Ostomy Skin Bonding Adhesive

In this discussion
Replies
Views
smuto
Hello

I am using Talbot skin bonding glue for extra bonding power for my wafer.
But I cannot use the entire content of the can because almost half of the glue in a can gets dry and useless in a few weeks.
Do you know any good skin bonding adhesive?

One ET nurse told me that good cement or glue ice hockey players use.
So I went to a sports shop and looked around the ice hockey section but I could find nothing like adhesive or cement.

The reason I use adhesive is my stoma is a bit closer to the belly button and the wafer does not have good contact and causes leakage.
I must change the wafer within two days if I don't use bond.

If anybody is having a similar problem, please send me any advice.

Thank you
smuto
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rhian

Hi, even though mine is not near my belly button, I can sympathize, as I've had my fair share of leaks and blistering skin, frequent bag changes, etc. I use a barrier spray (Cavilon) but it doubles up as adding extra sticking power to my wafer, not sure if you can get that in Canada, I'd certainly ask the advice of your stoma nurse though. Some wafers are different shapes that mold better to the skin too, I used to use a one-piece, but now use a two-piece, and have so much more comfort and dryness.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Whoa
Nurse

IH Smuto

A couple of other companies that make skin cement: Smith and Nephew Skin Bond Cement and Nu Hope Labs make a cement. I am more familiar with the Skin Bond and it seems to keep pretty well. I would think you could get it in Canada.

smuto
Dear Rhian and Whoa,

Thank you for responding to my posting.
A few years ago, my ET nurse gave me a sample bottle of Cavilon and I tried it.
But Talbot was better suited to my problem.
Now I am having a problem with a hernia.
I used to wear Convatec Sur-Fit Natura because of the soft tape around the wafer, but since I have a hernia,
the wafer is too thick and hard to make good contact with the bump.
So I have changed to Coloplast Asura one piece because I thought the wafer is thinner and would follow the shape of the bump better.
But I can't see a big improvement.
So I must find the best adhesive.
I haven't tried Smith & Nephew or Nu Hope yet, so I must call them if they are selling here in Canada.
I thank you very much for your advice.
smuto
Mollyam

Hello Rhian
Best wishes from another viewer from the Colchester area with a colostomy. I am a bit older in years but have only had the ostomy since June 09. I have been successfully irrigating after receiving good advice from C3life members.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Rhian

Hello Mollyam! Thanks for getting in touch! I did ask my stoma nurse about irrigation, as it looks a lot more delightful than the constant bag emptying, but apparently I can't as my Crohn's is unpredictable, and I'd end up with messy leaks... bummer eh!!! Take care x

kennewickwoman

I have patients. I have tried Mastisol by Ferndale Laboratories with good results. Some like the individual glass liquid (you break the glass inside) and others like the spray. Either way - have good results. There is also a company called King Ostomy that you can contact, and they will send you information on how to make a mold of your stoma and surrounding area, and will make a custom reusable barrier. Mr. King was a gentleman who just did not like any of the products and formed this company. Hope that helps. Debbie