I think I'm on the mend but

Replies
Views
Gus

Early this morning I rolled over in bed and crushed my sore knacker against the mattress, holy snappin duckshit that woke me up real quick. So I am now bombed out on oxycontin and endone plus panadeine. Pain is easing somewhat but I'm feeling that nice little trip coming on.
Anyway, my employer rang me yesterday asking how I was. I told them where I was at and that 2 - 3 weeks before I could really get back to work. They were quite okay with it. I find that amazing in this day and age where an employer actually cares about an employee. Anyway, I told them I had some reports I needed to take in for some shifts I had done and they told me that's fine, we'll sit and have a coffee, not bad ay.

Next month is gonna be a busy month with doctors. Urologist, cardiologist, endocrinologist, and my gastro bloke. I am just concerned about my stoma, seems since I have been suffering these last 2 and a bit weeks that my coughing has prolapsed it about another 2 cm. So now it curves downward and sticks out about 3 cm so in total it's about 6 cm long. Well, let's see if we can get another opinion from a different surgeon. I don't think I can wait for my surgery any more than necessary.

Upside to all this, I'm slowly on the mend and even though in pain I do feel better in myself.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and encouragement. We have a great bunch of folks here. Hugs to all, (manly hugs for the blokes,) luv yas.

beatrice

So glad to hear you are feeling a bit better - sure sounds like a lot of pain though.

And yes - kudos to your boss/work. Sounds like they realize they have a good guy and would like to keep him.

Had a random thought the other day ... aren't we lucky to live in the time of pain medications. Sure they can be abused and some have not so nice side effects ... but where would we be without them.

Hugs (not manly) to you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tine

So glad you're feeling a little better, still worry about you though.
Big hug and squeeze (not too tight, don't want to hurt you).
Tine
XX

gutenberg
Wishing you well my friend, its a good thing you have the evidence or the doctors would think you're NUTS, LOL Ed
Hope you feel well enough to have a chuckle.
Gus

Well, I've gone downhill since this morning. Can't stop sweating, feeling cold all the time, the pain is unbearable, and the pain meds don't touch it. Guess I'll have to keep suffering till it's all healed up.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lottagelady

Gus, if it's still getting worse and the pain meds aren't touching it, time to go back and have it reviewed - maybe the antibiotic ain't right?

There should be no need for you to be in that sort of pain in this day and age, mate.

Please go back and have it looked at?

Your very concerned Rachey xxxxx

gutenberg
Hi Gus, so sorry to hear you are feeling so miserable. I just reread your profile to be sure if you had an ileostomy, and sure enough as I've had similar trouble with spinal pain and the meds I was given were slow release and did not work period, it took a while but I finally convinced my doctor of that and he started giving me instant release tablets and that worked a hundred times better, cause with an ileo everything goes through you so fast there is no time for them to work before they're in the bag. Best wishes my friend, Ed
beatrice

Agree with Ed. Sometimes the docs have to be 'reminded' that things are going through us Ileos faster. My migraine pain meds by mouth aren't doing what they did before.

Rach is right - you shouldn't be in pain like that. We wouldn't allow our pets to be in that kind of pain ... come on docs!!

Pain control by injection might be the only way .... ?

Past Member

Hey Gus

Sorry you are in so much pain. Ask your doctor if you can take hydromorphone, it's a morphine derivative. It did wonders for me while I was going through cancer. Feel better, buddy.

beatrice

Me again. I took that drug too and it does work really well if you keep on top of the pain. Don't be too brave and think "I can go without my next dose."

Not to change the topic ... kind of on topic - pain.

How many people fear acute agonizing pain almost more (or more) than death?

With my op and other acute pain I've had ... I realize that it can reduce me to jelly really fast. Yet, when things got dicey at the hospital, I knew that I wasn't really fearful of death (knew that about myself before but that confirmed it). But pain - I don't want it.

Shall I start another thread on this?

Past Member

When I was coming round after my first ileostomy, I was in so much pain. I wanted to die so the pain would stop. I couldn't even scream. They knew I was in pain, so they sent for an acute pain nurse. Now I am terrified of having surgery. I blame the anesthetist; he was there, he should have stopped the pain. Whenever I have surgery now, everyone has to swear they won't let me wake up in pain. I have had about 15 surgeries since then, and so far it hasn't happened again.