Phlebitis

In this discussion
Replies
Views
budd002
So on my last holiday to the local hospital, I had an IV put in my left arm right at the bend of my elbow slightly to the right side. After a few days, it was starting to irritate me so they moved it to my right arm. Everything is fine, but now 2 weeks after getting home, the IV site on my left arm where they put the IV in at my elbow has swollen up and is so tender.

I went to the doctor, he took one look at it and said "Oh, that's just "Phlebitis " WTF? Ok, so I googled it and it mentions it in legs but nothing in arms then goes on to talk about blood clots...great!!! Has anyone else had this and what did you do about it? My doctor didn't seem too concerned about it. He said if it gets bigger or hurts more, go see him again.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Hiya - 'phleb' meaning vein, 'itis' meaning inflammation of .... just keep an eye on it, shouldn't be too much of a problem, just due to vein trauma I would think xxxx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
budd002

The soreness is getting less and less, but it's still puffed out. Man, is this how junkies feel? Good thing I'm not, lol.

eddie

Try moistening your head 4 or 5 times a day.
Eddie

Past Member
Hi Budd

I am assuming you are talking about a portacath. Which is short for portocatheter.
Horrible thing to have. I had one embedded in my chest while getting chemo and it sent me into arrhythmia because the procedure was not done properly. These things are designed to make the nurse's job easier instead of looking for a vein. They need constant upkeep and can get infected rather easily. Please be careful. As far as the phlebitis Mom had it in the legs may she rest in peace.

Bobby

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
WOUNDED DOE
That is a new word for me....can't pronounce it...heck, for a dyslexic like myself (yes, I really do have dyslexia, I'm not poking fun of people who do) each time I look at the word I see the letters in a different order lol ...gosh, don't ever ask me to spell it or see if I can get it to roll off my tongue lmao. That word is really messing with me .....anyhoo.......years ago when I was on TPN and they took the line out, I had this big poofed out bruised swollen thing where the line was in and when I saw it I freaked out and thought, 'holy bat's wings! ..what the heck? ..holy mother of mercy wtf wtf!!??" It hurt like heck and I would actually press on it with my fingers and swear I could hear what sounded like watery air bubbles under my skin!!

I didn't like that.
Whoa
Nurse
Hi
Sorry, this happened. Phlebitis can be painful. I agree with Eddie's suggestion of moist warm compresses several times a day. If it doesn't improve in a couple of weeks, I would go back to the doctor. If it becomes more painful, red, or swollen, I would go back to the doctor.

The phlebitis can be caused by catheter irritation and/or leakage out of the vein and into the tissues of whatever fluids or medications they gave you. Some medications and fluids can be especially irritating.

Hope you feel better!
budd002

Well, it seems to have diminished and I'm no longer in pain. However, I am getting some really strange foot cramps at night. My left foot mostly. It bends into a pointed toe position and my big toe bends down even more. I swear I'm a freak of nature!!! LOL

rsmith4306

I talked to my dog about it and he says, "Yeah, they do!" (Fleas bite us). Seriously, it sounds like you're on the way to recovery. I have a good friend who suffered the same symptoms, she was really worried just like you. Within a couple of weeks, the pain and swelling had gone. I don't recall if she suffered from any cramping...