Flange Cleaning Device Ideas

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses various ideas and tips for cleaning ostomy flanges, shared by community members.
Ranger2705

I use disposable bags for my colostomy. I get 5 to 7 days on my flange. My output is pretty thick, so when I change bags, there is a lot of output around the race of the flange and in the crevice under the ring. How do those who use disposables handle this other than wiping out as much with TP? I was thinking of making some kind of device that you could attach to your flange with water running in one side and out the other into the toilet. Maybe some kind of agitator moving water around the flange. Or do they make anything like this?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

Hi, I understand what you mean about cleaning the wafer when you change bags or wafers. I saw here that a guy does this in the shower... he removes the bag... and showers. And if you got a handheld shower head, you can easily clean the area. I didn't believe this but I tried it... and I like it. Of course, he didn't mention about returning the bag to the wafer when he's done... I did. I use this pancake stoma cap after I clean the area in the shower. It works great. Check out stoma caps and you will find it there.

Now, supposing you don't want to do this in the shower? I clean the bag insides with water... of course, this is a two-piece system I use... after exhausting the poop. I take a bottle of room temperature water, pour it in... close it up... swish the bag around... then empty into the toilet... line the toilet with TP... to avoid splashback.

These two options have worked and helped keep the area clean, especially if you're a clean freak like me, when replacing the bag and/or wafer.

It's a small plus in the shower... not worrying about making a mess when it all goes down the drain... just remove the pop it valve in the tub... so everything goes straight down the pipes.

Keep it clean, bro.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Ranger.

It's so good to hear that other people are experimenting with their own ideas for resolving stoma-related problems. I do not have this particular problem because I irrigate and rarely use bags anymore. I woud encourage anyone with a colostomy to explore the option of irrigation as it can change your life in terms of convenience.

Best wishes

Bill

lovely

I have found that putting a little oil on the flange helps it be easier to clean.

Penguins7

Sounds like a great idea. However, my concern would be putting too much liquid (water) around stoma/flange area and creating a leak path.

Penguins7

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
warrior

Which idea are you referring to? You mentioned water, so I think you're considering my shower handheld thing. Don't read too much into using water. You're just using the shower head set on a light stream and going around the surface area of the wafer.. maybe touching the stoma itself to clean that too. I don't believe you need to force water spraying on the area. Just go around it like trimming it. Also, water won't cause a leak. The acid in the stool and poop does that, I am told, by eating away at the barrier o-ring. I have had no issues using what I explained. It's really just spraying water to clean the area. Like a garden hose when washing your car.. not a power washer. Dig? You could also try a handheld bottle sprayer if you're concerned about the pressure of water on the area. This works. I'm just saying. Neat way to clean the area and least expensive.

And besides, I thought penguins liked water? :)