Any suggestions?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tine

Hi all
As some of you are aware, I'm having a lot of problems with leakages, etc.
The skin around my stoma is constantly red raw as my urine is constantly sat in "a well". My stoma nurse has tried everything on the market to ease this but to no avail.....was just wondering if anyone could come up with any suggestions for me as I'm now in pain every time I urinate and as you all can imagine, it's getting me down

Many thanks

Tine....xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Tine, I don't know what country you are in and I should have looked. No one should be going through this. I do know you need to keep that area dry, and I am not sure, but it sounds like you need to get a urologist to give you some kind of antibiotic for your skin while it is healing up. I am probably no help, but I didn't want leakage, so I found my own way for that not to happen. I really take off my wafer and pouch, and I shower with Dial Gold and wash my skin very well every day. I do my hair first so no conditioner gets near where my wafer will be when I get out of the shower. I just know what works for me. I dry that area very well when I get out, and I put stoma powder around my stoma and wipe it with my fingers as I was taught to do by my own stoma nurse. I then use a barrier wipe to pat it until the powder you can no longer see. I do this two more times, and when my last barrier is used, I use two of them instead of one, as this is what works for me. I make sure you see no stoma powder on my skin. I then have my wafer with stoma paste that I left there for a full minute to go on the dry skin around my stoma. I push it on gently and use my fingertip to circle it until it feels like it is on good. I know some people use a blow dryer. I use a hospital glove and put it in hot water and tie it and hold it on my newly put on pouch for five minutes. I have a colostomy, and it is probably not even close, but I know urine is not good to sit on the skin for any length of time, and it hurts just thinking someone is in that kind of pain. I also want you to know, I don't bend or sit for 30 minutes after I do this, as I don't want that seal broken. I have had no problem with leakage the way I am doing it. I wish this would help you, but I do know you have to get your skin to heal up as soon as you can before you do too much of anything. God bless you, and I wish you the best, Jenny.
PS. I would really call my doctor and not a nurse if this was happening to me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
Hi tine... I can ony say to you that the following works well for me... stomach curvature may have some bearing on how well the seal makes up and holds.. I use a regular wafer, not a curved one...but my tummy isn,t flat either... those days are well past lol.. hope this helps. However I agree, do see your DR. to get your skin healty.
Changing a wafer....
Thought it might be helpful to explain how I approach changing a wafer as it seems much simpler than many I have read about or had discussions with... Mine Is an illiostomy...lots of liquid with the usual stomach acids so if it gets to the skin it can be pretty irritating...as it is I have had an illiostomy for 11 months with no stoma skin related problems.. I will qualify it and say though, that it can itch at times especially around the outside of the wafer and it is hard to resist scratching... also by the 5 th to 7 th day it usually itches under the wafer...ie time to change it.

General Overview: 2 piece Coloplast, Stoma 1.5 inches below the belt line, wear braces no stoma belt, use Coloplast shaving powder, baby wipes, toilet paper, Coloplast strip paste 2655, Cavilon barrier Film ( Spray). 3M 1 in. Transpore tape.
Result : good fit, occasional leakage but hardy any and no skin irritation.

Procedure:
1. Take shower don't worry about wafer getting wet, remove if you wish prior to shower
2. Prepare wafer cut (size) stoma hole to within 1 MM of the stoma size
3. Take 5 to 6 CM of paste, role between hands to about 10 CM in length. The shape is important to proper sealing?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /o:p/o:p
4. Run the rolled paste strip around the inside hole of the wafer...close as possible. The paste MUST fill any small voids between the stoma and edge of the wafer as well as create a 5 to 6 MM seal between the skin and wafer
5. Remove wafer and bago:p/o:p
6. Clean stoma and area thoroughly with toilet paper or wet facecloth and baby wipes
7. Apply shaving powder, shave ,remove thoroughly any residual powder, and snip away any remaining hairs close to stoma ( BE CAREFULL )
8. Wipe with baby wipes and dry with face cloth or toilet paper
9. Spray area with barrier film, or use a barrier film wipeo:p/o:p
10.Attach prepared wafer around stoma and with little finger compress the area around the stoma to set the paste ie. To drive it between stoma and edge of wafer. Attach bag
11.Pull on pants so that the pressure of the pants, and body heat, on the new wafer bag will help spread the paste and ensure the seal.
12.If the edges of the wafer is or becomes loose from the skin , apply the 3M tape.
13.Always tape the top and sides of the wafer before a shower ( if not changing wafer), remove after a shower and dry surrounding surface.
Process takes about 15 minutes...and has worked so well that I seriously am considering not having a reversal !!!!! If you have any questions feel free to ask..
o:p /o:p
Miss Scarlet

Hi Tine
It is horrible when you have sore skin and leakages. I had a problem with my urostomy for a while. It kept leaking. Then my stoma nurse suggested I change to a convex pouch. It works for me. She said my stoma had retracted a bit and the urine was running down the side of the bag and destroying the seal. So the convex shape stops this.
Hope you get a solution.
Maureen

Pinky

Hi Tine - I was having leakage with my colostomy, and a red itchy rash around the stoma. After I got my rash cleared up through antifungal medication and Desenex powder, I started using an Eakin seal under the flange. It works well to fill in the little nooks and crannies, and is sticky as hell so it makes the wafer stick better overall. Good luck!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi... my point of the post had virtually nothing to do with shaving your stomach (just a part of the process if necessary) but everything to do with what works, at least for me, in filling the space around the stoma to minimize leaks and discomfort... you have to experiment in this business before you get it right... Genny, your approach must work.... how about sharing some how-tos... Thanks

tine
Thank you Jenny...Scotiaman1....Maureen...Pinky and Gutenburg (your inbox message) for your replies.
I'm currently using Hollister Moderma Flex pouch (which my stoma nurse had to fight for me to get without paying for) with Hollister Adapt rings. I have tried all the barriers, etc., and have even tried Salts adhesive solution. I have lost a lot of weight and am awaiting a date for surgery for a tummy tuck and repositioning of the stoma.

My consultant isn't the best...he tends to leave it all down to my stoma nurse.

I always make sure the skin around my stoma is dry, etc., when putting a new bag on and have tried many things to fill "the well" up with but to no avail...my stoma is very inverted and like you, Maureen, it always goes out through the sides.

Over the next few days, I am going to try each technique you all have advised me with.

A really big thanks to you all...will keep you all posted.

Tine...xx
Past Member

Tine, you will love your tummy tuck. I had one when I was 32 and they do last for life, except now I have to have another one if I can talk my surgeon into it. I am talking about where I was cut in the middle of my tummy. I need to talk to all my doctors and make sure it will be safe now that my chances of a hernia are high. If you are getting a full tummy tuck, you will walk bent over for about six weeks, but it won't stop you from doing what you want, or it didn't for me. Good luck with that and I hope you feel better soon, Jenny.

lottagelady

My consultant isn't the best....he tends to leave it all down to my stoma nurse.

A really big thanks to you all......will keep you all posted.

Tine......xx[/quote]

Tine - time to get on the net and find a different consultant methinks ....... or see if anyone here has a good one from a urostomy perspective and can recommend???

Not having confidence in one's consultant ain't gonna help - I know, I have changed mine 3 times now as the first two failed several times!

Huggles

Rach xxxxxxx

justjohn9
Hello Tine,
I just went through the recent replies, and there are many tricks that we have learned through trial and error. If you have a 1-800 number to Hollister, and are able to call them, they have nurses there that can help you also, and recommend the right wafer for you. My memory of the replies here were Lady Scarlett from Glasgow suggested a convex wafer. Correct me if I am wrong, but you said your stoma is inverted somewhat. The convexity of the wafer replaces the well you have, and if they make one with the Flextend feature where the wafer expands around the stoma, then the battle is more than half won. I myself had similar problems with my ileostomy and the substance is very acidic. My ET nurse, urologist, and dermatologist needed to be further trained to learn these things by us fellow ostomates. The dermatologist wouldn't even touch it and prescribed a cream with an oil base that is not recommended for any ostomy wafer. My prayers are with you so that you can be healed of this ordeal and have many more years to enjoy your journey here on Earth.
May God bless you.

John E.
justjohn9
Hello again Tine,
I tried to use the chat here, but they want money for that. I have had my ostomy since 1989, and others here have similar longevity. My experiences with doctors is that they do not know anything about the products out there, that is why we have stoma nurses. And at times they are limited. I spent a lot of time on the Hollister website and also others such as Con-Vatech, etc. There was a time where I had to take control of my ostomy and the ostomy not to control me. I have had 20 some years of practice so it has become a part of me. I can change my ostomy now in less than five minutes and the procedures I take are completely my own. The reason I say that is because stomas are like snowflakes, not two are alike. Once you get to know it for yourself, you can get back to surrounding yourself around your children's lives and watch them grow into beautiful men and women as you know they can be. God is with you always and in all ways.

John E.
shitzengiggles
Hi Tine, I have felt your pain!! Belly rash is just no fun .... ever!!! I'm agreeing with whoever suggested calling Hollister or Convatec or emailing them from their sites. You'd think gravity would keep everything in the bottom of the bag but no, of course not! Also, I think Justjohn is right on about the convex wafer if they make one for cystostomies???? I've used them for my colostomy, but I imagine intestinal stomas are very different from urethra(?) stomas. Hollister, Convatec, the others are great to ask questions. At least that has been my experience. I'm pretty sure there are # in the UK for at least Hollister...... Come on UK 'rs! Help out this lady on your side of the pond!!! LOL
tine

Hi all

Just to let you all know, I've finally received an email from a consultant saying that both consultants are getting together and arranging a date... so snotty emails and numerous phone calls do get you somewhere... fingers crossed it's soon.

Tine...xx