Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Fistula

Posted by MikeLE, on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Fistula with a Kock Pouch

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:58 am

Hi Mike,

Is that a question or a statement?  Not sure where you're going with your post.  I did some reading on the Kock Pouch and it's interesting.  I wouldn't be a candidate, but for those who it's suitable for it does have an appeal.  I'm curios to know how you know when to empty it?  And what happens if you don't empty it before it fills up. 

regards,

bob

Last edited by w30bob on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply by Bill, on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 am

Hello Mike. 

According to my dictionary (which I needed to consult to reply to your post) a 'fistula' is: 'an abnormal or artificial passage between an organ and the body surface or between two organs'. It would seem therefore, that they can occur almost anywhere in the body. 

I looked into the Kock pouch before my stoma operation, because it sounded like a good idea at the time. However, my surgeon told me in no uncertain terms that it would not be suitable in my case, So I filed the concept under 'inapplicable for me' and never really thought about it again. However, I would like to know if anyone has had the procedure done and how they got on with it afterwards. 

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by Sueaxe, on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Hiya all,

Bill is almost right with the definition of a fistula but it has to in context to try

and help you with some of our limited first hand knowings. 

Please explain your fistula problem as best you understand it, from/to or to/from.

Your Docs should be your first option to ask.

Tc

s

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.