Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,328 members

hello

Posted by looking forward, on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:18 am

has anyone actually gained weight after illeostomy??  how to lose it??

Reply by Songbird16, on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:07 am

Hi!

Yes.  Stay active.  I find that walking/running on the track daily for 2-3 miles sometimes more sometimes less sometimes I skip a day...helps.  If you are unable to to walk, then keep active doing something that you love, excerise, but move.  For me, it's important to keep a positive attitude and live like you're slim and beautiful.  Also for me, I have become every thought I choose to think,  every word I choose to speak and whatever food I choose to digest.  God bless you.

Last edited by Songbird16 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by Mark1070, on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Obsolutely. Food moves through you so fast without a colon, so you're always hungry.  You'll often get hungry every 3 or 4 hours so eat smaller meals and more often throughout the day. Eating big meals is simply a waste of food. Staying active also helps. 

Reply by Longroad78, on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:30 pm

I had UC and it slowed my body down when it came to building on extra muscle and weight with flare ups that I never knew that I would gain the extra weight after my ileostomy surgery, I went from 236 before surgery to 215 after surgery, it has almost been a year and I am over my per surgery weight. I gained extra muscle as I am stronger at work but in the past few months I am putting on fat now. Found I was eating to many bad calories and eating to late in the evening. I also was avoiding greens because of the fear of another blockage but I am slowly changing my diet and reducing the bad calories and testing the different vegetables. Staying active at my job is never a issue for me as I work outside and am always on my feet. Staying active and positive helps with the ongoing changes as I learn to adapt and work with the things that have changed for me through this new lease on life.  

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.