Major Hair Loss Anyone?

Replies
Views
beatrice

Anyone else experience major hair loss after their ostomy? It's not coming out in clumps ... just losing lots of hair generally in my hand, brush, and after shampooing.

I'm taking vitamins (multi, E, D, C, Omega Oil).

Any insight, info appreciated.

lottagelady

Hi Beatrice, me too.... not sure if as a result of ostomy, fibromyalgia, general trauma or menopause though! Knowing me, it is probably something else to add to my list ..... hey ho...xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE
Hi Beatrice! Well, I've had minor hair loss after each surgery, but it lasted only a week or two. ....Also, I tend to 'shed' more during times of heavy stress... When that happens, I take Biotin!! It definitely helps! Biotin is fantastic for skin and hair and is well known for assisting in hair growth, even prescribed by doctors.

This is something a couple of friends have brought up to me in the past, stating that since they have an ostomy, their hair has thinned.... This is interesting. I know our bodies now need a bit of help to maintain vitamins 'n such, so this is worth looking into a bit more. But Biotin is worth its weight in gold for this problem!
sweetkat

Yes, I have this awesome shampoo. Can't remember, I'll have to check and make sure. I mean, I pull globs and globs of hair out daily, but I can't eat. Along with the ileostomy, I'm sure that has something to do with it. I'll let you know about the shampoo and hopefully it will work for you too.

TexasGirl

Beatrice, your body has gone through some major changes, so it is very possible that the hair loss stems from that. How long ago did you have your surgery?
In your list of vitamins I did not see calcium. We women really need to add extra calcium to our diets. After my chemo, radiation, surgery etc., I was told that I had osteoporosis. I took a prescription for a while but now just taking a supplement in the morning and at night. And as one of the girls said, biotin is great for the hair also. Hope it gets better for you soon.
Take care, Debi

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
groundhog

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the wonderful peeps on this site. It's ironic that whenever I have an 'issue', the answers I need I find here. Firstly, it was information regarding fistula, today it was hair loss. I have been losing hair since September. I had a feeling it had something to do with ostomy/surgery/meds. My suspicions have been confirmed. Thanks to all.

Past Member

I had hair loss after ostomy surgery too, but it grew back, so I think it was due to the surgery and not the ostomy. Cheers, Julie

gutenberg
Hi all, after surgeries I lost a lot of parts but mostly it was the grey matter between the ears, if anyone finds some extra let me know, keep smiling, Ed.
beatrice
Oh Ed - you are so good! I've lost some of that too ... I'm more concerned about the hair - it shows, the other I can fudge

Never heard of Biotin - not even sure what it is, but will look it up in a minute - thanks. Calcium - I'm not taking any extra of that and I should - again thanks.

At first I thought that the hair loss was mostly as a result of the surgery (Dec 15, 09) ... but it was first noticeable a good month post op.

Shampoo - now that you mention, sweetkat, I remember there being a good shampoo for hair loss ... think it starts with an "N" ... that's all I can remember ... no doubt due to that grey matter loss Ed mentioned

Thanks all.
WOUNDED DOE
Would that be nano shampoo?
Past Member

I started losing my hair approximately 3 to 4 months after my surgery (and initial sickness). I was totally freaked out as it seemed so random and I was so healthy by then. However, Dr. Google reassured me that this is quite common after surgery and sure enough, the hair loss is decreasing as each month goes by.

gutenberg
Hi all mane loosers, the only thing I have really noticed was my forehead seemed to be getting longer and longer and now I think I know why. Ed
beatrice

Nioxin was the shampoo I was thinking of.. Bought it and the conditioner.

Gilbert - hope I'll be like you and stop shedding soon - I've always had a thin head of hair but this is scary.

See GP tomorrow for another reason and will bring this up.