Little bit of advice needed

Replies
Views
tine

Hi everyone.
Having really bad problems with bag leakages both day and night time.
A bit of what's been going on:
I've lost 54 lbs in weight since Christmas. Great, I hear you all say, but I'm afraid not. Stoma has sunk. When I stand or sit, you cannot see my stoma at all. I have tried at least 10 different bags and seals to no avail. The consultant has stated that he doesn't want to re-fashion my stoma due to me stating I'm wanting to lose some more weight. He says we will only be in the same position 6 months down the line! I have got urine sat in a "well" around my stoma.
I'm trying to get on with my life, but it's soooooo hard at the minute.
Any advice of where I can go now?
Hugs,
Tine
xx

eddie

Tine, have you tried convex rings as well as convex barriers? My stoma was inverted. I have to use both to pull it out so my ileo doesn't leak.
Luck!
Eddie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Oh, poor you, that's horrible, but we have most of us been there! I think that probably convexity is the way forward but have you had the stoma nurses around recently? They may be able to help?

Other things like using the rings, drying with a hairdryer, getting something that helps with the stickiness like Comfeel sachets - sorry that is all I can think of at the moment - good luck xxx

weewee

I tend to leak a lot, but I use Hollister Med Adhesive stock number 7730 that works well for me. You spray the glue on the wafer and wait a couple of minutes for the glue to get sticky. You can also put two layers on the wafer; it helps out more. I also use Hollister wax rings 7806. Those are the 4" rings, and I have the 2" ones as well.

tine

Hi all, thanks for the advice as I'm a "newbie", thought it was easier if I told you what I've got;
Covatec- pouch-405448, convex skin barrier-409268
Sensura-click pouch-11841, Sensura-click xpro base plate-11015
Hollister-pouch-1452, Hollister-barrier rings-79520
Just seem to be going round in circles with stoma nurse at the minute. The above are all new that were given to me on Friday, each one has leaked
Hugs
Tine
xx

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lisam3

I am very interested as to why you lost the weight. Not sure what kind of ostomy you have but I have an ileostomy. I went from 120 pounds to 91 pounds and the doctors say that I just do not absorb the food. They tested me for cancer and everything else you could think of. I am sorry that you are having problems with leakage. Once in awhile I have a leakage. I would like to know more about you and your ostomy. Maybe I can learn something from it. My thoughts are with you and wish you all the best. Lisa

Belinda

Convex for me too, and I also have a "moat" around my stoma. Lisa - hi. Good to see you. Belinda.

j-pouchman

One thing I didn't see you mention is an ostomy belt? Convex appliances, Ekin Seals, skin barriers - a belt should work. Is this happening mostly when you sleep? If so, try to put a pillow between your legs, lay on your side, and your pouch should be free and not crushed. Just some thoughts....
Jeff

Lin

You don't say if you tried a convex wafer, my weight is at my stomach and I have a colostomy. Sometimes when I stand, my stoma is almost inverted and I find a two-piece convex wafer works great.
Hope this helps.

Celeste
Hello Tine,
I've had my ileostomy for going on my 7th year now, I believe... My how time has flown. I went from using 1-piece pouches to 2-piece pouches. I use ConveTec Sur-Fit Stomahesive Wafers #125263, the large bags #413169, and small bags for swimming and such #401530. I also use Stomahesive powder. I've learned that I cannot wear my jeans as tight as I like to because that puts pressure on the output hole of the stoma. I still test it from time to time (really because I feel like my jeans will get looser as the day wears on... but, NOT).
I know that it is mind-boggling... leaks and blow-outs, I've had many of them... but, it is a lot better than the poop in the britches or running to find the bathrooms...
It's good to have a place like this where we can get others' ideas.
Celeste