Colostomy - What to Eat Before/During a Flight

In this discussion
Replies
Views
shakysgirl

Hi everyone, my husband and I are going on holiday on Saturday. Our last flight was very embarrassing. My hubby had a full English breakfast before the flight, and all the way home, the smell was really bad. A lot of the passengers were complaining, thinking the smell was coming from the toilet (thank God we sat near the front). I thought I would make some sandwiches to take with us, but I'm not sure what to put in the sandwich that won't give my husband bad wind.
Thanks in advance.

Shakysgirl

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I would guess that was the egg and beans. Lol.

Try and eat something that is low in protein.

Tim x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
shakysgirl

I just googled all the foods that are low in protein, and there doesn't seem to be anything suitable for a sandwich.

weewee

Peanut butter sandwiches are best for me to travel with. It doesn't make me have to dump for a couple of hours. I even eat them before bed so I am not so active at night.

Past Member

Here are a few ideas:

Peanut butter.
Pasta.
Ham.
Chicken.
Bacon.

If you think about it, a full breakfast includes bacon, sausages, beans, and eggs. Altogether, that is at least 70g of protein. And the body can't store protein, so all the waste of protein will just go right through the body.

Tim x

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

Yes, eggs are just about the worst smelling! I agree with the peanut butter, banana, rice or tapioca puddings (unless you are lactose intolerant). White bread toast or a bagel and peanut butter would be my choices for air travel (or Nutella if you can't stand peanut butter). Also, taking 2 Beano tablets before any good-sized meal or gassy foods really helps me. I even had sauerkraut yesterday (for the first time in 8 years) and with the Beano beforehand I was OK!