Blowout!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
eehuffman
Yesterday was a shocker. I started back to work last Wednesday after 4+ weeks of medical leave. I received my ileostomy on March 23.
Things at work have been going pretty well. I brought an "emergency kit" with me each day, just in case. It contained an extra pouch (that I precut), gloves, wipes, underwear, a shirt, and pants. I was beginning to think that I didn't need it -- the pouches seemed to be working fine for me. Think again.
As I sat at lunch, I looked down to see a stain on my light brown (of course) pants. I thought, "Uh oh, something's wrong." When I reached into my pants to check, I was surprised that there was poop on my hand. Arrrrgggggghhhhh!
I cleaned up in the bathroom and went home. "What went wrong?" I wondered. The bag was relatively empty, it wasn't bloated with gas -- I had no sign that this was coming.
Since then, I've done some research and contacted an Ostomy Nurse at my local hospital. Do I have the wrong bag (Hollister 5561)? My temporary ileostomy does have a "mound" on it. Does that mean that I need a convex pouch? Am I trimming my wafer too close to the stoma? I talked to a local pharmacist who mentioned wipes, stoma paste, and other products. There are so many types of pouches and accessories.
What do I need to do in order to feel secure in public? I do not want this to happen again.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Hello Gene, after reading your post I feel that what I went through and finally got to the point of feeling confident goes like this. In my shed I had a piece of 1'' dowell that I marked to the one inch from the end and using my grinder tapered from one inch down to a half inch, hope you get the picture, then I got some Hollister Adapt rings, and when I got the size i needed I marked the dowell. Now, using a hair dryer on low for about 20 seconds and the adapt ring about ten inches away let it warm up then slide it on the tapered dowell to my mark 7/8 (forgot, take the paper off one side first) now when you get the perfect size, even touching the stoma say, 1/32 all around and be sure the stoma is completely dry, now when you slide it over the stoma nothing can get by it,so when you put the wafer on it won't matter if its perfectly aligned, just rub your fingers around the flange area pushing a bit lightly with your stomach muscles pushing out and you pushing gently around the flange as close as you can.
After four years of having blowouts, leaking flanges a lovely lady on here told me about the rings and the hair dryer, now I can get a week out of the flange and change the pouch at about the third day, worked wonders for me, hope this helps, Ed
PS: I should mention I only use the adhesive wipes, then dry thoroughly, nothing else, no paste or Barrier wipes.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady
Oh, poor you, you have been well and truly initiated into the ostomy club!

I'm afraid that it all takes a bit of time to get used to the stoma and find the products that suit you - at home it isn't so bad, but when out and about, a different situation entirely...... I remember being asked by one of my clients if I had spilled coffee down my front, and on another occasion having to leave the staff conference as everything went "bang" whilst I was having lunch ....

I just took every opportunity to keep checking the thing, and put paper towels or sanitary towels between pouch and clothes so that I could catch it in time, as I found that once you had a proper leak, starting to peel off the clothes etc to clean up, just seemed to spread it everywhere and the facilities in the workplace aren't really geared up for that!

I often find that I can feel it nowadays if about to leak, sort of feel it 'creeping' across my skin ... but as I have now been unable to work for over 2 years, it isn't so much of an issue for me.

I would say it's a bit of a case of trial and error, and I've not been much help other than to say you are not alone .... good luck. Rach xx
eehuffman
Thank you, Gutenberg. It seems that preparation is the key. The barrier rings look quite interesting... I see that they can be molded into shapes. My stoma is elliptical (about 31mm x 35mm right and shrinking). I would need an accurate measurement and stretch to properly fit the barrier. I would prefer that to worrying every time I cut the wafer to fit.

Someone emailed me and mentioned shaving the stomach area. I haven't yet shaved (I was shaven for surgery), but the hair is back and it hurts to remove the wafer. I also feel it pulling while I wear the pouch. Do you shave?
Mike

When this happened to you, you were luckily close to home. It happened to me on the I-15 going to Las Vegas. I had to stop and I actually found a motel that didn't charge for the use of a shower because they hadn't cleaned it yet. It's just a series of trial and error. Good luck to you.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lottagelady

Hi, I meant to say in my post to try the barrier rings, such as Adapt rings, Eakins seals or Dermacol collars, but my brain fog is at its worst ...........

Past Member

Hey and welcome. You will have a little trouble until you figure out what system works for you...everyone is a bit different. Not to worry as you will work it out and get your confidence back. I will add just a little to the excellent advice already given. Yes, you will need to shave the area. Also, it makes a difference what kind of soap you use to wash the area directly under your flange (make sure it has no perfumes or moisturizers), I use the yellow "Dial" brand. Best bet is to contact the different ostomy manufacturers and talk to their customer service reps...they will be happy to provide you with samples of various flanges and pouches, skin preps, and barrier rings. From there, trial and error will determine the best combo for your needs. I would suggest you note the time and date when you change on the calendar so you can accurately track wear time performance. Take a small mirror and look things over every day before you dress and you will soon learn what to look for. If you need help or suggestions, PM me for my phone number.
Don't worry....everyone must go through this learning process...you will master it. Regards. G
gutenberg
Luckily I don't have to shave, but to get back to the dowell again, they come in 1 1/4'' so say you set it for around 34mm and as you stretch it to 35mm the 34 should come close to 33mm thus giving you your elipse, and when you find the right combination just mark it and you have a jig that will give you the same size all the time, until it shrinks, and then a new mark, and away you go, hope that helps, Ed

PS: On the Forum Home Page Ask A question at the bottom of the page is a post I did a while ago with pictures that may give you some ideas, some people are really nimble with their fingers, I am not one, Ed
weewee

Hi all
I blowout everyday. I use tape, med spray, rings - you name it, I have tried it. I get to wear my wafer for 12 hours, that is pushing it before I have a major blowout. Yes, you can feel when you get to a leak or smell it - just a little ripper in the air. I check around my wafer a lot so I can catch the leak and stuff toilet paper in the spot, then tape it. When I am out, I learned never to go out without backup or you wind up in a world of shit. But when you bring what you need, it doesn't happen as much as if you didn't. It's better to be prepared for the worst before it happens. Plus, like me, I have a high mucus-producing stoma and I melt the wafer backing. Have you tried putting fingernail polish on your wafer around the hole you cut? The acrylic is supposed to help. It didn't work for me. Then they have acrylic supplies. Also, the spray I use is from Hollister #7730.

cah71478
Dear eehoffman....I am so sorry to hear of your leak at work...I agree with others that once a leak has occurred, cleaning up and applying a new bag at work is really hard..being able to go home and change is the best. I find myself in tears when it happens and it has been 6 years that I have had an ileostomy! One thing that has helped me are Eakin seals applied between the bag and skin (I put it on the sticky part of the bag prior to application). A too tight seal can lead to leaks (too big can lead to skin breakdown). You will learn what is best for you. I have never had luck with paste or anything that is supposed to help the bag stick other than the Eakin seal. I have found some nice products at Koolostomy.com (bag covers that help protect when leaking can start.) Hang in there!!!!!
loren4life
Blowouts are never fun! My blowouts essentially stopped after starting to wear the little one-inch ostomy belt. It reduces the movement and pressure on the wafer. And I don't use any pastes, rings, etc. Just skin barrier prep. Besides my belly button, the surgeons have created another large skin dimple to confound the seal of my wafer. I am going to try the heat method (hairdryer) on the wafer before applying to see if that helps. I place my warm hand over the wafer now for five minutes for the same heat effect.

I'm on the road a lot and dearly love those large Walmart RR! And they have two sets of RR in case one is closed for cleaning.

Loren