Flying

Replies
Views
erika

Hi, I've had my stoma for 3 years and I'm going abroad for the first time since my operation. Does the bag fill with air or not? Or does anyone have any tips for me? If not, does anyone want to just tell me about them anyway.

Past Member

Fly, ride, run, cycle, drive, swim, canoe.
If you're fit enough, do it.
Flying is no more of a problem for you than anyone else.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,360 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MrBillYTO
Hey Erika,
I had my colostomy in Oct 06 and was on a plane heading to the Caribbean in Dec 06. Since then, I have been to Europe and back to the Caribbean. Flying is one thing I won't stop doing because of this pouch!
Enjoy your trip!
Past Member

Hi
I flew a year after my ileostomy and I was fine. My stoma nurse just advised I didn't drink fizzy drinks for 24 hours before. I just made sure I didn't eat foods that made my poop runny. I'm going away again in August, can't wait.
So go on your hols and enjoy.

lisam3

I flew with my ostomy and had no problems at all. Except when I went through customs, they checked my supplies, etc. Well, I had a small pair of scissors in the bag and they took them right away. I said I might need the scissors but they said no. So, when you are flying, make sure you don't have any supplies that they will take away from you. I managed OK but will always have my flanges cut ahead of time and make sure that I have enough bags with me. I had to change the flange on the plane but I managed OK. It came loose mid-air. It's a way of life now and we get used to it. Good luck to all those who fly.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I have flown many times with absolutely no problems while flying. I would suggest, however, if it is a long flight that you get an aisle seat so that you don't have to climb over people to get to the bathroom which, as we all know, can happen with a high regularity with an ileostomy.

Past Member
Hello Erika
I don't know whether you've had your trip abroad yet. If you have, I hope it went well.
I agree with everyone who replied to you. I've had my colostomy for 10 years and had a defunctioning 'loop' ileostomy for 4 years before that. I've flown regularly, but not longer than 11 hours and I've never had a problem. The only bit of hassle I had was my first flight to Florida to visit friends after 9/11. I'd forgotten about scissors, and had them in my hand luggage. My hand luggage and supplies were searched (in private) and the scissors put in a box, labelled with my name and checked into the hold. When I told them that I needed access to scissors to cut my bags, they made an arrangement with the cabin crew, so that I had access to theirs if needed. Each time I've flown since, I've pre-cut them.
Just one thing, Virgin Atlantic have often let me sit behind the bulkhead, which gives you loads more leg room and I don't feel scrunched up as can happen in the rest of economy class. If I don't sit there, I take an aisle seat, so that I have ease of access to the loo if necessary.
If you haven't already been, I hope you enjoy your flight.
Best wishes
Richard
erika

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. I had to cancel my holiday because my granddaughter had an ear infection and the doctor wouldn't let her fly. It wasn't meant to be. I went to England instead to Butlins holiday camp and had a great time. The weather was hot. It's like life, one door closes and another always opens. Hope you're okay. Regards, Erika.

Past Member

Hello Erika
I'm sorry to read that you had to cancel your holiday. But pleased that you were able to enjoy yourself still. Yes, it's true about one door opening, isn't it.
I'm well here and hope you are too.
Best wishes
Richard