New Ostomy Appliance: Coloplast's Comfortable Solution for Hernias

Replies
Views
jghandymann

I don't know how many people out there are experiencing a problem with a large hernia around their stoma. I have for years now and Coloplast has come out with a new barrier that fits like a glove.

https://www.coloplast.us/landing-pages/sensura-mio-convex-flip-page-ppc/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl82b_o7g5AIVkrfsCh12owweEAAYASAAEgIS6fD_BwE gclsrc=aw.ds

I just started using them at the beginning of September and I now have something that's comfortable and form fitting. I don't worry as much about leakage as before. I'm using the 2-piece click but I still use Tegaderm Film cut in half around the barrier. It's 3M Tegaderm Film ref# 1626, 4 in x 4 3/4. Check it out. It already has helped with the leakage worry. I also quit using anything with alcohol in it because it was causing me to bleed. I basically remove the bag and appliance, jump in the shower, wash well with soap and water. I also have found that using the prep spray for a remover works better than remover itself. You're not left with an oily residue that keeps the barrier from sticking. I've now had 14 surgeries on my stomach with the last one being two years ago. All I can tell anyone who's reading this, look for the bright side of life! I'm probably one of the worst cases ever when it comes to complications but I'm a happy camper because I'm still here. Good luck, John...

Tickpol

Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,318 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi JG,

Thanks for the link. I'm really bad about keeping up with the latest barrier/bag technology and innovations, so I found that interesting. Maybe I'll actually start investigating what's new in these areas since the last time I looked, which was about 4 years ago. Thanks for the nudge!

Regards,

Bob

jghandymann

Coloplast sent me all the latest samples to try. Go on their website and request samples. They have helped me a lot over the years.  

Bill

Hello jghandymann. 

Thank you for bringing this product to our attention and supplying the link. The creasing around the edges of wafers has always been a problem for me, which is why I have made my own baseplates to overcome these problems. Because I irrigate, I rarely use bags anymore, but I will be contacting Coloplast to see if they will change the baseplates on the stomaa plugs to encompass this new technology.

As an aside: I was very impressed with their video on the reasoning and motivation for developing this new design. It's well worth watching!

Best wishes

Bill 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
chesbay

Thanks for sharing. I have a parastomal hernia and just received a sample for this barrier.

Little Red

I have already tried it and sad to say it didn't work for me. It was too heavy and the bag I use is transparent. One piece and I didn't like the way it emptied. I felt the bag itself was flimsy. So I am now back to Hollister and one without tape and use an Adapt ring, and have no problems. I also have a fairly large parastoma hernia. For some, it may be okay. My ET nurse ordered samples for me. I am willing to try anything new.

oneauman

Tried some samples and recently ordered. I have been using for 2 weeks now and agree this is better. The shape fits perfectly over my hernia/fat roll.

lifesaver0602

I'm new to this site, and I too have received samples of the Convex Flip from Coloplast. I opened the package and there are 3 each of the barrier and bags. I used a closed-end bag as I don't want to deal with emptying. That being said, how often is the barrier system supposed to last? At minimum, I change my bag once a day. I don't know how to really give this a try as I only have enough bags to last for 3 days.

Little Red

After trying other Coloplast bags, I found one that works with my stoma and hernia. Hollister was just not sticking. I also tried the flip with no luck, but have now been using Coloplast 10489 which sticks every change. And because of my Parastomal hernia, it is a godsend.