Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,177 members

Easy Odor Fix

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted by 1victs, on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:38 pm
now you are just too funny!!!! Love your sense of humor on this site!!

Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 pm
When I was in nursing school the nursing home had us use either mouthwash(works well)
Or alittle more expensive is asprins in the bag takes the smell away!  I think I:ll try the baking soda would keep it clean as well!  If you fing that thinggs are clinging to the bag line your bad wil some veggie oil!

Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 am
I put baking soda in everything, so it was natural that it be my first colostomy hack. Today I found a bottle of charcoal from when we had a fish tank and I put that in there too.

i read about bag liners and they seem like a godsend. Has anyone used them? I've been making my own by poking holes around the top a condom (lubricated, but I washed it with soap) or a rubber glove and snapping them around the flange part of the wafer. I make sure the tupperware is clicked securely and it's great! The visiting nurse came today and she said it was odd but ok. She's right, right? Rubbery, stretchy stuff won't mess anything up? I poke a ton of holes so I think I'm getting air in there and letting it out, too. I just don't get why everyone doesn't do that and I can't find any mention of using condoms and rubber gloves. I Googled for a few hours - that's how I found this site.

Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 am
on another ostomy support site, someone was going to experiment with the fish tank charcoal, but i don't remember them reporting back. so, it does work then?

Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:24 pm
It works fine, but I've been sitting here by myself and am so sensitive to smells I keep imagining them! I want to get some of those giant condoms vets use. It would be slightly less gruesome looking!

Reply by Traveling Lady, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 pm
My Coloplast bag has a charcoal filter but haven't figured it out as my bag still blows up like a balloon when I pass gas.  I find baby oil works well to lubricate the bag to keep those gooey stools easy to empty and it helps with the odor as well.  You can even buy little travel size bottles to carry in your purse (or man-purse).

Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:17 pm

MeMeMe wrote:

i read about bag liners and they seem like a godsend.

i have used the liners and they work well, they are flushable so easy to dispose of. they are simply very , very thin plastic bags. the maker will give you a few free samples to try. i think colomajic was the brand name. i now irrigate and find it far superior to any other method to control leaks, order, and extend wear time of both the flange and pouch. what type ostomy do you have and have you been informed about irrigation?? not everyone qualifies but if the remaining colon is healthy, its well worth the effort. good luck

Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Traveling Lady wrote:
My Coloplast bag has a charcoal filter but haven't figured it out as my bag still blows up like a balloon when I pass gas.  I find baby oil works well to lubricate the bag

TL, if the filter becomes clogged it will no longer allow air to pass through. the baby oil will clog it in short order, so that may be a factor. i use a non-drainable mid size pouch with filter, i always put a tic tac and a small folded up square of tissue in the very bottom of the pouch to catch any liquid. this prolongs the filters life. i can go 2-3 days before the filter stops working. as a rule if i`m out in public i simply change the pouch daily, i feel better. but on days i am home especially if i`m working outdoors i may wear a pouch several days.

Reply by Past Member, on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:07 am
[quote="MeMeMe"]It works fine, but I've been sitting here by myself and am so sensitive to smells I keep imagining them!quote]

i think we all suffer the imaginary smells. Someone on another forum suggested to get in bed, stick your head under the covers and then smell.

Reply by Past Member, on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:13 am

Traveling Lady wrote:
My Coloplast bag has a charcoal filter ...

until the filter is perfect, not just with the filtering, but not getting mucked up on the inside, a filter is just a fancy way of saying "hole".

Reply by Frenchie55, on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:26 am
What a great idea, I never would have thought of that.  Gus, I fully agree, it can reek at times  lol  good save.  Thanks

Reply by banshie3by5, on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:22 pm
baking soda, tic tacs & altoids....great ideas all....THANKS!! I've been using the lubricant deodarant and didn't think the deodarant part worked, lol

Reply by littlewheel, on Fri May 20, 2011 7:02 pm
Now if we can get Arm & Hammer to make baking soda in "little pill form" for carrying convenience.....

Reply by Happiness, on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:13 pm
I've used a couple squirts of hydrogen peroxide for years, but i LOVE the altoid or tic tac idea can't wait to try it!  Thanks

Reply by kbd, on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:33 am
This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to add my experience to it:
tic tacs--they help and are easy to carry with you.
hydrogen peroxide--this helps with the odor.
altoids--a couple of these added to the bag were my best experience at helping to eliminate odor, plus they are portable, and here in the US can usually be found in the check out aisle at walmart.
KBD
Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.