Invaluable Resource for Stoma Skin Issues - Check Out This Book!

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang,

Just wanted to share some info on a book I found that is incredibly useful if you have any issues with the skin around your stoma. I've attached a pic, so hopefully it uploads. It's basically a picture book of all the things that can go wrong with the skin around your stoma, what the condition is called, how it's treated, etc. Makes it much easier for your doc or dermatologist if you can point them in the right direction. Now normally this book is only bought by medical libraries, etc., but there's now a newer second edition that came out recently, so you can find used copies really cheap if you search the web. I think it originally cost $250 but I've got both my copies for a buck apiece and $5 or $6 shipping........from AbeBooks.com. I just checked today and found two more copies for a buck each and they're on their way to me from the UK. So I now have 4 copies and would gratefully share two of them with you guys if you're having an issue and need it now. I need one copy for myself to have on hand and I'm giving one copy to a friend of mine I work with who had his colon removed last year and now has a bag.

So my advice is to get yourself a copy, and if you're having skin issues and need it now, just shoot me a message with your address and I'll get a copy right out to you. If you're not in the States and postage is stupid you may have to help me a bit, but I'll ship it as economically and quickly as you'd like. I did borrow a second edition through the Library of Congress earlier this year and compared it to the first edition I have. There are some more/different pics in the second edition, but none of the info in the first edition is wrong, it's just been added to a bit. So I don't see the need to fork over a few hundred bucks for the second edition, but if you want one I think there are a couple on AbeBooks if you have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Just so we're clear, we're working off the honor system here. So you can hang onto the book as long as you like, but if someone else messages me and wants to see a copy you'll need to send it on to them. Or maybe someone could upload the book to this site, although I don't know if this site can support such a thing. I guess we'll figure that out down the road. I expect my new 2 copies from the UK in about a week, so I'll be able to send them as soon as I get them. In summary, I think it's a cool book (that can be very hard to look at), but if it helps anyone with an issue it's an invaluable resource. Oh, the ISBN-10 for the first edition is 1853178969 and the ISBN-13 is 978-1853178962.

Regards,

Bob

Bill

Hello Bob. Tahnks for this great find! I'll see if I can borrow a copy from the British Library (they are very good like that!.

best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Just as I was taking a bite out of my sandwich, I scroll down and see the pictures, thanks Bob!

w30bob

Withed,

Sorry about that............but who reads ostomy posts while eating lunch? Hey, that was one of the easiest pages to look at.........I don't recommend folks pass this book around the dinner table!

Enjoy,

Bob

Past Member

Hey, not everything's about poop here!

Here's a link to buy them used on Amazon but hurry because there are only 3 available and new costs 60 while the other 2 used cost 250.

https://www.amazon.com/Abdominal-Stomas-Their-Skin-Disorders/dp/1853178969/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=1853178969&qid=1566495896&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
newyorktorque

Hey Bob

Great share. I need to suss out a cheap copy as it looks like a good book for anyone with a stoma.

w30bob

Yo Torque-a-roonie!

Well, I thought I might actually get through a day without learning anything new...........but you came to my rescue! I had to Google the phrase "suss out" because I've never heard that before. And I'm now that much smarter. So you rock, girl. If you find your sussing out is unfruitful, just let me know and I can get a copy right out to you. Hey, we haven't talked in a bit.........I'll shoot you a message as soon as I get back from putting all the animals in for the night. Stay tuned!

Later,

Bob

newyorktorque

It's not commonly used here in the US, but you would be more likely to hear it in the UK.

PJT

I'll need to add it to my library!

w30bob

Torquey,

Got it. Those Brits do have some cool slang! Now I need to go suss me out some lunch.........and a few Klondike bars!!

PJT,

Thanks for the pic. I also just got a stoma book entitled Abdominal Stomas by Jerome S Abrams, Indications, Operative Technique and Patient Care. More of an overall stoma book, but a bit dated, with a copyright of 1984. But the price was right, so what the heck. So, of the books you have pictured.........which do you recommend? I got to say, looking at this stuff does sometimes gross me out. It also pisses me off, because as I said in another post.........I was never told any of this bad stuff could accompany a stoma. Knowledge is power, but sometimes it can also turn your stomach!

Thanks,

Bob

PJT

The book to the left, with the blue cover, was written by my surgeon, S. Arthur Localio. When I had my surgery done in 1978, I signed a release so a photographer could take pictures for a book the surgeon was writing. I bought this book thinking I might see my innards, but I couldn't really tell if it was me! Intestinal Stomas by Celestin is good. Lots of pictures, including pictures of early ostomy appliances.

w30bob

PJT,

Thanks! I just ordered the Celestin book from AbeBooks. Seems most are located in the UK or Germany, but it'll be here in a week or so. Total with shipping to the States was $12 if anyone else is interested. They have 3 or 4 ex-library copies priced cheap.

Regards,

Bob

w30bob

PJT,

My copy of Intestinal Stomas by Celestin got here yesterday. It looks like a good book on the subject... It shows how the stoma is created, which is very interesting. Thanks for the tip on the book!!

Regards,

Bob