Seeking advice on proctocolectomy for rectal discharge

Replies
Views
Rayofsunshine

Hi, I have had a stoma pouch now for 2 years and since then I have problems with lots of discharge from the rectum. Doctors have tried various things to help and now think the only way to stop this is to perform a proctocolectomy. (Removal of colon and rectum.) I have no muscle control, therefore it's embarrassing when I am out and cannot get to the toilet in time. I am usually a very positive person and with all the operations I have had, I just get on with life. But this is now ruling my life. My question is, has anyone had this problem or has had a proctocolectomy?

Past Member

Yes. I had my surgery many years ago because of Crohn's and fistulas and now have the freedom to go and do wherever I want. Freedom! You just have to get past the surgery part of it but worth it to me. I hope it works out well for you too.

Take care and God bless you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Tickpol

I had mine back in April.

For years, I always kept track of where the bathroom was and was always doing the "can I make it" calculation.

I had a lot of rectal pain as well, and my control was questionable thanks to all the scarring at the sphincter.

I cannot tell you how freeing it is. Songbird16 nailed it. You have to be mindful of how you sit and what you're sitting on until it heals completely, but once it has.... it's just wonderful.

With all the modern pain management tools, I really thought it was going to be worse. I had a lot of scar material down there, and the original plan was to do an ALT Flap procedure. Thankfully, my surgeon had enough good material to work with.

Every now and then, I get the Phantom Rectum thing, but in my case, it's like an early warning of movement into the pouch.

Best of luck,

Dave

Rayofsunshine

Thank you so much for your reply.

Rayofsunshine

Thank you so much for your reply.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
warrior

Ucerlis...is a steroid form. Taken like an enema. I am 2 years with stoma like you. Suffered a mix of mucus and blood. I have an ilio with no colon. I do have a rectum and discharges unpredictable. Well, this medication helped a lot. Turns out Crohn's is still in the rectum and this foam is very helpful in reducing inflammation. I rarely bleed and mucus does occur, but talk mishaps where you get in or out of the car?? Yikes. The drug has offered a remission. Dunno about rectum removal. Maybe one day in the future. Who knows. But not now. Ask doctors about the medicine. Ucerlis. Good luck.

Bill

Thank you Rayofsunshine for this post as it is something that I haver been contemplating for many years.

It has  'amused' me to think that my stoma was supposed to cure my incontinence and here I am, years later,  with the problem of incontinence with excessive anal mucus which I still cannot control. 

When I discussed this with the surgeon he said that  a proctocolectomy was, in his opinion a MAJOR SURGERY and, for that reason, he would not recommend it unless it became a necessity. 

Herein lies my dilemma: I manage the mucus with incontinence pads (which are cost free on the NHS). I would describe this as a nuicance rather than critical, apart from some occasions when the build-up of mucus causes me pain and I, once again, begin to ponder the question that you pose in your post.

I have appreciated the replies you have recieved so far and hope you get many more as this helps me with my own deliberations. 

Best wishes

Bill

Tickpol

Bill's surgeon is right too. This isn't a beginner's surgery. I'm sorry if I made light of it, but I'm still reveling in the freedom of no more leakage, no more pain. While I'm still wrestling with absorption issues and having to frequently empty my pouch, in the grand scheme of things, I am better off.

I'm hoping you get an opposing view soon so that you can better weigh if doing it is right for you.

Dave

Rayofsunshine

Thank you for your reply.

Rayofsunshine

Thanks for your reply. I have to use enemas twice a week and stay in those days. This helps get rid of the blood and mucus. I thought I was finished with enemas after using them for 30 years but I suppose it could be a lot worse which I am grateful for.

TB Cat

I had a proctocolectomy 10 years ago after multiple colon resections due to having Lynch Syndrome. I would recommend it if you are to be an ostomate for life. In my case, leaving them in would have been another place for cancer to occur. Good luck.

Rayofsunshine

Thank you for your reply.