Nancy Lamott: A Musical Inspiration for Ostomates

Replies
Views
PJT
Back in the dark ages when I got my ileostomy (1978 to be exact), we were pretty much on our own trying to figure things out. This was way before the internet and way before MeetanoOstomate.com. It was after electricity and indoor plumbing, however, just in case you were wondering. Luckily, we did have a small group that met in Manhattan a few times a year, and it reminded us that we were not alone. Sometimes there would be a guest speaker, and other times we would just chat among ourselves, exchanging ideas and advice.

Being in my mid-twenties at the time, I was one of the younger members of the group, so I didn't really have anyone to talk to who had the same concerns and issues as I did. Then one day, I decided to go to one of the meetings at the last minute, and I'm happy I did. At the meeting was a very pretty blonde girl who had just recently had her ileostomy. Being close in age, we gravitated towards each other and started to chat and compare notes. She was so happy to have finally had the surgery and said she hadn't felt so good in years. She was also a singer and was now able to get her musical career back on track. Her name was Nancy Lamott.

I promised to see her perform one day, but unfortunately, I never got around to it. I would read about Nancy in the newspapers, and I was happy to hear how well she was doing, singing at the Algonquin and Tavern on the Green. Sadly, the last news I heard about Nancy was that she passed away in 1995 at age 44.

She was somewhat of an inspiration to me and reminded me that an ostomy should never hold you back from anything you want to do. I still listen to her CDs to this day and continue to enjoy her beautiful voice. I would recommend her music to anyone who loves a real vocalist who doesn't need smoke, background dancers, and a laser light show to sing a song. A piano, bass, and drums will be fine, thank you.

I just wanted to share this story and perhaps introduce you to a wonderful vocalist who was one of us.

Thanks for reading this,

PJT
Past Member

Thanks so much for your story PJT, as soon as I read about Nancy I headed over to YouTube and you're so right, she has a beautiful voice, and so sad she is no longer with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9gHB6yOmFU

Thanks for the introduction,
Jo x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

What a lovely tribute to your friend. Thank you for sharing that inspirational story.

Mike

Thank you PJT. Nancy has a very beautiful voice. She was taken from us too soon.