Parastomal Hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Poppy3

Hello there i am farely new on here I have a colostomy for 3 years and also have an hernia under my stoma ' it hasent really caused any problems but last couple of days my stomach feels achy ' bloated and feel very sluggish as if my stomach is a lot bigger than it is and aches when I walk ' just wanted to know if anyone else with a parastomal hernia feels like this too ' as if it's an effort to walk about because my stomach feels heavy too but it's not as big as it feels ' if that makes any sense ' thank you .

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Poppy.

The bloated feeling you describe might be caused by any number of things and if you are concerned about it, then it may be as well to discuss it with your GP or a stoma nurse.

I get this sort of feeling when I have trapped wind. My parastomal hermia doesn't help because it closes the exit hole so that nothing can pass ( including wind). However, so far I have been able to circumvent this causing me pain by irrigation, which gets everything going and flowing. Another method that I use, when I THINK THAT IT IS JUST MY INTESINES BEING 'LAZY'  is medication called 'Domperidone'. Ths is prescribed for my oesophagus which doesn't always work properly and food gets stuck. However, I quote from the leaflet: 

" Domperidone works by helping to move food faster through your food pipe(oesophagus) stomach and gut. This is so that it does not stay in the same place for too long. It also helps stop food flowing the wrong way back up your food pipe. Domperidone tablets are used:To treat or prevent nausea or vomiting // to treat or prevent indigestion or a feeling of discomfort or fullness in the stomach."

Apparently, Domperidone stimulates peristalsis so encourages your own body to be pushing stuff through rather than things like laxatives and enemas. 

I find it works for pushing through the wind as well!

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I was having the same sort of feelings, but I have a urostomy. My next appointment for scans is in Nov, I will ask my doctors about it, and let you know what they tell me. It sticks out a lot on my right side around my stoma compared to my left, my body is still swollen/numb after almost 2 yrs (nov10/17) they had to remove everything including my abs (cancer).

Poppy3

Thank you for your reply mine is on the right and getting uncomfortable ' I'm only 4ft 10 and very short bodied from under my chest to where my hernia is and don't seem a lot of room so makes it awkward to bend ' but yes I would be curious to what they say ' wishing you well xx

Poppy3

Thank you bill for your reply yes it also feels it needs helping along I will inquire about those tablets ' wish you well x

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
renomar

I have had 4 ileostomy hernia's removed as well as 4 prolapsed stoma repairs all within 1-2 year intervals since my first ileostomy placement until now. All involved different types of meshes, none that held up. I tried the ostomy belts but due to severe, chronic back pain, it caused more excrutiating pain. A hard cough, sneeze, lifting anything with weight, blowing your nose, and even my dog pulling on the lease could have caused these hernia's or the mesh itself. i was told by the last surgeon that no more surgeries are recommended due to severe complications with the last surgery. I truly hate hospitals and always wait until any medical issues are at a critical level before commiting to surgeries and/or any hospital admissions. I have several other severe health issues also which cause slow healing and/or infections after surgery. It is my personal opinion, that ileostomy hernia's are the norm. If pain is constant around or near the hernia, I would suggest telling your gastroenterologists in order for imaging to be done. It is the only way to determine if the hernia is strangulated causing a blockage. In the interim, I also suggest switching to soft foods and drink tons of fluids. See if that makes a difference. It works for me. I would never suggest the use of an ileostomy belt if you have severe back problems because it will only make it worse. I use cold water for irrigating the bag once a day. It feels fantastic around the bottom of the stoma. I grab the bag and swish hard, squeezing both sides simultaneiously then releasing. Very refreshing.