Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Diet without a colon

Posted by shl3610, on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 am
Hello, haven't been on here for awhile, so I will fill you in on what has been going on with me.  Since my diagnosis of cohrones and UC in 07, I have had several surgeries, colonoscopies, sigmoidoscomies, and medication adjustments and it got to the point where everything was affecting my job performance.  I had to resign from my job of 20 years.  On top of everything, I just had surgery done to remove my rectum, colon, and part of my large intestines.  With that in mind, I know that my diet needs to be a certain way.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me.  It would be greatly appreciated.
Reply by bettym, on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 am
HI
    I HAD MY RECTRUM REMOVED MY COLON AND ALL MY LARGE BOWEL I FOUND I COULD EAT ANYTHING BEFORE BUT NOW I ONLY EAT LITTLE AND OFTEN I DONT HAVE A CERTAIN DIET I TRY EVERYTHING AND IF IT GIVES ME WIND OR MY STOMA OVER ACTIVE I DONT EAT IT AGAIN ITS JUST TRIAL AND ERROR SO HOPE YOU TRY EVERYTHING YOU LOVE TO EAT AND JUST SEE HOW IT GOES FROM THERE WE CAN ONLY TRY
XXX
Reply by Rhian, on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:01 pm
Hi, I lost my descending colon through Crohn's around 18months ago, my diet has to be low fibre, which means I cut out most fruit and veg, as well as anything 'bulky', it may be trial and error, as some people can tolerate things others can't, I'm also lactose intolerant. It's awful you had to quit your job through your illness, I'm hoping you find things that fill your time that reduce your stress level, as stress can make the symptoms worse
Reply by beatrice, on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:31 pm
Hi Rhian! There are a couple of other threads about food: "Foods I miss" , "Things that go down good" and others ... have a look, if you haven't already.

Didn't your doc, hosp, give you some literature?

2 main 'rules' are to eat small portions and to chew well ... till you've got mush in your mouth. Don't let yourself get ravenous -- keep something in your stomach. I carry some water crackers that I chew to mush if my tummy starts to growl.

Absolutely no nuts, popcorn, mushroom, onions (some tolerate them, but those people are in the minority).

Some do bananas well ... they're just ok for me ... feel very heavy. Canned mandarine slices and canned peaches do best (on top of low fat cottage cheese - yum)

Watch the vegies ... I can only take well cooked carrots, broccoli and cauliflower (last 2 give gas big time tho). The days of nice big raw salads or crispy stir frys are over.

Meat - small well cooked portions (business card size) chewed well.

I don't do spices well. No fizzy drinks . One serving of low fat milk (in a latte) is fine.

White bread, pasta, rice are my friends. If I feel cloggy ... a meal of soup (tomato or potato with crackers are my favs) or a cup of coffee seems to get it all going again.

Don't know if this happens with others ... but if my digestion isn't doing well, I find I have a slight headache and am 'twitchy' - just not feeling right.

This is what is working for me ... hope it gives you some ideas.

You can look up "low residue diet" on google -- good info there.

Beatrice
p.s. I hear you about work/illness and stress. I worked through 25yr of ulcerative colitis and then left a great job at 40 because of it. 15 years later, here I am with an ileostomy. I have so many interests that I'm loving this non-working life. Almost each day I think "I'm so lucky not to have to work - many don't have the option of quitting".
Reply by Rhian, on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:18 pm
Hi Beatrice, thanks for the info and the threads, I'll look into it. No, I wasn't given that much info by the hospital once I was discharged, though I have found that I'm no more tolerant of foods than when I was in a major flare up. I do have anorexic tendencies, which is made worse by depression, that is long term, since I was a teenager... I started my current job two years ago, and I was so happy in myself that I started to eat healthily, but a few months later I was seriously ill with Crohn's, and my diet has been on a downward spiral since then. My husband does not help matters when I know he likes curry, and he knows I can't eat it, but as we go out once a week for a meal, (the only proper meal I eat a week) and most of the time he pleases me by going to places where the food is ok for my tummy, but I am made to feel guilty about 'being selfish', so I feel obliged to go for a curry occasionally, and end up ill not long after for days on end. He tries the same 'guilt trip' with steak... last time I had it over a year ago I ended up in hospital when it stayed blocked in my bowel for three weeks... so I dig my heels in on that! I try to keep my weight down by only eating a small snack at teatime, but I feel weak and lacking in energy, I am going to try to take a cracker in to work when I go back after Easter. I'm scared of getting fat, even though I'm size 10, the tinned peaches are nice and palatable, so may give them a go again too! thanks again Beatrice, Rhian
Reply by lottagelady, on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:02 am
Rhian ... I am not a full member so cannot message you, but would love to talk to you - if you can message me I can reply......? Either that or have a look at my profile....
Rach xx
Reply by Rhian, on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 am
Hi, I am not a full member either, but would be good to be in touch, Rhian xx
Reply by TimboTim, on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:13 pm
Hey

What I find that suits me is potato's and bread. And I do advice you to drink lots of fluids.
Just experiment and be creative, your diet doesn't need to be bland because you've got an olostomy.

Tim
Reply by junopete, on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 pm
shl3610

It took me forever to figure out  why most doctors or anyone in the "know" does not say much about the foods we may eat.

It is simply because they don't know.  We all react differently to foods.  Not only that, as our body try's to do what it can to try and compensate for the different surgery's.  How it tolerates foods also changes with time.

Many things that are supposed to be "bad" for me in fact are not.  I do fine with apples and nuts. It blows my doctors mind.  I don't do Veggies at all, popcorn is out.  Peanut butter is in.
Oatmeal the first year was out, now it is in!

The only three hard and fast rules are.
Drink lots of water.
You can't over chew your food.  I think that is why I get away with eating nuts
Small bites, no gulping!
I guess that's 4.

The rest is all up to you.  I can't stress enough chewing your food until it is liquid.
Chewing your food well takes a lot of strain off the digestive system.

Rick.....
Reply by beatrice, on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 pm
Rick - you are so right about the water/liquids and chewing! Many of my 'ok' foods react badly if I don't chew till very watery ... case in point, tonight and spaghetti. Had let myself get too hungry and demolished my dinner too fast. Now I'm feeling off and very gassy.

So everyone -- Chew!

The eating nuts blows my mind too - don't know how you manage.
Reply by Shitbag, on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 am
I have lived without a colon & anus for 18 years now, and I eat every thing except Brussels sprouts & Liver.
Reply by beatrice, on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 pm
Hey Shitbag!

If I may say so, from your photo you look like one tough old bird (big compliment in my books).  And if you are eating everything except Brussels and Liver -- that proves it! Was it ok for you right from the beginning, or did you start out with things not processing completely but kept at it? Maybe give us some hope ?

I guess every digestive system is different, but if I eat something not easily digestible, it is very uncomfortable, takes a long time to void and actually 'hurts' somehow. Plus I'm scared sh*tless of having another blockage.

All the best and have a salad for me!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:36 pm
It is often not what you eat, but the quantity. I have always had trouble with the bulky, hard foods such as nuts and raw vegetables, but can get away with just small amounts. Yes, as said by many others, water, water and more water. We are rather prone to dehydration which can lead to among other things kidney stones and you don't want to go there.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Hey I think you got it, I was never put on any diet after the Colostomy but I did read all the books.  I scared myself and after my third trip back to the Doctor he said you can eat anything you want it wont bother you.  I do eat anything including popcorn, peanuts, salads with tons of blue cheese and any vegie I want.  I dont have to get up at night and change my bag or have a alarm like some have said, I dont have leaks and then I think is something wrong with me, I read all this stuff you all are having and I am not.  I'm am grateful I can eat what I want cause I love the crud out of boiled peanuts.  Plus I snack on popcorn and I would never go to the movies if I had to smell it and couldnt buy it.  I have never had a sick day like you guys talk about, I hope I am ok, I feel good.  Well thanks for sharing the info as I am just trying to figure it all out. Jenny
Reply by beatrice, on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:13 pm
Hi dear Jenny!

Ok you are blowing my mind here . Not only do you eat whatever you like, but you also don't have to set an alarm for the night??? With my ileo, I have to empty every 3 hours at the max.

Do you get up at night to empty at all?

I know we're all different ... but boy, would I love a crispy salad about now! Glad you are one of the lucky ones, diet-wise.

All the best.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.