Problem with stool going down descending track?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
MindAboveMatter

Hi guys, I had an emergency colostomy about two years ago, and it has the ascending intestines on the left and the descending intestines on the right. Very small in size like a quarter, and pretty flush to my belly. So when the stool comes up, some ends up getting pushed down the descending track because of my snug waistband and shirt. I don't ever let my bag fill up, constantly removing it as it pops up, except in bed at night. I know how much goes down the wrong side because I use a q-tip to carefully dig it out. Question is, I never feel the need to pass stool out my rectum. I mean, I don't think it comes back up but I don't think it's building up down below. Does anyone have the same issue? Any thoughts are appreciated too!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Tickpol

I had a temporary ostomy back in '81. It had partially retracted into my abdomen, so not all the stool made it into the pouch. It was mildly annoying until I got reversed a few months later, but there were no ill effects.

I'm thinking that first you need to get the doctors in the loop. Secondly, there's a number of protectors and guides that should solve the waistband and shirt issues.

Dave

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Tickpol

I should have also noted that what did go down did come out of my rectum.

Dave

iMacG5

Hi MAM.  I'm not trained at all in medicine and though I had a loop colostomy at one time, I'm very confused regarding your situation.  First I need to know if the right and left you reference are your right and left or what you see in a mirror.  Then, I'm interested to know a little more.  There are folks here who are way more familiar with stuff like yours and I'm sure they will jump in like Dave to offer some assistance.

Respectfully,

Mike