My hubby has come home

In this discussion
Replies
Views
spouse_of_one
My hubby has recently come home with what he is told is a temporary
colostomy. I am the one that changes the bag and usually empties it for him (he has cerebral palsy). I have no problems with doing any of this; I am just happy he is alive.
My problem that stems from him is his mental and emotional condition. I know it has only been a week and I should give it some time. Unfortunately, with his existing condition not allowing him to take care of things himself and with the scar of the first surgery, he is taking it as a serious blow to his ego.
My personal problem with all of this is that I am afraid to hurt him more, cause other injuries to the site, and when I have to change the appliance as a whole, I feel that if I am not perfect in doing this, he could die. (I have already been told this is not a possibility) but I still worry.

Any ideas on any of this? Thanks!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

May I say that your post touched me. You sound like a very brave, loving woman. It must be tough, even though I have no idea what it's like to be in your position, but please don't be so hard on yourself. You sound as though you are caring for your husband in the manner you were trained to do and doing it to the very best of your ability. No one can ask any more of you.

I've had a colostomy for 10 years and a loop ileostomy for 4 years before that, and I've found that you can't harm the stoma site by changing appliances.

If you'd like to chat sometime, just let me know.

Take care,

Richard

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tarababy

I'd like to add that you are an amazing person with a heart as big as the moon. And I wish you all the luck in the world with your situation. I know how hard this was on my own... and can only imagine what you are going through. Just remember this won't be like this forever... things will get better for you and your husband. The love you guys have will win through... Stay strong and when you need to vent just come on here and let it out... The beginning of this new life is never easy for anyone.... But always remember ....... IT WILL GET EASIER... Take care and the best of luck to you both...