Any BCIR people out here? Want opinions as friend wants one

In this discussion
Replies
Views
beyondpar

For those possibly not familiar, the BCIR is the Barnett Continent Intestinal Reservoir (BCIR). It's an internal pouch if you will, of which you have control over elimination. I'm trying to help a friend make a determination as she has been an external Ileostomate for 15 years and wants to try it. My advice is always ask those that have it and you will then get the truth. So I'm asking. Any BCIR peeps out here?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

janice

I've inquired about it, but unfortunately, I don't have enough small bowel to perform the procedure.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
littlenurse

I just recently had the BCIR procedure done. My surgery date was March 17th, 2010. I had an ileostomy for almost 13 years prior to getting the BCIR. (I was 17 when I got the ileostomy).
So far, I am loving it! No external appliance is great! I am on a restricted diet for the first 3 months, then can start gradually adding things back into my diet at that time. I will be going back to work in 2 weeks. I am feeling great!
Not everyone is a candidate, and it does require a hospital stay of 21 days post-op. The beginning is rough (but all surgeries are). Pain is controlled with a self-controlled pain pump, and it got easier as the days went on.
I got mine done at Palms of Pasadena in Florida by Dr. Rehnke, and could not have asked for a better experience. Every person on the floor was excellent; they were all very knowledgeable, nice, and professional.
If you have any other questions, just ask!

beyondpar

I checked your profile and there was none? Is there any way my friend might be able to reach out to you to either see what you had done or to ask more questions live.............We live close so maybe even a meeting if she were to go through with surgery so she might be able to get a first-hand opinion...........I too am an ILEO so we are all on the same journey...........Michael

littlenurse

I just put some information on my profile. I didn't add very much last night because I was just trying to respond to your post and had to create an account.
I would be happy to answer any questions that you or your friend might have, but I don't know how you would contact me considering we can't post email addresses or Facebook information.

-Leann

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister