ConvaTec - Join Me+ Now
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - Less Uncertainty More Flexibility
ConvaTec - request sample
ConvaTec - Join Me+ Now
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
Meet and talk to 17,630 OstoMates.

Colostomy Reversal Now Ileostomy - Help!

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
  Past Member
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:03 pm
I had an attempted colostomy reversal, they found yet another leak and now I have an ileostomy.  I am having trouble getting my bag on before any output and it's made the skin below my stoma very red and raw.  Anyone have tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:26 pm
I also have an ileostomy and whenever I have had any skin irritation around the stoma I use Hollister Adapt stoma powder.  It works very well and clears things fast.  When  do you change your pouch?  I find  that first thing in the morning works best.  Stoma less active and makes the process much easier.  Hope this is helpful.
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:27 pm
Hey,

I know lottagelady is having this trouble at the moment, maybe she can give you some tricks and tips.

The only advice I've got is soaking it before replacing it.

Hope your matter gets dealt with!

Tim x
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:29 am
Just a tip I was given, eat some marshmallows about an hour before bag changes,, slow it down to a stop almost,, Some days Squirters behaves others days he don't, Just gotta try and stop it getting on your skin. If it does pure lavender oil fixes it up quick.
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:29 am
Just a tip I was given, eat some marshmallows about an hour before bag changes,, slow it down to a stop almost,, Some days Squirters behaves others days he don't, Just gotta try and stop it getting on your skin. If it does pure lavender oil fixes it up quick.
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:12 am
Hi there, Tim was right, 10 bags in 2 days was a bit too many - seem to be back to normal now and skin has settled but was red raw and bleeding .....

Whilst going through that I used a product spray to remove the adhesiove gently (had samples of Appeel and Dansac and both were fine; just warm water for cleaning and dried with a hairdryer. I then used a powder - the Hollister Adapt powder was good, which they sent to me (puff on then remove excess with a paper fan or blow off the excess; and I also used a lubricating gel in my pouch as I tended to be 'pancaking' a bit at the top. Once all on again, I used the hairdryer on low to warm it all up to increase the adhesion.  

As you say, trying to change it whilst it is working makes life a lot more difficult so I would give Steve's idea a try too....? If your output is also very liquid, there are also sachets which you can get which will  thicken it into a gel.

Hope some of that helps

Rach xxxx
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:48 am
Hey Steve, good to see you, I hope by now all your troubles are behind you. Question re marshmallows, how many  do you eat before they work? Ed

Last edited by gutenberg on Tue May 25, 2010 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:53 am
Hi Ya Rachel, this has got my curiosity going re.
"sachet" how is it used, Drink?,Snort it what? And a name that I could look up, Ed
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 am
Me too.  I would like to know about the sachet that thickens.  I have pure liquid and it is very heavy, particularly when exercising.

Thanks, Lynn
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm
I also have an ileostomy (going in for reversal 29th july) i used to be in agony at times, it was the raw skin around the stoma it felt as if someone was rubbing salt into it. When i told the stoma nurse she straight away put 'CAVILON' on the soreness and measured my stoma, i'd been cutting to big a hole in the bag, instant relief. Hope it works for you.
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:32 pm
SINCE MY OSTOMY OPERATION,I FOUND THAT CERTAIN THINGS GIVE THE SKIN A RED NESS AND RASH,OF COURSE,CHECK THE INSIDE CIRCLE OF THE FLANGE TO SEE IF ANY ACID LEAKED INTO THE INNER AREA AND IF SO,THIS WILL CAUSE IRRITATION.
SECONDLY,WHEN I HAVE A BATH,I PUT BAKING SODA AND APPLE CIDER VINEGAR INTO MY WATER IN SMALL AMOUNTS,AND THIS MAY HELP CURB  MY SKIN CONDITION USUALLY AND HELPS PROMOTE HEALING OF SORTS.
ANYWAY REMOVE FLANGE CAREFULLY,AND DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE STOMA.
ACCEPT IT AS IT IS PART OF YOU.
HOPE THIS HELPS!
MIKE IN CANADA
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:34 pm
I also have an ileostomy and find that changing it first thing in the morning works best for me. Remove the old bag, shower and lay on your bed for about a half hour with nothing over the stoma. Keep paper towels cut in squares underneath the stoma and if anything comes out just throw the top square away (keeping a bag next to you for the dirty ones).
I think it helps the skin to air dry for a little while. Then spray around the stoma with Cavilon No Sting Barrier. Use the powder first if you're having problems with your skin. Making sure to blow off all the extra powder before putting on the sting barrier. Then put the new pouch on and lay with your hands covering the stoma area - they say the warmth of your hands also makes it stick better. Another trick is while you're laying on the bed relaxing put the new pouch under your butt to warm it before you peel the covering off.  Hope these little tips help.
Kinder
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:52 pm

gutenberg wrote:
Hi Ya Rachel, this has got my curiosity going re.
"sachet" how is it used, Drink?,Snort it what? And a name that I could look up, Ed

Hi all ....

Well, it does say on the packet 'do not swallow', so I presume you could snort it or use it as a suppository????

However, what I do is place it in the pouch either when putting it on if output is thin or when draining, just shove it in the bottom!

It really does work so I would say only use if you have a liquid output or it will be so thick you will end up 'pancaking' ....

Products such as: (not sure if codes are UK only???)

ABSORBAGEL, OPUS HEALTHCARE - order code 9900

INDEPENDENCE PRODUCTS - order code P100AS

OSTOSORB from OSTOMART - order code PFW5/PFW6

MORFORM - ?????? but a major manufacturer I think?

ILEO GEL+, BRAUN - order code 005012E

These are all samples I have picked up at a recent roadshow in the UK ....

Hope you guys across the pond can find something similar if not the above, though I think OSTOMART is available over there?

Rach xxxx
Nurse
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:44 am
Have you ever heard of "The Stoma Cup"?  It looks like a clever idea...

This is copied from an ad from another website...
Designed in cooperation with ET Nurses, it's a unique device worn between the removal of your used appliance and the attachment of your new appliance. The Stoma Cup attaches easily with an ostomy belt. The Stoma Cup gives you a third hand, holding a piece of absorbent material over your stoma to catch any unintended flow.  You'll now experience the freedom and convenience of having both hands free to clean up and attach your appliance.  

TOWEL-DOWN WITH BOTH HANDS!
Eliminates the need to use one hand to hold any absorbent on your stoma after showering!  May be used to protect your stoma during bathing or showering!   When bathing or showering it feels like you don't have a stoma, no more wet bags.

http://rcscompany.com/cup.html

Might be worth checking into.   

Best wishes,
Joy
* Creator of the "Anatomical Apron"
Clinical Instructor for WCEI
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm
The marsh mellow trick works for me ALMOST every time I change my bag.  I eat 4 marsh mellows about an hour before I change (first thing in the morning) and I usually have no out put at all while showering and then putting on the new "RIG".
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.