Leaking Issues Due to Peristomal Hernia

Replies
Views
magpie

This is my first time posting but have often read forums in the past. I am not new to ostomy but new to leaking problems. I had ileostomy surgery in '81 due to UC. I never had any problems until a peristomal hernia occurred, causing leaking and shorter wear time. I use Hollister premium flat one-piece pouch. I stopped using barrier rings, thinking this was part of the reason the pouch was leaking. It seems to occur mostly at night when the stoma tends to retract. It even tends to happen when wearing a hernia belt too. It's hard to pinpoint the problem, so I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. Signed, "new kid on the block" Magpie.

jeaniefrances

Mine leaks mostly at night too, the extra bag I have to attach to at night may pull on it when I turn. My stoma is flush against my stomach, had a revision that made it even worse. Scar tissue holds it down. So I have to use cement around the stoma and on the flange. I use a flange that is slightly raised with rubber around it, and I also use a ring. Not going to take any chances. It still only lasts 3 days, no more. Nothing worse than a wet dream! Ha Jeanie in Georgia

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Hi, not sure if this is the same scenario, but I needed a flange with convexity once I got my hernia to stop all the leaks .. maybe worth a try? Ask for some samples maybe from different manufacturers - they are usually very good on the phone and will try and find you one to suit. Hope that helps a little? Rachel xx

magpie

Thanks so much for the info. I think I will probably go back to using the rings and may also try wearing a pouch with some convexity. I read somewhere that you should avoid convexity products when dealing with a hernia. But guess what? The person who wrote that probably doesn't even have an ostomy, right!

eddie

Hi Magpie, have you tried using convex rings and barriers? I had to use both to pull my stoma out enough that it would stop leaking.
Good luck.
Eddie

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
magpie

Hi Eddie, I think I'm going to call Hollister to get some samples and give those a try. I've always used Hollister and have used flat barrier rings in the past. It's funny because the info sheet that comes with the rings suggests that convexity is not always advisable - for example, with a hernia - but I'm still going to give it a try. Thanks for your input.

Jax

Hey Magpie, have you seen your stomal nurse again for this problem? I would suggest you do because she/he has the proper medical knowledge where the customer care people at the product companies do not. You may need to change products totally and you might never have the problems you are having again.

Jax