Reflections on Being the Wife of an Ostomate

Replies
Views
Tiggy
This will be a very long post, but I thought it might be useful to get some of my innermost thoughts out on paper now that it's been almost a year since my husband's surgery. I hope that for those of you who stick it out to the end, that it offers you some comfort or at the very least, entertains you for a while.

Tyler could have been dying for all we knew. For weeks he had been sandwiched in between elderly people with UTI's, epileptics with conduct disorders, and other cases that no matter how unpleasant, seemed more hopeful than him at the local general hospital. My beautiful, strong man seemed so small and weak in that crumpled and sweat stained gown; eyes that couldn't hide their despair and an I.V poked into his arm with a steady supply of prednisone and synthetic nutrients to the point where the tubing may as well have been an extension of his body, some kind of tubular, rubbery apendage. Even after he'd lost 20 pounds in the first two weeks of his colitis flare up, and even when he couldn't breathe deeply without a wave of cramping agony causing his face to flush and his mouth to tighten into a perfectly straight line - we still didn't realize how serious this all was - no. It was only when his trembling innards failed to respond to the usual treatment that we stopped to consider the gravity of the situation. All the treatments which had usually worked so well in the past were suddenly rendered positively useless; prednisone infusions may as well have been saline solutions, and even a very expensive experimental I.V infusion wasn't doing the job this time around.

The love of my life lay before me getting weaker with each passing day. And from the time I got off work to the time when visiting hours were close to being over, I watched him languish before me; what was once a vibrant and bold creature had been diminished by a near constant loss of blood, and the kind of sorrow that comes hand in hand with hopelessness. At that time I would have done anything - spared no expense and no dignity to have him well again and with me at home. I remember a few sleepless nights where I laid in bed and literally begged God to give me some of his pain, so that he might at least find the strength to see a brighter future.

Surgery wasn't something he entered into lightly, and it sure as hell was NOT a choice. If you put eventual death from toxic megacolon to the left, and put an ileostomy to the right - is that really a choice? Life or death - there is no argument to be had. You choose life because that's what humanity does and indeed, that is what you owe yourself. You side with life as the ultimate tribute to what you were before your colon turned on itself and put this nightmare into motion. At that time among our supporters (bless their hearts), we also had our detractors who found it despicable that I, as his closest confidant, could ever agree with him that surgery was the best option. In the state I was in at the time, their words were like little shards of glass smashing against my internal resolve. How could I "allow" him to be cut open and quite literally turned inside out? Were we sure that all our options had been exhausted? Wasn't there something I could say or do to change his mind? I kept hearing the same tired concepts that sounded so reasonable coming from the mouths of perpetually healthy, intact persons: "Oh, but he's so young!" and of course, "Are you aware of the rate of post operative infection in people who have this kind of abdominal surgery?"

They didn't consider that no one took this more seriously than we did. And even more deplorable, among those who weren't supportive there wasn't a single soul who had spent as much time with him as I did, and thus couldn't even begin to imagine what kind of torture he felt in the dead of the night when the cramps were at their worst, and there wasn't a thing that could be done about it short of the administration of narcotic pain killers - which are notoriously bad for the bowels.

So he had the surgery.

Upon opening him up, it was found that he had the worst kind of ulcerative colitis, pancolitis. His entire colon was diseased and would have to be removed, making him the recipient of a colectomy. I still remember vividly the entire process from my far removed perspective; I spoke to him briefly just before they wheeled him into the operating room, barely able to conceal the shakiness in my voice when I told him I loved him and would be there for him when he woke up. The most intense portion of that day came in the evening, when my father and I made our way to the hospital in order to wait for him to be discharged from the recovery room. What a long four hours that was, where all I could to do keep some semblance of sanity was fiddle with an endless array of word puzzles from one of those drug store activity books, and humor a patient who insisted on talking to me about his many trips to Mexico, and how the medical care is supposedly just so much better south of the border. Good grief, surely this was purgatory. Eventually, this limbo did come to an end when I saw Tyler, in a drug induced state of a blissful stupor, wheeled back to his room to convalece after the trauma of the rather extreme surgical procedure he'd just endured. He was awake but not lucid when I spoke to him briefly, leaning over his bed just to relate the good news, "Tyler, the colitis is gone, the operation was a great success, and I love you."

Recovery wasn't easy.

Between waging war with a rather nasty post operative bout with ileus (I nearly died when I saw that awful nasogastric tube pumping acid out of his stomach) and a somewhat anticipated post operative infection (for a good few weeks Tyler literally had a gully formed around his surgical opening to allow pus to flow free),we were stepping on egg shells for a while. But, by the grace of God or maybe just pure luck, slowly but surely that strong and vibrant human being came back to us. Initially after his return from the clutches of colitis and subsequent operation, the best I could do was keep him comfortably propped up in bed while I spoon fed him the tiniest bits of yogurt and other very soft foods. In the time that he was hospitalized, his stomach had shrank considerably in size, and he was understandably weak in general. But his courage and conviction were steadfast, and with each little walk we took from our bedroom to the living room and back, his muscles rebuilt - and his confidence came shortly thereafter. In the space of two months, Tyler was back at work, and it was around that time that I was finally able to breathe again; just relax and take comfort in the fact that the worst was over.

It's now nearly one year later, and while my love for him hasn't changed, my admiration has seemingly grown in leaps and bounds. People sometimes hint at their curiousity as to how we relate to each other now that Tyler is lacking a colon and must rely on an ileostomy in order to elimate his food waste. The reality is, and people always look at me a little funny when I say this, that I simply and truthfully love him more with his bag. Because of that little unsightly flesh colored parcel hanging off his lower abdomen, I have my best friend and life partner back. It's somewhat comical when one stops to realize that so much love is invested in that ostomy bag; because of it, Tyler is as whole as he ever was, in the sense that while he lost an organ, he gained total and full well being. The fact that he has an ileostomy signifies that Tyler is disease free, meaning that his new lease on life is our new chance to continue enjoying each others company, whether it's during a walk on the beach on some redundant Sunday afternoon, or snuggling under the blankets on a frosty winter night.

If you ask me, as the partner of someone with an ileostomy how I personally feel about his "bag", the only honest answer would be one of gratitude. I am thankful - yes - thankful and utterly appreciative of the fact that he no longer has a colon and must eliminate waste through a bright red stoma in his side. I am relieved and overjoyed at the fact that what was once such a source of strife and torment in his life is no more. How can something that has saved him be something that disgusts me or causes me to shy away in squeamishness? Indeed, were I to feel that way, it would probably indicate some instability or at the very least a sore lack of prioritizing capabilities on my part. No way, you will never hear me complain or pity the fact that my partner now lives his life with an ileostomy. Instead you will hear a comfortable laughter when the stoma lets out excess air, and an incredulous "So what?" when someone has the shortsightedness and sheer audacity to dramatically exclaim, "But you're so young!". I won't apologize or emphatically justify Tyler's "decision" to have his colectomy. Why would I? There's no justification or explanation really needed here, except for maybe the fact that life always finds a way, and if that way is by means of an ileostomy - then so be it; celebrate it, throw a "colon bon voyage" party and tell a few jokes about it.

I am so thankful to have Tyler in my life, and like it or not, a small portion of that gratitude is directed at his ileostomy. Thank you for giving me my partner back, and thank you for giving me this opportunity to keep on exploring with him, being silly with him, laughing with him - and loving him. Always loving him, so much.
WOUNDED DOE

Wow. This brought tears for me. There is so much I could say here in response to your soulful and awesome post...but words are lost right now, guess I'm more emotional than verbal after reading this.

I wish everyone could be this dedicated to a loved one and have this much love for a partner. I know that I am also the sort of woman who is dedicated to the end when it comes to something like this. If I had a love who was going through all this...there is no way in hell I would ever leave his side...never.

..... Never .....

When a loved one is ill or going through such painful, life-changing and scary times, it would be the type of thing that would draw me closer to my love. I would give him the love, the respect, the care, and the security he needs and deserves and would remain only a whisper away from him. I would do everything for my love, and an even stronger bond would keep me close.

Thank you so much for sharing this, Tiggy, and for spending time with us.

~Much, much love to you and everybody in here from your Doe

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TexasGirl

Dear Tiggy,
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I too am at a loss for words, except to say, "My, what a woman you are". Your love for your husband is apparent with each word that you have spoken. He is just as blessed to have you as you are to have him. You have brought health back to his body. I wish you both a love and joy together that grows deeper with each new day.
xoxox, Debi

lottagelady

Wow Tiggy, you've brought another woman to tears - how lovely to know that you both went through the procedure together and came out the other side with more love for each other than ever. Thank you so much for posting your story ....
Rachel xx

Past Member

Well said, Tiggy. It's only a stoma.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
eddie

Tiggy, God bless you both!
Eddie

feeling goog

Reminded me of what I went through 30 years ago....I am now wonderful!!!

My husband stood by my side too, you are a wonderful, devoted wife, and Tyler is sooo lucky to have you. The surgery was the best thing that happened to me...I am able to live a very normal life....

He will do great, and such a great thing not to be sick anymore....bless you both. Feeling good.

Past Member

What a moving and powerful story which brought a tear to my eye and to hear of a love story with a happy ending is most excellent.

Thank you for posting this Tiggy and I wish you and Tyler the best of all things.

xox

Tiggy

Well, no one here is alone because even I got a little bit weepy when I was writing it.

I'm glad that you appreciated our story, because it was surprisingly cathartic to write it!

Cheers and thanks again for reading!

Tiggy

beatrice

What a story! - I can totally relate.

The best to you both. When fate/kismet/god puts the right two people together ... it is magic.

My hubby said he loves me more now too ... hard for me to believe, but I can understand after reading your story.

married

Your thoughts are beautiful. You are a fabulous writer. My wife has said the same things so often and I keep feeling sorry for myself. I realize that I should be thankful to be alive. I had emergency surgery and almost did not make it. God bless you. You have an amazing talent for expressing yourself.

Tiggy

Beatrice - I'm glad that some of my ideas may have opened the way for you to better understand what your husband means when he tells you just how much he loves you and that bag of yours.

Married - Remember, we all go through stages when faced with something this major. It's perfectly normal (and I daresay, even acceptable) for you to go through periods of self-pity and uncertainty. But keep your head up! Remember we all experience this a little differently because we're all different people. Try to be proud of yourself and your absolutely amazing body for being put through such hell and coming out alive regardless!

~Tiggy

Gus

Married, just an observation mate, and please don't hang me for saying this, but sometimes it's okay to feel sorry for yourself because it's very hard and my wife can attest to this, for our partners who don't have our issues to understand exactly how we feel. So when I feel sorry for myself, it's because I am. My wife has said she is never sorry for me having the bag because it's what has allowed her to keep having me around. So mate, on those days you feel sorry for yourself, then do so but also plan not to feel that way the next day. Just wake up, sit on the bed, and tell yourself "if it wasn't for this bag, I might not be here". Hopefully, that will give you strength mate. Or you can lay back down and wallow in self-pity. Choice is yours really.

Tiggy, you are one tough and special lady. My hat goes off to you, and I am very proud of you and your hubby. Keep strong and take care.

gutenberg
Tiggy that was a most beautiful story, I'm at a loss for words, actually not many are needed because I know anybody who reads your post will feel as I do, so I thank you for sharing a love story in the face of such adversity. May your lives only see peace and happiness in the future. Ed
miyzy

What you have folks is true love. When I cried, it wasn't because of the story, it's because of what they have - mates forever. You see, us single people will never have that because to find someone to understand is hard. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm fed up. I don't want this anymore. I want to be normal again. I'm tired of being sad, I'm tired of being hurt by the comments. I'm sorry, I just can't take it anymore. 20 years is too long. I've tried really.

Tiggy

Miyzy;

It made me very sad to hear how unhappy you are with your current situation. Please try to keep the faith always, and know that anyone who doesn't accept you for all of you (including your ostomy) is a total jerk and not even close to being worth your time or attention. I know that doesn't help you feel any less isolated, but it makes me sad to hear that you've given up. I look at your profile and see that you're only 49 years old - too young to be talking like the best of your life is over with.

*Big hugs*

I am sending positive thoughts your way.

WOUNDED DOE
It's not you, dear Miyzy!... It sounds like you've been wading through a pile of losers?    You're beautiful and you're funny, and please try to remember there are some really awesome people out there who will love and adore you.... Besides, who wants a selfish, superficial (did I spell that right?)    loser anyway?    ... Never feel bad if you lose one.        I've been through a few stooges too, but I've decided I'm gonna keep trying  because I'm seeing some really wonderful people in this world. The more I come out of the shadows, the more faith I have.  I want you to feel the same way.
~Hugs from your Doe
Tiggy

I agree with Doe! We have to remember too that there are plenty of people without ostomies who have struggled for most of their lives in order to find that perfect someone with whom to share the rest of their days.

And I can say with 100% certainty that if I'd just met Tyler for the first time a few months ago, his ostomy would not have stopped me from pursuing a relationship with him. Not in the least - because he's a great person and, I might add, extremely attractive to me with or without it.

Anyway, that's just how I feel about it personally.

WOUNDED DOE
I want that so bad.....what you and Tyler have.....I don't know who is luckier, you or Ty.

I can only close my eyes and dream of the day I have someone as dedicated as I would be and to always put each other's needs first and be there for each other......sooooo cool.    To be loved and valued THAT much...wow.        I want a man who will shout it into the winds over everyone's heads that he loves me ....kick the fools and the players into the sea and be held close by the one who really loves me.        You've heard me say this before but your story just reinforces my own focus and needs in my life.        Your relationship with Ty reminds me of a few things so sweet I'm gonna share with you and get soupy for a bit lol ....

Story Time from Doe LOL:    growing up in an Austrian German household, I recall for years listening to old German record albums with my Grandmother and one particular song would make her cry every time she listened to it as the needle skipped across vinyl ...it was the Edelweiss song..... I cannot find the old version of this particular one online anywhere   ( the Edelweiss is a    beautiful white flower that grows highest in the dangerous parts of the European mountains) and when a man wanted to express his true love to his lady, prove his love, and perhaps an offering of marriage or a symbol of his love and promise to cherish her lifelong, he would risk climbing the mountain and disappear into the high altitudes and endure its many dangers and difficulties for days on end in order to pluck one of those noble white flowers and make his careful journey back down the mountain to offer it to his Love...it's an ultimate offering of his love and dedication to her...

....the Edelweiss grows in the utmost highest and most inaccessible places and many men never returned from their journey in their attempt to retrieve this special gift of love ..... Leontopodium is another name for the flower, it means "Lion's Paw" ....at any rate, the song is SO beautiful....I bet some of you know of it   The love you and Tyler have is so inspiring it just reminds me of that song.

....and in our current times  ...    A song by Keb Mo comes to mind called "Tell Everybody I Know" it's my favorite of all his songs, there is a line in that song where he proclaims, "I LOVE my Baby, gonna tell EVERYBODY I know! Other women don't mean a thing to me, ....you could pick them all up and drop them all in the sea..." Now, THAT's my kind of man! LOL    oh yeah....     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHLQNoVRoY

You two stay happy and healthy and full of love...you are very fortunate to have each other!!

~Your Doe
Gus

Hi Doe and Tiggy,

Found this for you both. It's probably the best rendition I personally have heard. It's so natural. I hope you enjoy it, just get past the first part.

http://vimeo.com/4143597

WOUNDED DOE

(Little Doe reaches into her computer, grabs Steve, pulls him through the monitor 'n gives him a big hug)

Thanks big bro! That is so awesome!! This is the traditional Edelweiss song, Gram taught me how to sing it in German when I was a small girl. I remember sitting on the floor at her feet much like the kids in the vid with my long braids and a kitten in my lap singing that song along with her (in the very room in which I'm sitting right now) ....what a memory....now here I sit with my box of Kleenex sniffling with a big stinky dog next to me LOL Thanks for posting that Steve! This brought back more memories than the other song I've been thinking about (which must have a different title but I just can't recall for sure). Wish I had the opportunity to sing that song with Gram one more time...but I lost her back in '97'. I think I will turn up the volume and light a candle for Gram right now ...and play that song again...for her.

~Lotza love from your Doe ....and Gram

Tiggy

OMG - That is such an incredibly sweet story, Doe. And the song too, very, very, very lovely. I had heard of the Edelweiss flower before, but hadn't heard about that old story about what some men would do in order to prove their love to their special someone. That is so incredibly awesome. I actually read your post to Tyler and he was all like "AWE!!!"

For anyone who is curious, here is a very pretty picture of the flower in question:

http://fantaisieimpromptu.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/edelweiss.jpg

It's so simple but nice-looking. I'm a fan!

Bill
Hello Tiggy.

My wife and I have just read this post and found it very moving.

You are such an expressive writer!  Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in this way.

Best wishes

Bill
Donmary11

I admire all of you and agree with you. My story: I was married for 29 years, and in the last 5 years, my husband was diagnosed with PSP (Progressive Supranuclear Palsy)! It is the worst, most debilitating disease next to ALS. I took care of him for the first 2 and 1/2 years with terrible falls - very hard to handle and a big man. Finally, after 6 falls in one day, I called the doctor, and he went to the hospital and then a nursing home. I never left his side from that November to April, 2 or 3 pm till his bedtime. I took him for walks in a wheelchair, to band concerts, etc. He wanted me there, and it was hard to handle if not. I had many issues with the nursing home and a few aides, but they knew I would be there every day. If, then, I FINALLY TOOK A DAY OFF, I WOULD PAY SOMEONE TO SIT WITH HIM. FINALLY, IN DECEMBER 2005, MY PRIEST TOLD ME, "MARY, YOU HAVE TO START TAKING A DAY OR TWO WEEKS OFF." SO I TOLD MY HUSBAND I WAS GOING TO TAKE A DAY WEEK OFF, AND ON JANUARY 16, 2006, HE DIED. HIS LAST DAY AT HOME WAS JANUARY 12TH. I WENT IN AROUND 2 PM BECAUSE IT WAS EXCEPTIONALLY WARM THAT DAY, AND I TOOK HIM FOR A WALK. THEN I GOT HIM IN THE CAR TO FRIENDLY'S, WHERE I ALWAYS WENT IN AND GOT HIM PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM AND FED HIM IN THE CAR. THAT NIGHT, HE WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL, AND I WAS RELIEVED WHEN HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE THE DOCTOR MADE HIM HAVE 24-HOUR CARE. HE COULD NOT ASK FOR HELP OR RING A BELL. THE END OF THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE IS BEING FROZEN IN THE BODY - CAN'T TALK OR SWALLOW, ETC. I WAS WITH HIM ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY EVENING. I HAD A HEADACHE AND TOLD HIM I WAS GOING HOME, AND I KISSED HIM. AT 12:30 AM, THE HOSPITAL CALLED AND TOLD ME HE PASSED AWAY. I SO WANTED TO BE WITH HIM AT THE END, AND I FELT GUILTY FOR YEARS ABOUT A LOT OF "IF ONLYs". MY NEXT STORY IS IN 2008, I MARRIED A MAN I KNEW ALL MY LIFE. HE WAS 80, AND I WAS 74. WE HAD A BLESSED 2 YEARS. THEN, IN JULY 2010, HE HAD AN ILEOSTOMY, AND WE GOT THROUGH THAT. LAST SEPTEMBER, ONE YEAR LATER, HE HAD A MASSIVE HEART ATTACK AND WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 3 MONTHS. HE IS AN AMAZING, WONDERFUL, KIND, LOVING MAN AND A SURVIVOR. NOW, HIS KIDNEYS ARE FAILING AND ONLY WORKING AT 13%, SO WE ARE GOING TO SURGERY TOMORROW TO GET A PORT IN HIS ARM FOR DIALYSIS SOON. I LOVE HIM, AND I FEEL SO GUILTY SOMETIMES WHEN I THINK OF WHAT I JUST WENT THROUGH, AND HE AND I ONLY HAD TWO YEARS WHERE WE COULD DO THINGS. I AM SO SORRY WHEN I GET UPSET, AND HE IS SO KIND AND LOVING THROUGH ALL THIS. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIFFICULT PROBLEMS IN LIFE. I USED TO GO TO WELLSPOUSE, AND THERE ARE A LOT OF CARETAKERS OUT THERE. GOD BLESS US ALL!

Past Member

I don't know how I missed this. Thank you so much for writing it. I only wish I had read it three years ago. Tyler is so lucky to have you and you are so lucky he's alive. I wish you both many, many years of bliss.

Loretta