Communal Showers

Replies
Views
sportsman

I like to shower after playing golf, but after having a urostomy operation in early September 2009, I cannot see a way of doing so without exposing my bag to everyone. I wear a boxer support to play, which would look a bit silly if I wore this in the shower to keep the bag covered. I had thought that I could change to a waistband in the toilet, which is far less noticeable, and after showering, then change in the toilet once again into my normal briefs/boxers. It all seems a bit long-winded and involved. By the way, I am talking about communal showers. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can simplify the process and hide the bag from public view?

Sportsman

tiger

I wear a waistband during any sport activities/swimming, so I have that in the locker room and showers. Though, lately I've been taking the band off to dry and exposing my bag. I've had mixed reactions from people. Some try not to look, some stare, some ask about it. I've found it's really about my own attitude, how I feel that day - do I want to talk to people about the ostomy (I've got an ileo, 2 years now), and how to best take care of the situation.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sportsman

Many thanks for your comments, Tiger. I also wear a waistband for swimming but find that it rides up, so I find the boxer support more practical and comfortable for golf and bowls. I am coming more to the thought that I should change in the communal dressing room using a towel as if I was on a beach and not worry about being seen. Most of the guys I play with know about the bag anyway.

Sportsman

beatrice

Can I ask what the waistband is like that you use for swimming? Is there a link/photo somewhere?

Many thanks.

nakedinthesunt

I bought some black swimsuit material (that stretches) and just made a band out of it, kinda like a woman's tube top only thinner. We go to a clothing-optional hot springs and that's what I use to cover my bag. It also is a lot nicer for intimacy times too.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
beatrice

Thanks. I'm going to make myself a couple.

sportsman
Hi Beatrice,
Have not been online for a while so missed your question regarding waistbands for swimming. I purchased a couple from a company in the U.K. called COMFIZZ Ltd. They only cost 7 pounds sterling each. They are made of a combination of polyamide, elastane, and cotton so that you have the stretch and support that is required. You may well be able to make them if you can buy the right type of material. If not, try COMFIZZ; they are very helpful. The fact that you live in Canada might increase the overall cost but could still be worthwhile. Best of luck.

Sportsman
lottagelady

Yes, I use those too for more intimate moments.... Covers it all up and holds some of it in .... Even got them off my GP on prescription! xx