My "Hawaiian Punch" Experience

In this discussion
Replies
Views
PJT

You would think that after having an ileostomy for over 30 years there would be no more surprises for me. Well, as we say here in New York... fuggedaboudit. ("Forget about it" for non-New Yorkers )

A few weeks ago I went food shopping and decided to pick up some red colored Hawaiian Punch, which I always loved as a kid. I drank a glass or two when I got home and it tasted just as good as I remembered. Later that day, I went to the bathroom to empty my bag and I noticed the contents were bright red. Yikes! Not making the connection to the Hawaiian Punch I drank earlier, I got a little nervous to put it mildly. "What the ________(fill in the blank) is happening to me now," I was thinking to myself. Finally, I remembered the Hawaiian Punch I drank earlier and let out a sigh of relief. I then went back downstairs and celebrated with, you guessed it, a glass of Hawaiian Punch.

I know it's kind of a silly story, but hopefully it will prevent a similar scare for you the next time you get the urge to drink Hawaiian Punch!

PJT

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Haha,

There's a red wine out that makes your stools turn blue.

Just shows how much coloring is in our food.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee

Watch out for anything red. It gets you a good one. Thank God I don't drink red wine. I will stay with my rums. Love the Captain.

gutenberg
Hi PJT, I can certainly relate to your story. After an extra large portion of baby red beets with salt and pepper and emptying my pouch it was -----NO, ------NO ----- no then I remembered the beets, but man, what a scare, thinking of another surgery, I keep wondering what it will be next, Ed
Franicaa

Sounds like a familiar story! I drank blue Powerade and instead of regular poo, I was greeted with bright green stool! Haha

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Tim, I love red wine, not sure which one turns your stool blue. I would freak out as I have a glass every day. Anyway, all of these were funny but still I would have been stunned also if it happened to me. A good one, Tim. Thanks for the laugh, Jenny.

hummingbird

The same thing happened to me. Be aware that if you eat red beets, the color is deeper and scarier. Life with a bag!

gutenberg
HUMMINGBIRD: Greetings, I remember that a hummingbird has a heartbeat of around 900 beats per min, I think I was getting close to that for a few minutes, LOL, Ed
PS: for supper tonight its barbecued pork chops potatoes and BABY BEETS.
bikerboy

When I eat green Gogurt (yogurt), it comes out blue and it's still cold.
Bikerboy

Past Member
, you sound like a normal man to me. When you mix certain foods, plus the acid in your tummy, it could change the color of your poo. Not too big of a worry, I don't think, but if you are worried, then call your doctor. Just remember it's the Fourth of July this weekend and have to go out with a blast of fireworks. I love going to Tybee Island and standing in the ocean and watching the palm trees light up the sky. It is so beautiful. I sure hope you get to enjoy the 4th as we all do. Plus, I do one awesome picnic and we just make a day of it. My son and his girlfriend are going to be here from DC also, so we will have lots of fun. My FBI almost daughter-in-law is coming back to her senses, thank the Lord. I love that girl. I've known her since she was 16 and she is also 32, and we are really close. I just got mad at her for a short period, but am over that now. I didn't know she hurt her nose so bad and broke it. She didn't tell me, and she finally text messaged my youngest, and he told me. So, I plan on one big party this weekend. God bless you, bikerboy, and you keep our highways safe for us all. God bless you. Love, Jenny.
PJT
Hi all,

I'm glad you got a kick out of that story. It's nice that we can laugh at ourselves and our situation. When I first had my ileostomy, I told my friends right off the bat that they could make fun of it. I didn't want them to feel uptight. Of course, they took me up on my offer but that's another story!

PJT
SheliaBaby

Had my surgery when I was young....urostomy. I was pretty much knocked out and could not have anything but liquids. My mom felt sorry for me and gave me a LifeSaver.......a red one!
All of a sudden the nurses started panicking......they thought I was "bleeding" because my pee looked "red". Mom had to "confess".....and got chewed out. LOL Sheila