Lucky in Up

In this discussion
Replies
Views
erika

We are lucky here in England as we get all ostomy supplies free on the National Health Service, nothing to pay at all. I get my bags once a month (60), wipes, and disposable bags for my bags, deodorant spray, etc.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tarababy

Hey Erika...here in Australia we don't pay for supplies either...all we pay for is postage. And get a lovely magazine every 3 months. Well in Queensland anyway, but pretty sure it goes all the way through. Governments should do it everywhere.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Here in the U.S., we don't have a national health program, so we have to rely on private health insurance or pay cash (like I do) for our supplies. Too bad for us, as you all know, supplies are very costly.
We do have Medicaid, but not everyone is eligible (only low income or disabled qualify), and I'm not sure they would even pay for ostomy supplies. This is an ongoing issue in the U.S., and I don't see any resolution in the near future. It's a sad dilemma as many people are left without adequate medical care or supplies because they may not qualify for Medicaid but also don't have health insurance because their employer doesn't offer it or the premiums are too expensive. Maybe one day this country will wake up and things will change.