Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,328 members

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

JMC
Posted by JMC, on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm

OK, so I am usually a bit apprehensive about seeing a Tarantino film (sometimes a tad too violent for this lass) even though I appreciate the story he is trying to tell, but in this movie I believe Quentin has outdone himself and I thought it was bloody brilliant (huge five stars to Brad and Leo)!  And spoiler alert, even though I dreaded watching the ending knowing a bit about the story beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised with the twist (and only wish that had been the ending in real life).  The soundtrack is excellent!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 am

Wow, 

Might have to just go see that. What a list of stars. We go to the movies every Sunday unless there is just nothing out we want to see. I go for the popcorn, I am obsessed with popcorn! Lol

Thanks for sharing, 

puppyluv

Reply by arcpass, on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:18 pm

I didn't like the soundtrack. When you think of all the great music available from 1969, I don't know why no music from The Beatles, The Roiling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Crosby Stills & Nash, Joni Mitchell, Sly & The Family Stone, Three Dog Night, The Youngbloods, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blood Sweat & Tears or The Doors. All these bands had hits in 1969. Maybe it would cost too much too use something from these other bands?

Reply by Sueaxe, on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi yourself, I can't imagine you being apprehensive lol! 

I hope you're well

Tc

S

Reply by Newbie Dana, on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 pm

I have seriously cut back going to the movies in theaters - the smell of the popcorn drives me nuts and I can't eat it any more. For some reason, it swells up and causes a very painful partial blockage that takes hours to pass. Instead I just watch at home on dvd. But I really miss popcorn!

JMC
Reply by JMC, on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:23 pm
arcpass wrote:

I didn't like the soundtrack. When you think of all the great music available from 1969, I don't know why no music from The Beatles, The Roiling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Crosby Stills & Nash, Joni Mitchell, Sly & The Family Stone, Three Dog Night, The Youngbloods, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blood Sweat & Tears or The Doors. All these bands had hits in 1969. Maybe it would cost too much too use something from these other bands?

Seeing the line-up you have there I may have to change my mind about the soundtrack!  Then again any music from the last century is above and beyond anything made today.

But as it was set in Hollywood and given the subject matter I thought the music chosen reflected the era well, particularly the song below, almost like it was made for the movie. 

Appreciate your opinion and thanks for the reminder of some great musicians.

Reply by arcpass, on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 am

That song wasn't part of the soundtrack in Southern California.  Was it on the soundtrack in Australia?

JMC
Reply by JMC, on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 am

Part of the 12.30 song was used as the effwit Manson family drove up to Rick Dalton's house and also I think part of it was used as Sharon Tate danced at the party with who I assume were Michelle Phillips and Mama Cass but I could be wrong about the latter as I have had the song on a loop in my head since I saw the movie!

Funnily enough I note that "12.30" is not listed on the soundtrack CD but might be in the "incidental music".

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.