ConvaTec - Tips For Public Restrooms
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

High protein/ low fiber diet

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,031 Members
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:32 pm

hi all,

Those of you who eat a low fiber high protein diet, could you give me a sample of what you eat on a typical day? I have been irrigating, and have been told to try limiting my fiber to get more time between irrigating. 

Thanks in advance!!

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:26 am

Hi Malakies,

Just curious, how long have you been irrigating and how old/new is your ostomy?  Just from my research, on irrigating, the body takes about 8 weeks to adjust to irrigation as long as you regiment it and perform it at the same time/s everyday.  I have an ileostomy so I'm not sure if this applies, but a typical day, I'll have the following:

Tea and toast for breakfast, crackers and cheese and/or beef or turkey jerky for a snack before or after lunch.

Lunch varies between a PB&J sandwich with potato chips, turkey and lettuce, tacos, bacon cheese burger, a grilled chicken salad, etc..etc..

Dinner is what ever I'm having but usually chicken or fish, the occassional steak, usually with rice instead of a potato and fresh greens or salad.  I also like to snack on cold cuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds or what ever suits me at the time.

I love beans too because of the high protein content but they cause so much gas and seem to be a natural source of fiber.  The same with assorted nuts.  I'm sure you could also try using protein drinks but they taste like crap unless you flavor them up yourself.

I'm not sure if this is helpful but its my 2 cents worth.  Good luck!

Last edited by NJ Bain on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi NJbrain

i started March 9th. Going well so far!  I managed to go 36 hours!! I was excited! Thanks for the response! I just hate the fact that most of the foods I love (fruits and veggies) are not agreeing with me now. Oh well, that is life! I have a colostomy, and I am lucky to be able to irrigate. It gives me a sense of control, which in the past year, I had pretty much no control. I had breast cancer,and as soon as I was done with treatment and surgery, was diagnosed with rectal cancer. (A month after mastectomy).  Basically, in a year and half, I had my life turned upside down! Along with mastectomy, implants, and rectal surgery,I also had a full hysterectomy  and a vaginal reconstruction. (Cancer had involved a portion of the vagina)  I am surprised at myself for handling this in such a positive way. I have a way of forgetting the bad stuff! Smile unfortunately I have this stoma buddy to remind me of what I went through. 

Enjoy your day!

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 pm
Malakies wrote:

hi all,

Those of you who eat a low fiber high protein diet, could you give me a sample of what you eat on a typical day?

because of my recent hernia repair i have been advised to keep my weight down. i use the adkins diet which works well for my situation. it`s mainly meat, cheese and eggs, i do have one small salad almost every evening with supper.  NO breads, grains , starches or sugars. i find that removing breads and grains helps my gas situation as an added benefit. it is suggested that you supplement some vitimans since you cant get them from this diet. in my experience most guys fare well on adkins but most women do not. adkins also keeps my cholestrol down and my triglicerides are  way lower than pre adkins. i also avoid caffiene. high protien foods satisify your hunger well since the calorie count is high, in adkins you dont count calories but rather carbohydrates.. good luck

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:19 am

eggs, cheese, meats, fish, soups, canned fruit, lots of v-8 fusion drinks, white squishy bread but i too limit my carbs.....and of course jack daniels and coca cola works for me.....i have scleroderma and have esophageal motility problems and need lots of water as well

Past Member
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:30 pm

hi

well i eat a lot of eggs-either with or without yokes/can make all sorts of dishes-add some cheese/poached are great(in milk)on rice or toast

i never ate eggs, my wound nurse told me to start-they are like the "perfect food" except if your colesterol(sp) is bad

i eat alot of Chicken breasts/if you get tender ones you can make sandwiches/soup= i make chicken salad often-eat on crackers or??stir frys are easy-add veggies you like, don't think carrots are to fiberous

some cereal like corn flakes-rice cheks

just saw this week on news if you take any type of chemo-stay away from fish/i take a chemo pill right now

pretty boring sometimes-oh well

susan

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Thank you Susan! 

I love eggs and chicken! Today I made a salad with chicken and egg, chopped tomato,conions,olives and mixed greens! And I don't care if this stoma dude goes nuts! I was craving veggies like a pregnant woman!  Hahahaha

take care!

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:29 pm

I have to eat this diet for life as you probaby do, but I work with seasonings for good flavors.   I try to eat potato in some form everyday - sweet or white. I have to eat a lot of butter and gravies as I have several organs compomised (including stomach and pancreas)  Remember to drink lots of water -- I use weak tea and find the warm or hot tea very helpful.  Soda and all carbonation is a disaster.  Green beans, avacado, all meats, are all excellent.  

I make sure I get a large glass of whole milk.  For munchies --  cheese and crackers, cottage cheese, deviled eggs, popcorn that I make myself- no chemicals- lots of peanut butter.

I bake my own baked beans and freeze up small containers and have them with high quality hotdogs.  Lunches are often toasted cheese, ham , corned beef etc on white bread.  I cannot mange the chemiclas so I use a slow cooker and make up a lot at once and use the freezer.  

There is a whole lot you can do with winter squash too --I am now able to have some lettuce and I love tomaotes but have to use sugar for them to digest.  Berrries, bananas, hot chocolate -- eggs of all kinds - quiche are all good.  

I did discover products using baking powder do not set well and I cannot handle pasta except in very tiny amounts.   I love artichokes too - hard to get good ones here but on occasion I indulge.....lobster is fabulous as well as real scallops for digestion - also salmon filets.  I buy good quality and eat well knowing the nutrition is hard to get right.   I  eat smallish meals three times a day and have 3 good snacks to even things out as there is so little stomach left. 

I am not supposed to eat yogurt, uncooked veggies, but I taste things and watch to see what works --- peas and corn are actually okay once you are well healed - I am 2 yrs post surgery and just recently I started getting good results there.  I do not eat any medium or high fiber food.  

My nutritionist  said once I was a year out and well into the healing to forget looking at food limits but try to look at food as a raindow aray and pick carefully the things you know taste good and are safe in your body - (everyone is different and with us it changes a lot so be prepared) -- then try new things and enjoy food so it does not become a burden == I liked the concept and found I started to really get excited about food again.  I cannot eat nuts and olives purely will not digest  but some pickles do - cranberry sauce has turned out to be super and I keep trying combos --- I did end up in the hospial when hot peppers were cooked in a pork recipe at a restaurant -- and the reaction was serious -- I am very very careful to ask questions  now!

I have been forbidden all protein drinks but V8 is really good and sometimes I use it with stews etc.

Hope this helps -- I look forward to finding all types of helps on this site!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.