expensive but totally worth it. I wear one for work, another for sports, and one for when I go to sleep at night. I found that people like to stare. They will stare, especially if you have a big bulge hanging down your leg. I do get a bit self-conscious when that goes on. The Stealth Belt makes me a lot more confident, comfortable, and secure. If my pouch bulges, it is under my shirt and really not noticeable. I wear all my pouches horizontally. I have had a blowout at night, but the belt saved me and my sheets. When I realized I had a blowout, I went to the washroom and emptied my pouch and gently took off the belt. It was easy to clean up, and I took a quick shower and put on a fresh pouch and belt. I only lost a half hour of sleep. Finally, there are different colors and designs to choose from, so it could be a fun thing. Think of it like you are accessorizing. I would like to add that there ARE insurance companies that will allow you to claim a portion of the cost. Just check with your insurance. Even the people at Stealthbelt might know. Mike