Facing My Fears Just Celebrated 1-Year Anniversary!

Replies
Views
facingmyfears
All,

So sorry I've been out of pocket lately. I've been on an emotional roller coaster since Thanksgiving(was in the middle of Folfox chemo treatments).

....but I believe the darkest days are behind me and I'm finally beginning to see relief from this cancer journey.

Spooky..... exactly 1 year ago, to the day, is when my OB/GYN 'discovered' a 'mass' ....during a routine annual exam! The darkest day of my life.

Here we are, a year later, and I just received a clean bill of health from my surgeon. I had my reversal on Feburary 11, 2010, right in the middle of the Mid-Atlantic blizzards! Right before my surgery, I lost power in my home.. from one of the snow storms, so I spent the whole night changing my ileostomy 'pouch' in the dark, with no heat, in the middle of one of the coldest Winters in history. On top of that, my neuropathy side effects (extreme sensitivity to cold) from chemo were at a peak.

My reversal surgery went well YEA! The caviat being that the 'discharge' nurse failed to warn me of the potential issues I would have, after having not used my lower 'organs' for 7 months

Long story short, I was incontinent for 2.5 weeks after surgery! YIKES!! I was horrified and afraid to call the hospital for fear that they would tell me 'oh no, something went wrong....gonna have to give you the bag again!' YIKES again! So I suffered those weeks and finally had my post op visit yesterday with my surgeon. She explained that, because of the location of my tumor(low), the stitching was close to the nerve centers that manage bowel control. Thus, it just takes a little longer for that area to heal and resume normal function. She was extremely confident that I would be just fine(and I trust her implicitly).She was right. Each day shows improvement, I'm pain free, and the 'control' is about 95%. She told be to be patient for the remaining 5%(it WILL come), gave me a hug, and told me to get on with my life.... I feel sooooo blessed! (crying as I write this)

such an emotional visit--she gave me hope where the first surgeon stripped me of all hope(he misdiagnosed my cancer and told me there was no chance of reversal).

And oh, I sent all of my unused ostomy supplies to Hatie!!!! Thanks Sweene!

I'm soooooooo grateful to this website and to all those who open their hearts to heal others! All of you kept me from going insane during my darkest chemo hours.

Thank you!!!!!!! Sharon/facingmyfears
Txgirl

Sharon,
I am so happy for you and many congratulations on your reversal! Are you cancer-free now?
I cringed when I read about your trials of having to change your bag in the cold and the dark! How horrible!!
You are so strong and such a warm, wonderful person, I don't even have words for how happy I am for you!!!!!!! {{hugs}}

Love you, Hannah

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Oh Sharon, bravo! That is wonderful news, truly so pleased for you, (though perhaps you shouldn't have sat there worrying about not healing on your own - I am sure that someone here could have put you right ..... silly girl!)

Loads of hugs from across the pond,

Rachel xx

facingmyfears

Hi Hannah Banana!

Yes, I am cancer-free!    When I had my first surgery, my pathology report was crystal clear (removed tumor + 14 lymph nodes, all negative).    And my blood tests have been normal as well.    So far, so good on the big 'C'

I'm putting this cancer saga behind me... Yea!....going to take my mother to Hawaii for two weeks as a thank you...... she protected me 24/7 for an entire year.    

Love you too, Hannah.    Sending many hugs from Annapolis.
facingmyfears

Hi Rachel!

Guilty as charged!!!!!    You know, sometimes when you're so afraid, you just sink into an abyss that you can't escape from.     Geeze, I guess I should live up to the username facingmyfears!    It's hard sometimes!

Love ya lots, Rachel (from across the (BIG) pond)  

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
junopete

Sharon,

I hadn't seen you post for quite some time. I knew you had a reversal coming up.

I was wondering how it went, now I know. Sounds all good.

In reading your earlier posts, I had the impression you were an emotional wreck, which is very sad.

You have turned the corner.

Always good to hear a positive story.

Thank you for the update.

Rick.....

lottagelady
Hi Rachel!

Guilty as charged!!!!! You know, sometimes when you're so afraid, you just sink into an abyss that you can't escape from. Geeze, I guess I should live up to the username facingmyfears! It's hard sometimes!

Love ya lots, Rachel (from across the (BIG) pond) [/quote]

I know exactly what you mean ... when I am feeling low or unwell I also tend to withdraw somewhat - it is almost as though you don't feel able to give support to someone else when you yourself are there in those depths, and I also seem to lose my sense of humour....

May I add here though that there are some very observant people on this site who have spotted my little disappearances and have contacted me to check on me! Many thanks boys (how strange is that - it is the men that notice!), I am very grateful - you know who you are! Hugs xxxxx
WOUNDED DOE

Sharon!! I feel so terrible about all the horrible things you've had to endure.... and now I am so happy that things are looking up for you!! So great to have you back!!!!!

~Hugs from your Doe!

facingmyfears

Thanks, Rick!!!!!  Hope you're well and happy.    Yeah, I was an emotional wreck, alright.  Do you want to hear something weird?  My mind has completely blocked out what it felt like to have an ileostomy/stoma! I had a friend who had a successful reversal 10 years ago, and I met her 6 years ago.  During our entire friendship, I never knew she had had a colostomy in her past...and we were very close friends!  She told me that when she had her reversal, she never looked back.  That stuck with me.  She also said 'I'm definitely not ashamed of my experience with ostomy by any means, I just don't want my future to be defined/shaped  by this dark period....and I don't want to brand myself'.  Interesting.....
facingmyfears

Well, hello Wounded Doe! Thank you for the sweet note! Yeah, it's good to be back....you all have been angels to me during this journey. Many hugs and kisses to my 'Doe'. By the way, I love your profile name...it goes directly to the heart!
beatrice

Sharon, I'm so happy things have worked out so well for you! Enjoy your vacation and keep in touch with us too.

Hugs from Beatrice

facingmyfears

Thanks Beatrice!!!!!!  Oh man, I'm soooo excited about vacation....I could just SCREAM!!!!    

Hugs and warm thoughts coming to you ...and that cool puppy you have in your profile pic!
Past Member
Dearest Sharon,

Most excellent news, after all you have been through, to hear you are on the road to recovery.

Hope you have a great time in Hawaii, mmmm sun, sand and surf and a few cocktails by the pool sounds mighty fine to me! Enjoy!

Best wishes and hugs, Jo x
Txgirl

Sharon,
Hawaii will be a blast! My oldest son is stationed there, he is a Marine. I hope you don't get into mischief like he has!! LOL
Have a great time and look forward, never back.

Love you, Hannah

gutenberg
Sharon its nice to see you back, we missed you so much so take especially good care of yourself, nobody knows more than yourself what you have endured , all my best Ed
facingmyfears
Dearest Sharon,

Most excellent news, after all you have been through, to hear you are on the road to recovery.

Hope you have a great time in Hawaii, mmmm sun, sand and surf and a few cocktails by the pool sounds mighty fine to me! Enjoy!

Best wishes and hugs, Jo x

Hi Jo!!!! You bet, cocktails by the pool are a must. Cheers!
facingmyfears

Hi Ed!!!!    It's good to be back.   I missed you guys!
Gus

Hey FMF, sorry I haven't posted but I was kinda laid up. I'm glad things are going okay now and hope to see you more on the forums. Big hugs to you, I missed you while you were away.