Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

No output of any kind from new colostomy

Posted by keepers51, on Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:12 pm

I had a permanent colostomy 5 days ago. No output whatsoever. Has anyone had this happen and how did you fix it? Dr sent me home with Dulcolax and Myralax but I'm thinking prune juice which is what helped before surgery. Anyone?

Reply by Foximic7, on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:36 am

Hi. I have had 5 surgeries and I did not have any output for 7 or 8 days after each surgery. My colon does not like to be messed with and it  goes to sleep after surgery. It just takes awhile for the colon to wake and get moving again. You should be fine. If you have any more concerns I will be happy to share my experiences with you. Take care.

Reply by Bill, on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:36 am

Hello keepers51. It took a week or so for me to have output after my surgery, (Colostomy) in spite of the laxatives. After that I went to the stoma  nurse and she poked around a bit. She said I had a blockage  and she physically loosened it so that it passed through the stoma. I continued to have problems with hardened stools at the stoma end but, having been shown how to shift them I wasn't too worried. Nowadays, (years later) the output still hardens towards the stoma end and this (I believe) is down to the process of the liquid being absorbed through the colon walls more quickly there.  My own problems have been resolved by irrigation (daily)  However, it is now obvious that the stools are harder nearer to the stoma because the irrigation process expels the output in an order of hard- soft then liquid everyday.

I don't know if my re[ly is of any use to you in your own situation But I thought I would chip in anyway.

PLease note that I found my original solution via the stoma nurse. 

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by xnine, on Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:32 am

Dr keep me in hospital till I had output. I was using Laxaday but do not need it any more.

Reply by ron in mich, on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:48 am

hi all i was told to chew gum and drink fruit juice to wake up my ostomy after i had surgery.  good luck

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:20 pm

I had almost no output for a week after surgery. I too, think this is normal but would keep a close watch on it.

pup

Reply by iMacG5, on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:31 pm

We probably don't think about it but  there's around 5 feet of large intestine for stool to travel before it exited the old way.  Don't know how much of your colon was removed but there'se still a significant distance to travel.  Not sure if it moves that quickly except when the big D attacts.

Mike

Reply by Tickpol , on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:16 pm

You need to understand how the bowel works.  It knows to squeeze because the part before it just did it.  If the surgeon has to man-handle your bowel that's like throwing a rock in a pond.  The ripple goes both ways.  Now throw two rocks in and see how the ripples interact.  Now imagine that's your bowel playing digestion slinky!  I've never had a resection where they tried to give you food within two days and even then ;you can't go hme until you've had a BM. 

I've had surgery in three separate states and that's been the protocol each time.

Dave

Reply by ChrisP, on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am

Ha! I had output within a day of surgery. Too much of it, if you see what I mean....... I would be slightly worried that the longer it waited, the harder it would be to pass.

Hope everything settles down soon - best of luck!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.