STOP signs at parking lot exits

Replies
Views
iMacG5

I just read that we don’t have to stop when leaving the parking lot at the super market. Those signs are not enforceable by the local police. The real, enforceable signs have a tag on the back verifying they issued by to governing authority and violators will be ticketed, fined or punished in some other manner. So from now on, when we encounter a STOP sign and we’re exiting the Home Depot or the Acme lot we should pull over, get out of our vehicle, walk over to look at the back of that sign to see if there’s an official label from the municipality. Then we’ll know if we should, in fact, stop. This eliminates all doubt and might make for a safer trip.
No need to thank me for this advice. Just trying to make life easier for all.
Mike

Bill

Hello Mike.

I do like your sense of humour even if we don't have stop signs here in the uk. I like to smile once in while.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi Bill.  Thanks for sharing your smile. I know you're lots of miles away physically but I feel like our spirits are much closer.  I'll continue learning from you and hopefully create more reasons for you to smile.

Sincerely,

Mike

Morning glory

Hi Mike ,This is funny

Past Member

Hi

I went to buy groceries today and upon entering the Fred Meyer parking lot I checked to see a "tag" on the back of the STOP sign and thought of you! ;Your ;post is funny! :)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi Mike,

You're right about cops not being able to enforce stop sign violations on private property..........but if you get into an accident by not stopping you will be found "at fault" by your insurance company, and in states that don't have "no fault insurance" your rates will go up (or you could get dropped if it's not your only accident). Also, folks shouldn't get the idea that cops can't enforce any driving rules on private property. It varies by state, but in most they can bust you for things like ;impaired, reckless or negligent driving, if you hit or kill someone with your car or leave the scene of an accident. Just sayin'.

Regards,

Bob

iMacG5

Hey Bill, it's not that your mini-rhyme wasn't obvious, it's just that I was oblivious.  But you can't deny that I gave it a try.

Respectfully,

Mike

Bill

Mike. Hello --  you gave it a go. And, once a rhyme's created it can be appreciated.

Best wishes

Bill 

iMacG5

Hey Songbird and Morning glory, glad you could get a chuckle.  

Now, Bob, please don't think I was even remotely serious.  Actually I was attempting to express blatant stupidity humorously but thanks for the MV refresher.  I'm from New Jersey where the rules are often different from those of the rest of the world.

Mike

iMacG5

Hi again, Bill.  I'm over the hill but to appreciate can be to celebrate.

Stay well,

Mike

lovely

Are you talking about no stop signs in parking lots?

w30bob

Hi Mike,

I'm from New Jersey too (Exit 16W or 153B)........so I hear ya.........and can relate!

later,

bob

Bill

Yes! I did mean stop signs at the exits to parking lots. Sorry I did not make myself clear.  However, it would not surprise me to see 'stop' signs, or even 'do not stop' signs appear within the parking zones as the people who think these thngs up seem to have that sort of humour (or they don't understand the irony of what it is they are saying)

Best wishes

Bill  

chet8625

I believe in Massachusetts the law is that if you are leaving private property and crossing a sidewalk you MUST stop before crossing the sidewalk. I believe the reason for this being law is because they cannot force a property owner to install stop signs.

iMacG5

Hey folks, I need to apologize.  I posted this thing in an attempt to be funny; maybe just silly.  Here's the thing.  The whole idea is about the inconvenience created by a STOP sign.  Who wants to stop when there's absolutely no reason.  We're leaving the market and want to get home before the 3 gallons of ice cream melts.  So, using the time and motion engineering experience I graduated from, I suggested we pull over, stop the vehicle, leave it and walk without getting hit by someone who just bought 5 gallons of ice cream, find something to stand on to see if there's an authentic label on the back of the sign and attempt to read if it's legitimate.  Then, carefully getting down from our perch, look both ways, twice, and go back to the vehicle we left standing on the side of the parking lot if it's still there.  Now, if there's any solid ice cream left in our vehicle that wasn't driven off by whomever wanted to drive it off, we might consider driving at excessive speed to get home while saving the remaining.  

Get where I'm coming from?

Mike

Past Member

Ha haha!! You were funny the first time and still is... :)

Past Member

There are things that you can joke about and people understand and join in, however, this life safety issue is not one. nbsp; There are people who now believe they should disregard the signage and continue on their merry even if it means they can become a hazard to themselves and even worse, others. nbsp; Just my two cents from a civil field engineer who has to deal with public traffic control and safety issues. nbsp; Kinda like medication if you were prescribed to a heart condition and the bottle direction gives you instructions, however, it does not say you must, so you don't and then you die.

Bill

Hello Bigboredave. (great name by the way!)  I can understand where you are coming from with the safety issues. However, having made great efforts to find humour within adverse situations (especially life-threatening ones), I might be a little skeptical about not being able to tease out the humourous side of the stop-sign scenario. Sometimes people take more notice of humour than they do of official and officious signage, which they tend to ignore in the same way that they try to ignore other frustrating and annoying things in their lives. Perhaps the signage should be more humourous ?

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

Bill,

People can be hit over the head with a 2x4 and still will not pay attention, some just not aware of their surroundings and some have a constant sense of urgency and self-importance entitlement. nbsp; How about a man walked into a bar joke instead? nbsp; Be well! nbsp

w30bob

Bigbore,

I'm guessing this post hit a nerve, but still not sure why you're so inflammed (IBD term). I'd say lighten up, but that would just piss you off.....as it would me. So we'll do it ;your way.......here's that joke

A guy walks into a bar. A big sign above the bar says "Complete the Challenge, WIN 5000". Being curious by nature, the guy asks the bartender about the sign. The bartender says, "It's simple, drink this big bottle of Jack Daniels, go out back and extract a bad tooth from an angry alligator and then go upstairs and give an orgasm to a woman who's never had one......and you'll win 5000 in cash."

The man thinks about and decides he has better things to do, but after hanging around and talking to a bunch of ;strangers in the bar for half an hour he ;figures why not......he doesn't have anything better to do. So the man gets the bartender's attention and lets him know he want to try the damn ;challenge, and the crowd goes wild.

The bartender gives him the big bottle of ;Jack and the ;guy puts it up to his lips and downs the whole thing. With tears in his eyes he staggers our the back door. A minute later everyone in the bar hears the alligator roaring and snapping. The roaring escalates and they hear it thrashing around. A few minutes later it stops and the bartender, who's wiping down the bar, shakes his head figuring the poor guy has met his fate.

But to everyone's surprise the guy comes stumbling ;in the back door breathing heavily, very drunk and covered in blood from the alligator's claws and teeth. He looks around, makes eye contact with the bartender and yells out, "ok, now where's that lady with the sore tooth?!"

Yeah, you knew how it was going to end, but it's still a good joke. And it got your mind off stop sighs. Oh, crap..........now you're thinking of those again. Doooh!

Hey..........have a good one,

later,

bob

Bill

Hello Bigboredave.

Sorry! I'm not very good at recalling jokes. However, I did write a series of booklets in 'di-line rhyme'. Two of these covered 'Poor Driving' and 'Poor Parking', which covered many of the points you made in your post. 

I cannot Duplicate all the rhymes here, so I'll pick a couple from each book, so that you can take a look:

POOR DRIVERS THINK THE HIGHWAY CODE -- IS JUST FOR OTHERS ON THE ROAD.

I'VE NOTICED HOW POOR DRIVERS WILL --USE THEIR CARS AS IF TO KILL.

The book on 'Poor Parking' was designed so that the pages could be torn out and stuck on offending driver's windscreens.

I THOUGHT I'D LEAVE THIS SNIDE REMARK---ABOUT THE LOUSY WAY YOU PARK.

OF ALL THE PARKERS ONE COULD MEET --- YOU ARE THE WORST ONE ON THIS STREET.

FOR CARS THAT TAKE THE SPACE OF TWO -- I USE THESE LABELS LACED WITH GLUE.

Then there are a number of two line rhymes aimed at the parking wardens:

FOR ALL BAD PARKERS THAT YOU'VE CAUGHT --YOU WELL DESERVE OUR FULL SUPPORT.

THIS CAR'S PARKING IS NOT NICE --- I HOPE YOU MAKE HIM PAY FULL-PRICE.

I DRAW ATTENTION TO THIS CAR-- TO SHOW HOW SELFISH PEOPLE ARE.

Obviously, there are many more 'di-line rhymes' in the books that express similar sentiments. I don't know whether the drivers of the vehicles take any notice of them, but I have had some encouraging comments from others who have been tempted to slap a comment or two onto windscreens, where the drivers and parkers have been inconsiderate.

Just thought I would share!

Best wishes

Bill

iMacG5

Hey Bill and Bob, thanks so much for the laughs (and advice).  Wish I could've accomplished that.  

Sincerely,

Mike