Colostomy - High Output Management Tips

Replies
Views
Past Member

I've got a permanent colostomy and have also been on medical leave for the last six months. For the last three months, through no effort of my own, I seem to get all of my output at once, in the morning at about 9 AM. Usually this comes in two "bursts" so I empty the bag twice. I'm fairly confident that if I just waited for everything to come out at once I would have a blowout.

The reason that this is a concern for me is that 9 AM is around the time of my morning commute once I re-start work this coming Monday. I'm terrified about having a blowout in my car.

Has anyone else had this issue with low-frequency high output and have been able to manage it? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Tickpol

It's probably easier to work with your boss to adjust your start time? I'm not a morning person and I normally roll into work around 9:00 AM myself.

Is working from home an option? I work from home 2 days a week and boy does it make a difference. I have to empty every 45 minutes or so and my commute is 45 minutes so....

Someone else may have medical suggestions but unfortunately I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from your situation.

Dave

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,375 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Donleo

Are you eating lots of carbs? I am told it takes 6 hours to process food. I find when I eat lots of carbs this happens.

veejay

It is more than likely your breakfast working its way through your system.

Having had your plumbing altered, (as we all have) if food goes in, something has to come out. Gross as it sounds.

I had the same problem around 9 am when I first became an ostomate 20 years ago.

The good news is there is an excellent solution.

IRRIGATION!

Look into it. Once you get it mastered, you won't look back.

Just Google. It is all there. Or there are many helpful "irrigators" on this site willing to impart advice. Feel free to ask.

Does not work with ileostomy. Check that you indeed have a colostomy.

Good luck.

V.J.

Past Member

Timing is everything when figuring out when to eat and when to work. I try to eat during the middle of the day, eat lightly, and go lightly. I generally go a few times during the middle of the night and before work time. I stay dry during the day unless I start eating.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
freedancer

Could you speak with your HR department and your supervisor and see if they could make a reasonable accommodation for you? Perhaps it would be possible for you to do your first two hours of work from your home or perhaps they can adjust your work hours so you can come in later. It is worth a try, right?

Bill

Hello laos75. 

You already have some constructive replies to this post so, as a fan of irrigation, I would urge you to consider Veejay's suggestion and give it a go. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain if it works for you. 

Best wishes

Bill