Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,317 members

Bath

Posted by tmn86, on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Anyone on here take a bath? 

Any problems/issues?

Any comments would be appreciated. 

Reply by xnine, on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Just keep a dipper handy and clean any oils away after and use a skin prep before you apply your kit.

I bath naked and I have a colostomy so I have periods with no output.

Last edited by xnine on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by Lucy123, on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:27 pm

I too would like to know about this as well, prior to my ostomy surgery I used to enjoy a long hot bath where I would relax, wind down, and read my book.

Now however, I am afraid to sit and soak too long, I can’t even relax well anymore as I worry constantly about shortening the lifespan of my flange, and causing a leak situation. 

I hope some of you have some helpful tips on this subject like you do on several other situations.

Reply by Ewesful, on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 pm

feel free to bathe even in hot water and completely relax --- even in a hot tub --

I empty the bag first but keep it on me, then just enjoy --- when I am ready to get out.  My routine is to remove the bag, then shower or wash the stoma  area  completely, then put on a new fresh bag....feels like heaven!!! 

You can swim to your hearts content too..  there are small swim bags just for that.     You can also just fold your bag in half so it is less bulky.

Reply by Bill, on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:13 am

I have a bath most mornings and, apart from the very occasional 'accident', I enjoy every minute of it. I do not wear a bag or a plug during bathing but I do have dry wipes or tissues handy in case of (rare) output.

I VIEW BATHING AS JUST ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE THINGS that is not going to get in my way in the process of living a full and active life. Doing the things I enjoy is part of  a way of life that I am not willing to relinquish simply because I have a stoma. For me, it's about attitude and management of problems as they arise. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by panther, on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am

I'm a soaker love a nice long relaxing hot soak in the bath especially in the winter months, only problem the water goes cold on me from staying in to long lol, I have very high output so always have a bag on, dosen't affect the flange on mine but I do change about every 3 or 4 days 

dls
Reply by dls, on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm

So happy to read so many of us bathe, here in rthe US most people shower.  I love baths. Showering only when I was away at school or camp, in hotels, or visiting (people always expect you to us their shower). Like many of you, I bath naked. No pouch, ever. At 1.7 years since Stomy, I have taken the advice read on this site and learned to anticipate and understand my output.  I'm getting there, so I rarely have any output when bathing. I use a hand-held shower attachment to rinse. OH, I never wash my hair in the bath or shower.  I use a sink for that. I have alot of hair and it gets everywhere.  Yuck.

I find that a bath really allows me to clean around my stoma, geting rid of any residual adhesive.  Reapplying my 'kit' is the first order of business after bathing. A quick dry off then down to business. With my fresh new pouch, I am free to use my lotions and potions, finish a pedicure...just feel lovely and clean.

As to advice? Read everything above. A bath will not hurt you or your stoma.

Reply by Ewesful, on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm
dls wrote:

So happy to read so many of us bathe, here in rthe US most people shower.  I love baths. Showering only when I was away at school or camp, in hotels, or visiting (people always expect you to us their shower). Like many of you, I bath naked. No pouch, ever. At 1.7 years since Stomy, I have taken the advice read on this site and learned to anticipate and understand my output.  I'm getting there, so I rarely have any output when bathing. I use a hand-held shower attachment to rinse. OH, I never wash my hair in the bath or shower.  I use a sink for that. I have alot of hair and it gets everywhere.  Yuck.

I find that a bath really allows me to clean around my stoma, geting rid of any residual adhesive.  Reapplying my 'kit' is the first order of business after bathing. A quick dry off then down to business. With my fresh new pouch, I am free to use my lotions and potions, finish a pedicure...just feel lovely and clean.

As to advice? Read everything above. A bath will not hurt you or your stoma.

I totally am impressed as well --- I have an ilieostomy and very little small intestine left so output can happen anytime as I eat often.   I use a hand held shower to rinse off and clean the stoma but I keep the bag on while soaking so I can enjoy a real soak!

Reply by newyorktorque, on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:41 am

Hi tmn

Those days of wine & roses with a steamy hot bath to soak in are over for me.  I have a high output stoma.  I could manage a quick naked bath for maybe 5 mins, but even then theres no guarantee.  Plus I have a power port on my chest so I could only submerge to a certain level.  I just stand in the tub using a poof sponge to bathe and use a towel over the port to keep it dry.  I miss not being able to shower everyday but the nurse showed me how to deacess my port which means I can shower once a week on the day he comes to change the dressing and reaccess.  Yay!

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi How are you? I have been Over 6 years with a colostomy then a ileostomy then revised it another surgery and 2 more after,,, so that was 3 major surgeries in a year 😢and I been so sick and it’s complications 😢I been on the couch not able to do much!! I gained weight,I don’t understand how but I did and it makes me so upset and sad and being fatter then I ever been  and everything hurts and I’m scared to do anything! I have to figure this out!!! I do want to go in a hot tub is that ok you think? I’m very nervous about everything because I do something, I hurt myself... like everything makes me nauseous or sick and I’m sorry,I’m going on and on I don’t mean to  sorry 😐 how’s your week going? I hope your doing ok 

panther wrote:

I'm a soaker love a nice long relaxing hot soak in the bath especially in the winter months, only problem the water goes cold on me from staying in to long lol, I have very high output so always have a bag on, dosen't affect the flange on mine but I do change about every 3 or 4 days 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.